Another %#&@ing “recommend me an amp” thread

7 minutes ago, Jventer said:

@RankStranger

Amphion was up to recently distributed by Magenta Audio https://magentaaudio.com.au/product-category/brands/ps-audio/

As far as I know they partnered it with the PS Audio Stellar Amps. 

Why don't you contact them and ask them what they recommend for your speakers? 

Thanks! I’ll do that ? 

2 hours ago, RankStranger said:

I’m completely open to having a listen to a few to see if they’re my jam. Do you have any specific ones to suggest? I’m aware of (I think) the Cyrus one and a couple of the NAD models.

I do want to stick with integrated amps

Nuprime.

• Thanks 1

On 17/06/2020 at 11:03 AM, 08Boss302 said:

These are ripping value at the moment - might suit?

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/vincent/vincent-sv-200-hybrid-integrated-amplifier-black-sv200b.html

I have one of these, am very pleased with it, does everyrhing and for late night when children/wife is asleep there is a loudness button which i find useful.

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/vincent/vincent-sv-237mk-integrated-amplifier.html

*i should add I have no affiliation with the seller only that I have purchased there in the past and they've been great to deal with.

Either of these could be good choices. Most Vincent equipment I'm familiar with is just outstanding for the $$$.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone still playing along at home, I took my speakers out today to have a listen to a few different things. Pretty much accepted now that I’m going to have to spend over $2k to get what I want. Such is life

Vincent SV237MK - I didn’t like it. The top end was quite lovely but not spectacular and the lower mids were a bit veiled and I didn’t like the look. At least I tried

NAD C388 - Fantastic clear midrange and tight, solid bass but the top end was glarey and cymbals sounded artificial. I was reminded after I listened that it was class D (Hypex, I think) so maybe that’s not my groove. I won’t write off the whole technology but not a good start. May have just been a bad match with the speakers

Creek 100A - very well balanced throughout the range but a bit sweet-sounding for my personal taste. I think I’m after a bit more air

Musical Fidelity M3si - I quite liked this. More air than the Creek, probably could use  a bit more refinement which, I suspect, would be present further up the range. Bear in mind, this is primarily in comparison to...

Rega Elicit R - Ho boy. I rather liked this one. At minimum $800 more than anything else I listened to, I would hope it would be best (by no means a given in this wacky world) but it was obviously more open and balanced than anything else I listened to and seemed to be a really good match for my speakers (open and revealing but not hard). This would probably have to be a 2nd hand pick up, unless I can find one on super special or I hold off for longer on upgrading my source. Maybe a lot longer

So, at the moment the Elicit is the one to beat. I’m planning to also listen to the Naim Nait 5si (out of stock) and the Roksan Kandy 3 (out of stock). I’d love to consider a Schiit Ragnarok 2 (the original has no remote capability) but I doubt I’m going to get one 2nd hand, being only released last year or something.

Talk me out of importing one myself. Even with the gross exchange rate it should land $1000 less than the local RRP. ‘Course I haven’t heard it yet. I’m going to try, though. EDIT just checked and shipping is wild - between $300-$400 USD so that kind of sinks that idea

Also I spoke with Geoff at Hey Now and he was helpful and super friendly but I think all he as to offer in my prince range is the Creek. If you have real money to spend, go spend it with him. He’s good people :) 

Edited by RankStranger
  • Love 1

it should land $1000 less

You'll need that lazy grand. After storage fees, processing fees, handling fees, GST and other charges you'll find most of it will disappear. At least, that was my experience a decade back when importing a Cary preamp and I don't think the Australian government has got any less inefficient in the cost of doing business - its transaction charges and taxes etc - in the meantime. Do your research.

1 minute ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

You'll need that lazy grand. After storage fees, processing fees, handling fees, GST and other charges you'll find most of it will disappear. At least, that was my experience a decade back when importing a Cary preamp and I don't think the Australian government has got any less inefficient in the cost of doing business - its transaction charges and taxes etc - in the meantime. Do your research.

Yeah, I double-checked and even with shipping that grand is halved. Not even close to worth it. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ruffter said:

@RankStranger if your local store stocks Rega Then what about the Elex-R? Should be right on budget, I know the brio sounds good and the Elex is meant to be somewhere between The Brio and Elicit.

cheers,

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. The Elex-r is out of stock so there wasn’t one to listen to. There’s actually very little Rega stock coming out of the factory In the UK due to a 6-week Covid shut-down. Australia is due to get around a 12th of our normal shipment, according to one dealer I spoke with (if I’m remembering correctly). I’ll be going back to that store to hear the Nait so if there’s one in stock then I’ll give it a go. I’m going to have trouble dropping down from the elicit, though, now that I’ve heard it. 

By the way. The Ragnarok 2 is out. Spoke with Addicted to Audio and their listening rooms are closed because of lockdown which is fair enough, I guess. "What if I buy one and it doesn’t suit?" I asked, "How long do I have to return it?" Nope. Can’t do that. "We can’t sell it new so we’ll lose money." So if you want a 3.5k amp now you just have to buy it blind and hope you love it, because if you don’t, you’re stuffed. Seems a bit inflexible to me but, hey, I’m not in an industry that was already in trouble, in an economy that was already in trouble, at the beginning of possibly the worst economic disaster in history so, what would I know?

end rant. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve heard that Nad it and found it unlistenable for the reasons you heard. Similarly the Class D  primares I found also to be glarey and hard. They put me off class d - I thought for life.  
But they’re not all alike. I’ve recently had a class d power amp in my system which had a wonderfully sweet top end and TBH gave my Elektra Reference a run for its money. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Rhythm Willie said:

How about trying a Marantz PM6006 or above? I have one in a second system and as per all the reviews it sounds nice and does everything I need.

Thanks, Willie. If an opportunity presents itself, I’ll have a listen. I like the marantz and Denon stuff (I used to have a very nice Denon CD player. The DCD1500?) but only up to a point. Their amps, when I was selling them, were solid performers that never really excited me and they look a bit busy for my taste. Not ruling them out but not chasing them specifically

23 minutes ago, buddyev said:

I’ve heard that Nad it and found it unlistenable for the reasons you heard. Similarly the Class D  primares I found also to be glarey and hard. They put me off class d - I thought for life.  
But they’re not all alike. I’ve recently had a class d power amp in my system which had a wonderfully sweet top end and TBH gave my Elektra Reference a run for its money. 

Yeah I wasn’t sure about the primare but that tracks with what I’ve read. I’m sure there is a class d amp out there that I would love the sound of but they don’t appear to suit me, logistically at this point. Separate pre and power won’t work for where I’m putting it and there are, of course, other family members to keep happy ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

5 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

@RankStranger This looks alright. You would have to research it but it aint got no Balanced in.

Thanks. I did see that but it’s pickup only in Sydney and I’m locked down in Melbs. I don’t think I’ve ever heard an onkyo stereo amp. I think Rio sell them but I haven’t done much research. I don’t think it’s what I’m looking for though. 

there’s a Nait 5si in the classifieds that caught my eye but I haven’t had a chance to listen to one yet so I’m reluctant to go in blind (deaf?) on such a big (for me) purchase

26 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

there’s a Nait 5si in the classifieds that caught my eye but I haven’t had a chance to listen to one yet so I’m reluctant to go in blind (deaf?) on such a big (for me) purchase

If you haven't been drinking the Naim KoolAid, Simon ... then a reluctance to go in blind ... is a good thang!  :lol:

Andy

Edited by andyr

16 minutes ago, andyr said:

If you haven't been drinking the Naim KoolAid, Simon ... then a reluctance to go in blind ... is a good thang!  :lol:

Andy

I had a unitiqute a few years ago and I loved it. I replaced a 200wpc American muscle amp with 40 British watts and never looked back. I’m a different me now though and while I am open to another Naim (if anyone has a supernait they’re throwing out) I want to do more listening first. 

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

I had a unitiqute a few years ago and I loved it. I replaced a 200wpc American muscle amp with 40 British watts and never looked back. I’m a different me now though and while I am open to another Naim (if anyone has a supernait they’re throwing out) I want to do more listening first. 

Aah, I was a Linn/Naim tragic, 25 years ago - and ran my Maggies 3-way active with:

• 2x 250s, plus
  • 1x 160.

The amps were getting near re-cap time - which would've been more than I could afford.  :(  So for a number of years, I looked around for other amps I could use.  Eventually - amazingly - I found Hugh Dean, in Rosanna of all places  ... who had designed some amp kits.  So I took one of my 250s over to his place and compared it against his 'AKSA 55'.

This blew my Naim 250 right out of the ring - so I bought 3 stereo kits, built them ... and then got rid of my Naims for the money I paid for the kits!  :)

I've subsequently upgraded to later versions of his amp designs and am a very happy chappie.  But, unfortunately, he doesn't make integrated amps.  :(

Andy

4 minutes ago, andyr said:

Aah, I was a Linn/Naim tragic, 25 years ago - and ran my Maggies 3-way active with:

• 2x 250s, plus
  • 1x 160.

The amps were getting near re-cap time - which would've been more than I could afford.  :(  So for a number of years, I looked around for other amps I could use.  Eventually - amazingly - I found Hugh Dean, in Rosanna of all places  ... who had designed some amp kits.  So I took one of my 250s over to his place and compared it against his 'AKSA 55'.

This blew my Naim 250 right out of the ring - so I bought 3 stereo kits, built them ... and then got rid of my Naims for the money I paid for the kits!  :)

I've subsequently upgraded to later versions of his amp designs and am a very happy chappie.  But, unfortunately, he doesn't make integrated amps.  :(

Andy

If I used my good arm and had a stiff westerly wind, I could hit Rosanna with a rock from my place :) 

I hear ya. There sure are some truly desirable power amps out there. Hugh’s ones look great and I’ve heard one of Mark Houston’s Holton builds and that sounded incredible and I quite enjoyed the March Audio hypex(?) ones I heard at the show last year. I’ll definitely put them all on the list for when I have a more flexible space and/or more room/autonomy but for now it’s integrated or integrated. 

• Like 1

may be a bit old , but what about an original Leema Pulse, Cafad did a review in his integrated amps guide, i sent him my Lemma Pulse III which has a DAC, the original didn't, Cafad reviewed mine against the original and he prefered the original?

2 minutes ago, wen said:

may be a bit old , but what about an original Leema Pulse, Cafad did a review in his integrated amps guide, i sent him my Lemma Pulse III which has a DAC, the original didn't, Cafad reviewed mine against the original and he prefered the original?

Thanks. It’s getting a bit old, I think. I think I can stick to <5yrs with my budget and still get something good