Harbeth Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi guys....

I'm using a intergrated tube amp(35W PushPull),

Is it good enough power for Super5?

Thx&Rgds

more than enough :D you have to see what outputs your amp has, harbeth speakers are typically 6 ohm impedances, on most of my amps, they have only 4 or 8 ohm outputs, some people plug it to 8 ohm, some plug it to 4. for me i prefer the sound when i plug it to 4 ohm output on my tube amp, and it stresses the tube amp less as well as i use low powered single ended triodes... typically 300b/211 types..

alan shaw himself have said that harbeth speakers are easy loads on amplifiers, and are quite optimal for listening at about 85 decibels. with that volume.. you probably wont need much power

Has been a week since I got the P3esr replacing the Proac tablette 50sig. I also have the LS3/5a which I listen to occasionally when I need the mid range.

For people who require the dynamics and attack in their music from brands like ProAc, you need to carefully audition the Harbeth and see if this presentation suits your musical taste. I have friends who prefer the Harbeth and some the ProAc. A lot to me rely primarily on your musical preference followed by the source equipment.

Personally, I have owned the Proac tablette 50 for nearly 15years and the differences of both speakers are very obvious. For me, the harbeth is easier listening but it gives away some attack and presence the Proac can give. There is no right or wrong and it really voice down to your taste. In my case, the Proac can give listening fatigue if care is not taken to match with a proper source.

Hi guys & thx alot for e replies!

My tube amp hv 4&8ohm output.

(EL34B x4,12AT7 x2 & 1 12AU7)

I've 2 option...Proac tablette Anniversary(latest model)

& Super5.

Will drop by Adelphi for a listen.

Thx alot guys...Cheers!

Has been a week since I got the P3esr replacing the Proac tablette 50sig. I also have the LS3/5a which I listen to occasionally when I need the mid range.

For people who require the dynamics and attack in their music from brands like ProAc, you need to carefully audition the Harbeth and see if this presentation suits your musical taste. I have friends who prefer the Harbeth and some the ProAc. A lot to me rely primarily on your musical preference followed by the source equipment.

Personally, I have owned the Proac tablette 50 for nearly 15years and the differences of both speakers are very obvious. For me, the harbeth is easier listening but it gives away some attack and presence the Proac can give. There is no right or wrong and it really voice down to your taste. In my case, the Proac can give listening fatigue if care is not taken to match with a proper source.

I stumbled upon your thread on the Harbeth forum. The presentation of Harbeth and Proac is very different. FWIW I have the privilege to own the same speakers you owned for 15 years, the Proac Tablette 50 Signatures for several months. The difference between the Proac Tablette 50 Sigs and Harbeth P3ESR is day and night, or should I say heaven and earth. The Proac has superior speed, imaging and attack with an overall leaner presentation that borders brightness, depending on what amplifier is used to drive the speakers. Generally the Tablette 50 Signatures will still sound lean when used with most solid-state amps, whereas the P3ESR will sound a lot more organic and easier to listen due to the "softer" highs. With piano recordings, if switching from Proac to Harbeth, piano will sound a bit dull and rolled-off with the Harbeth. It is difficult to determine which speaker is more accurate in reproducing the tone of the piano as all recordings are recorded different. Some piano recordings sound bright, some sound darker etc. Personally I prefer piano on the Proacs but the overall leaness of the speaker which contributes to the lack of warmth and body led me to consider the Harbeth.

One thing I concur is speaker selection boils down to listening taste and preference, as always. I may go back to another Proac for a different kind of sound, not the Tablette 50 Signatures though which are too lean for my taste. Have you listened to the D1 or D2, and if yes how do you compare these bookshelves with the Tablette 50 Signatures?

I stumbled upon your thread on the Harbeth forum. The presentation of Harbeth and Proac is very different. FWIW I have the privilege to own the same speakers you owned for 15 years, the Proac Tablette 50 Signatures for several months. The difference between the Proac Tablette 50 Sigs and Harbeth P3ESR is day and night, or should I say heaven and earth. The Proac has superior speed, imaging and attack with an overall leaner presentation that borders brightness, depending on what amplifier is used to drive the speakers. Generally the Tablette 50 Signatures will still sound lean when used with most solid-state amps, whereas the P3ESR will sound a lot more organic and easier to listen due to the "softer" highs. With piano recordings, if switching from Proac to Harbeth, piano will sound a bit dull and rolled-off with the Harbeth. It is difficult to determine which speaker is more accurate in reproducing the tone of the piano as all recordings are recorded different. Some piano recordings sound bright, some sound darker etc. Personally I prefer piano on the Proacs but the overall leaness of the speaker which contributes to the lack of warmth and body led me to consider the Harbeth.

One thing I concur is speaker selection boils down to listening taste and preference, as always. I may go back to another Proac for a different kind of sound, not the Tablette 50 Signatures though which are too lean for my taste. Have you listened to the D1 or D2, and if yes how do you compare these bookshelves with the Tablette 50 Signatures?

I am planning to check out the D1 in the near future. Not inclined towards the tablettes as they tend to be leaner than the Response series which has a fuller sound based on what I have heard previously and feedbacks from people I know. I may be generalising as I have not listened to the current generation proacs in recent years.

There is something magical with the oragnic sound of the harbeth that I enjoy. This comes from the thin wall design which calls for the cabinet to contribute to the bass reproduction of the music. Really enjoy these aspects when the music is right but some may argue that such aspect of bass reproduction may not actually be technically accurate if you are listening to say acoustic music.

There is something magical with the organic sound of the harbeth that I enjoy. This comes from the thin wall design which calls for the cabinet to contribute to the bass reproduction of the music. Really enjoy these aspects when the music is right but some may argue that such aspect of bass reproduction may not actually be technically accurate if you are listening to say acoustic music.

Yes, the thin-walled cabinet design of Harbeth speakers contributes to the sound of the speakers especially the bass since the panels resonate along with the music. However, my impression is the Harbeth excels in acoustic music. They only fall short in rock and fast-paced music when compared to dynamic speakers. Nonetheless, the P3ESR being a diminutive speaker has its limits and should do good with simple music and vocals in a domestic environment or small space.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never heard the 3 but when auditioning the 7, switching from a small Rega Amp (which sounded pretty good) to a Primare with 100w made quite a drastic improvement in terms of effortless dynamics and micro dynamics.

Maybe it's the amp's inherent SQ that made the difference, but I'm sure some power reserve doesn't hurt.

If I am not wrong shl5 is still on the old radial whereas c7 is using the newer and more superior radial2. That could explain why c7 sounded "faster". I have listened to older versions of c7 and compared to shl5. They sounded pretty much alike other than the slight extension at the top and bottom on shl5.

I prefer the 7 too; sounds more nimble, but I think besides personal taste, it all depends on our preference in music genre too.

I've never heard the 3 but when auditioning the 7, switching from a small Rega Amp (which sounded pretty good) to a Primare with 100w made quite a drastic improvement in terms of effortless dynamics and micro dynamics.

Maybe it's the amp's inherent SQ that made the difference, but I'm sure some power reserve doesn't hurt.

I recently got a chance to listen to the 7ES3 again after living with the P3ESR for nearly a month. The close resemblemces between the sonic character of both speaker are scary.  I attribute this similarity to the Radia2 driver that was used in both speakers.

In comarison, the SHL5 sounded less energetic.

I recently got a chance to listen to the 7ES3 again after living with the P3ESR for nearly a month. The close resemblemces between the sonic character of both speaker are scary.  I attribute this similarity to the Radia2 driver that was used in both speakers.

In comarison, the SHL5 sounded less energetic.

Do you reckon the P3ESR possess the same energetic presentation as C7ES3? I am not quite sure what you mean the SHL5 is less energetic since it has bigger box. I have once heard the SHL5 and its scale of presenting music in front is quite amazing. Maybe it is a tad slower that make you think otherwise.

I agreed that the radial-2 driver cone is one of the magic secret recipe behind the Harbeth's great sound. I am using naim electronics to my C7s and to my ears, they are as fast as the ProAc loudspeakers but with more weights and scale. 

Anyway, I listen with the grilles off.

Do you reckon the P3ESR possess the same energetic presentation as C7ES3? I am not quite sure what you mean the SHL5 is less energetic since it has bigger box. I have once heard the SHL5 and its scale of presenting music in front is quite amazing. Maybe it is a tad slower that make you think otherwise.

I agreed that the radial-2 driver cone is one of the magic secret recipe behind the Harbeth's great sound. I am using naim electronics to my C7s and to my ears, they are as fast as the ProAc loudspeakers but with more weights and scale. 

Anyway, I listen with the grilles off.

Yes. In my view, the P3ESR sounds as "lively" as the C7ES3. Yes, the Super5 do have better scale and better composure in the presentation as expected from a bigger box but it does not sound as lively as the C7ES3 or P3ESR IMO.

Guest mikapoh

If you talked about "lively sound", usually smaller speakers will give more air to the high due to smaller cabinets.

• 1 month later...

Wah this thread has been inactive for more than half a year liao ! So all u Harbeth nuts are too busy listening to music or have u all given up and moved on to something else?  ;D

Definitely listening to music more than ever b4 bro. Music is prime. Everything else has faded deep into the background. And what better way to enjoy great & pure music than thru a pair of Harbeths.   

I have moved on. I mean for music, from vocals and jazz to more of rock and metal. Still thru the Harbeths tho.  Anyone who says tat Harbeths cannot rock I ll like to squeeze his balls. Btw I am listening to music right now as I type ;D

I have moved on. I mean for music, from vocals and jazz to more of rock and metal. Still thru the Harbeths tho.  Anyone who says tat Harbeths cannot rock I ll like to squeeze his balls. Btw I am listening to music right now as I type ;D

If heavy metal is your staple, listen to ATC, Living Voice and Kudos, they do much better. 

Harbeth is still a tad polite for heavy metal.  If you're not "yim chim" they can still do it.

I

If heavy metal is your staple, listen to ATC, Living Voice and Kudos, they do much better. 

Harbeth is still a tad polite for heavy metal.  If you're not "yim chim" they can still do it.

I had the SCM 20 some years back but unfortunately at tat time I did not have the amp or source to make them rock. A bro here recommended the JBL4410 to me but my room was too small for their 10 inch drivers. They do rock harder BUT honestly speaking,  the Harbeths weren't too far behind, in fact,  quite close. I bet even Alan Shaw himself wouldn't believe his spks can rock like they do in my room.                           

I

I had the SCM 20 some years back but unfortunately at tat time I did not have the amp or source to make them rock. A bro here recommended the JBL4410 to me but my room was too small for their 10 inch drivers. They do rock harder BUT honestly speaking,  the Harbeths weren't too far behind, in fact,  quite close. I bet even Alan Shaw himself wouldn't believe his spks can rock like they do in my room.                           

It's all relative bro. ATC driven well will just smoke a Harbeth, regardless of the front end when it comes to rockability. And no, I am not saying Harbeth cannot rock. Still wanna keep my balls. ;)