Preamp recommendations for future upgrade

7 hours ago, tripitaka said:

Thank you for asking, Aperalim. Until very recently, I prefered a Dac -> power amp direct arrangement. So, it was easy to see whether said preamp (I don't wish to mention names, because I no longer believe in hifi absolutes) actually made an improvement or detracted. Of course that particular question revolved around the quality of my dac output stage, which I didnt expect to be stellar, but which stood up well in that particular context.

Given a straight wire also requires shielding and represents little resistance, what attenuation method, did you use  ?

1 hour ago, stereo coffee said:

Given a straight wire also requires shielding and represents little resistance, what attenuation method, did you use  ?

Thanks for asking, Stereocoffee. it's a long time ago but I reckon I used an in-line Lpad (10dB) to approximately cancel the preamp gain (12dB), with the preamp volume remaining fixed at all times at 100%. For each comparison, I would then cycle through different listening levels using the dac volume control (in dsd mode).

Certainly my point is not to cast aspersions on the preamp itself (which I havent named) but rather to note that within my individual system this active preamp which 'measured' very well added nothing good and detracted from the sound in some ways. This was assessed, not with a spectrum analyser, but with the unreliable oganic material comprising my ears and brain (I cant recall whether any red wine was involved).

This experiment supported my own pre-conception that preamps were unnecessary.  I happen to have since changed my mind, based on acquiring a far more expensive preamp, but this also must caveated as applying to my system and my ears, so my beliefs and preferences hold possibly zero relevance to anyone else.

Edited by tripitaka

Personally I'm in the no sound signature except the source camp so I'll be trying an LDR passive pre shortly. My existing LTA MZ3 is about as good as an active gets in terms of transparency though the better low volume performances of an LDR is calling me. That's purely because I've invested in some extremely nice sources and I want to just hear those if at all possible.

I do need to try a a Coffee LDR at some point.  Curious in how the DACGEAR one I have coming compares. My understanding is the 2020 Coffee LDR is the best sounding of the lot :)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tripitaka said:

This was assessed, not with a spectrum analyser, but with the unreliable oganic material comprising my ears and brain (I cant recall whether any red wine was involved).

Sound quality assessments are generally invalid without the use of red wine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 20/06/2020 at 10:53 PM, tripitaka said:

Hi Stereocoffee, you seem rather willing to advise members but without obvious (or at least unstated) expertise for doing so, other than your understandable enthusiasm to sell a product.  I genuinely wish you well with your (no doubt excellent) product but please consider how your comments might be perceived by others, this is a public forum after all.  A successful ambassador for a product might consider an approach which is more accommodating of different views, which will be based on different, if not wider, experience.

I couldn’t see any problem with Stereocoffee’s comment above. I suggest discuss the topic rather who he is or what he knows 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, tripitaka said:

Thanks for asking, Stereocoffee. it's a long time ago but I reckon I used an in-line Lpad (10dB) to approximately cancel the preamp gain (12dB), with the preamp volume remaining fixed at all times at 100%. For each comparison, I would then cycle through different listening levels using the dac volume control (in dsd mode).

Certainly my point is not to cast aspersions on the preamp itself (which I havent named) but rather to note that within my individual system this active preamp which 'measured' very well added nothing good and detracted from the sound in some ways. This was assessed, not with a spectrum analyser, but with the unreliable oganic material comprising my ears and brain (I cant recall whether any red wine was involved).

This experiment supported my own pre-conception that preamps were unnecessary.  I happen to have since changed my mind, based on acquiring a far more expensive preamp, but this also must caveated as applying to my system and my ears, so my beliefs and preferences hold possibly zero relevance to anyone else.

So what was crucial in changing your mind was the “expensive”. I’ve never heard of that electronic component, or is that an emotion?

Edited by Shebang

12 hours ago, Shebang said:

I couldn’t see any problem with Stereocoffee’s comment above. I suggest discuss the topic rather who he is or what he knows 

Fair enough, I'm duly chastised and will keep my nose out of matters in future. What you were reading was an expression of my frustration over how many preamp threads tend to turn into 'LDR Passives are the greatest', which - even if true - makes pretty boring reading.

To make certain that I dont give any future offense I will cease reading them ?

Apologies for any offense given.

1 hour ago, tripitaka said:

What you were reading was an expression of my frustration over how many preamp threads tend to turn into 'LDR Passives are the greatest', which - even if true - makes pretty boring reading.

I'm in agreement with that....  It's like "the do cables make a difference" threads.... Ditto caps etc. Some topics just can't seem to be discussed without two opposing viewpoints who voraciously defend their viewpoints unfortunately. DSD vs red book, vinyl vs digital etc etc.

Edited by MattyW

Just now, sir sanders zingmore said:

It does make a change from "ME components are the greatest" but I agree, it is getting tiresome

Last time someone kept indirectly telling us how awesome class D amps were over and over again, and dissing everything else because measurements, because blind testing, without directly mentioning the product they were selling, things went very south for the discussion, and the poster concerned. Let's not end up there again. Ironically in both situations I have respect for the components involved, I just don't see them as the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Everything has its place and I'm happy to recommend them when appropriate.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

Last time someone kept indirectly telling us how awesome class D amps were over and over again, and dissing everything else because measurements, because blind testing, without directly mentioning the product they were selling, things went very south for the discussion, and the poster concerned. Let's not end up there again. Ironically in both situations I have respect for the components involved, I just don't see them as the answer to life, the universe, and everything. Everything has its place and I'm happy to recommend them when appropriate.

I know whom you are referring to Con and I've said it before but it bears repeating. I know you and the chap concerned didn't see eye to eye (although I reckon you'd probably get along quite well over a beer) but I have noted that you don't let that get in the way of recommending his products. I respect that.

In the preamp case, I'm actually interested in having a listen. Trouble is, I suspect people will be reluctant to lend me a unit because my negative attitude towards the "marketing" will be confused with a negative attitude towards the product (I have no real opinion of the product itself, not having heard it).

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Don't say that I've just splashed out on one of those items hoping that I get a taste of those esoteric flavours...

• Like 1

I did have "said" pre amp loaned to me a few month ago and I was not impressed to the point of ditching my active tube pre.

However I have ordered "said" pre amp 3 weeks ago (still waiting on delivery! notch notch, wink wink) ( Just received my Miflex caps from Europe I have ordered 2 weeks ago)

I will integrate it in a tube buffer that is currently on the drawing board. The cost of an LDR volume control is comparable to a good quality step attenuator.

• Like 1

On 22/06/2020 at 2:14 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

In the preamp case, I'm actually interested in having a listen. Trouble is, I suspect people will be reluctant to lend me a unit because my negative attitude towards the "marketing" will be confused with a negative attitude towards the product (I have no real opinion of the product itself, not having heard it).

Have you asked anyone to lend you one? I definitely won't mind letting you borrow mine even for 1-2 weeks so you can make an objective comparison with whatever you're currently using. I'm just only 20 minutes drive from your place so message me if you're interested

• Like 2

I do not believe there is any right or wrong way of doing things. I believe if you've an end game source component then a well built LDR preamp is as good as it gets. If not then invest in a high quality active preamp. Either way you end up spending about the same amount of money anyway. I'm of the belief that the best sounding source is the way to go as you can't add what is missing later.... Anything added after the source is simply colouration. Doesn't mean it can't sound good though.

As I said before, there really is no right or wrong way. So long as it satisfies your ears, that's all that matters  :D

With my previous Gieseler GroB DAC, darTZeel NHB108B Model 1 copy power amp and Aurum Cantus F620 speakers my Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 3 preamp was a fantastic performer. On the other hand with my current system (see signature) the LDR Pre totally outclasses the MZ3. Different compoents and approach. The only difference is most of the expense is in the source components now and when you've an incredible source you really don't want to add another flavour to the mix  ;)

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 9:51 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

and another preamp thread turns into a "contactless attenuation" thread :(

That’s a good thing not a bad thing even though there is marketing intent....

Contactless attenuation means no wear and tear so the SQ will be consistent for the life of that product......

• Like 2

• Volunteer
21 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

That’s a good thing not a bad thing even though there is marketing intent....

Contactless attenuation means no wear and tear so the SQ will be consistent for the life of that product......

But for years I was led to believe that ME was the best, the only. Now I have to throw that all away… it's all too confusing... 

• Administrator
On 22/06/2020 at 2:06 PM, Ittaku said:

Well said.

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

But for years I was led to believe that ME was the best, the only. Now I have to throw that all away… it's all too confusing... 

the thing is, you can utilise contactless attenuation in a ME pre or any active pre and do away that prehistoric mechanical pot and make it “better”.   :thumb:

• Like 1

• Volunteer
22 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

the thing is, you can utilise contactless attenuation in a ME pre or any active pre and do away that prehistoric mechanical pot and make it “better”.   :thumb:

I'm pretty sure that mySanders pre already does that:

The Sanders Preamp solves these problems by using the "volume control" knob to drive an optical comparitor circuit.  The optical circuit operates a microprocessor that controls an electronic gain system.  

11 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I'm pretty sure that mySanders pre already does that:

The Sanders Preamp solves these problems by using the "volume control" knob to drive an optical comparitor circuit.  The optical circuit operates a microprocessor that controls an electronic gain system.  

The Sanders preamp volume knob is an optical encoder that generates a on/off or zero/one to a basic microprocessor that controls a PGA 2130 digital attenuator....  the spec for this is +/- 0.05db gain error and +/- 0.05db gain matching for life.....  Does not degrade in accuracy.   

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pga2310.pdf?ts=1593425958728&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FPGA2310

33B2AE84-D6C2-44E3-9D89-48ED39C8E43D.jpeg

F6980AE9-082F-4A93-92B1-7D3C2493D5E7.jpeg

Edited by Addicted to music

• Volunteer
2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

The Sanders preamp volume knob is an optical encoder that generates a on/off or zero/one to a basic microprocessor that controls a PGA 2130 digital attenuator....  the spec for this is +/- 0.05db gain error and +/- 0.05db gain matching for life.....  Does not degrade in accuracy.   

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pga2310.pdf?ts=1593425958728&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ti.com%2Fproduct%2FPGA2310

33B2AE84-D6C2-44E3-9D89-48ED39C8E43D.jpeg

F6980AE9-082F-4A93-92B1-7D3C2493D5E7.jpeg

I'm not sure I understand what that means but it's good, right?

On 18/06/2020 at 11:55 AM, vinilink said:

Doesn't surprise me at all ?

Exactly my 

On 18/06/2020 at 12:10 AM, JohnL said:

Heard a Benchmark DAC2, an OPPO 105 and an OPPO 205 as pre amps.

Then heard an ATC pre amp.

Absolutely no contest.............the DAC/PRE's were all just dull, lifeless and one dimensional.

The ATC pre actually drove my active speakers properly.

Just my experience...?

Totally agree and I know what you are talking about.........

• Like 1