Another Antiskate question

39 minutes ago, Warren Jones said:

Hi Peter,

This is normal and nothing to worry about. My Technics EPA100 does this.

Just set the anti skate to the same as the tracking force and be done.  In a high end system with a lot of detail you can hear the difference, imaging changes because the magnet/coils are not lined up.

Not exactly true.

There is a table somewhere I cant remember who printed it and I am not going to spend hours looking for it, maybe Lenco, but big maybe. Anyway conical elliptical and line contact all have different contact surfaces. More contact will pull the arm in more for given tracking force so line contact for example will need more antiskate than an elliptical.

Chris

Anything that causes additional drag on the stylus will effect Skating force. The largest is groove modulation, a heavily modulated groove will increase Skating force.

So setting AS with a blank LP or an AS track on a Test LP is not the best way to go about it, first will be too little and the second too much AS.

57 minutes ago, Warren Jones said:

Anything that causes additional drag on the stylus will effect Skating force. The largest is groove modulation, a heavily modulated groove will increase Skating force.

So setting AS with a blank LP or an AS track on a Test LP is not the best way to go about it, first will be too little and the second too much AS.

I agree. There is another issue with blank disc, it is the point of the stylus contacting the blank disc not the contact surfaces on the sides of the tip. The more contact area the more friction so the more the pull inwards so a blank disc with tip contact has no relation to correct antiskate.

Chris

90% of all records are produced with slightly off centre stampings, so antiskate is only a guide, unless it's way out. Try hooking up two Fozgometers to your table, one for each channel so you can watch both at the same time, and see what happens with even the slightest bit of off centre. I've had audiophile albums tested this way that showed no sign of side to side arm movement, but the Foz doesn't lie, and there was opposing modulation. Setting up a strong magnifier on a stand showed that there was horizontal movement of maybe a few 10ths of a millimetre, not nearly enough for my ears to hear, but nonetheless over 100s of hours, enough to affect wear of both stylus and record. As for a blank record, I also agree with @cafe latte , but I don't think it wrong using one as a starting point to see which way the arm tends, and in what direction. My personal belief is that antiskate is more important as the effective mass rises, as regardless of what movement, vertical or horizontal, the load is greater, the friction is greater, and all of the effects are greater.

As for the question posed by the OP, the reasons for your arm moving could be one of many, and possibly not related to antiskate. Antiskate has to be sorted out in the groove first, then your other issue can be sorted. However, there are some simple checks you can make. First, make sure that you turntable is level, this MUST be done before any other checks or adjustments, otherwise you well be chasing your tail in all the wrong directions. Next, check that the top surface of the cueing lifter is parallel to the platter. This will ensure there is no slope for the arm to run along. If this is good, check that it remains parallel in operation, with the arm off the lifter, and on the lifter at various different positions along the lifter. If a sliding arm makes this difficult, tape a small piece of cloth to the arm at the contact point for the purpose of observation only, remove it later. If all seems good, as previously mentioned, a little roughing of the lifter surface may be necessary. 

Good luck.