Wharfdale Evo 4.2 or Linton

Bill125812

Item:  Wharfdale Evo 4.2 or Linton 
Price Range: Market 
Item Condition: New or used
Extra Info: I have a pair of Wharfdale 4.1’s and am looking to go up the range. 

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Ty. Yes I’ve read a lot of reviews on the Evo’ s and Lintons.  And being a Evo 4.1 owner, I’m am impressed with Wharfdale rebirth as such 

Just now, Bill125812 said:

Ty. Yes I’ve read a lot of reviews on the Evo’ s and Lintons.  And being a Evo 4.1 owner, I’m am impressed with Wharfdale rebirth as such 

Hi Bill.

I have not heard the Evo's but I did have two auditions  on the Lintons and I just couldn't even raise a scintilla of interest. I thought they were muffled, vague and lazy, but I do understand that I am in a small minority here.

I so much wanted to like them, hence the second occasion for an audition, but to me and IMO, they are just a retro marketing exercise which heavily favours form over function.

I know that there are many happy Linton owners here and I am not seeking to demean or lessen their opinions but I found them ( the Lintons) to be the biggest disappointment of the last few years, especially given the reviews.

To the many who may disagree, I wish you well and many years of great listening pleasure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rantan said:

Hi Bill.

I have not heard the Evo's but I did have two auditions  on the Lintons and I just couldn't even raise a scintilla of interest. I thought they were muffled, vague and lazy, but I do understand that I am in a small minority here.

I so much wanted to like them, hence the second occasion for an audition, but to me and IMO, they are just a retro marketing exercise which heavily favours form over function.

I know that there are many happy Linton owners here and I am not seeking to demean or lessen their opinions but I found them ( the Lintons) to be the biggest disappointment of the last few years, especially given the reviews.

To the many who may disagree, I wish you well and many years of great listening pleasure.

Interesting Lindsay 

I have heard the Lintons once, and with a pretty ordinary amp driving them.  They didn’t sound bad at all.  And I would have thought with a good amp, they would be even better.  And as for the Evo range.  So far I’ve been impressed with my 4.1’s So the 4.2’s are a curiosity for me.  

But everyone has their own likes and dislikes with speakers.  Otherwise we would all be buying just one brand of speaker lol. And where’s the fun with in that ??

9 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

@Bill125812

Auditioned the Evo 4.1 and the Lintons today.   I have to say the Lintons are a step forward for $3k Even the B&W 705 was all wrong in that room.   The Lintons has that realism, while the Evo 4.1 and 705 tries to impressed

D2D6D029-C53A-4D8C-BF05-76A400ED409D.jpeg

Agreed.   I have the Lintons on backorder now.  Should be in the room in a couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

I reckon you’ll enjoy them like I did..  

At the moment in the room. Have Spendor D9’s. Evo 4.1’s. Monitor audio silver 100.   Just sold the Spendors so just playing with standmounts.  Hope the Lintons will be good. 

I am starting to think that the pair of Lintons I heard must have been faulty in some way.

I have never known something which was/is so universally praised and enjoyed that just didn't happen in my case. Obviously opinions on speakers will always differ but my experience is too rare for it to be valid so I think I will try to audition another pair somehow.

I don't mind being a contrarian sometimes but I cannot dismiss the universal praise these have received.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunno77 said:

They sounded great with Luxman and Linn at Brisbane Hifi. So much so my mate bought a pair

Enjoy Bill

Well I’ll let you know in a couple of weeks.   Hope they pair well with my Naim unity Star ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bill125812 said:

Well I’ll let you know in a couple of weeks.   Hope they pair well with my Naim unity Star ?

I think it will be a great match Bill.

The Lintons look like an easy load and I think the tonal balance between the energy and presence of the Naim will compliment the easy and laid back nature of the Lintons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rantan said:

I definitely wouldn't want to wear them but I would be quite happy to hear them:lol:

In the room which was around 4x3m the 705 was totally wrong, so was the EVO 4.1...   Not sure why but it looks like manufacturers are trying to over emphasis bottom end in tiny boxes and in doing so totally wrong,  when we played Linda Ronstandt tracks she was all wrong,  she sounded like she had male hormones......  And yes it was driven a Naim integrated streamer...  I was more impressed with the EVO 4.1 than the 705 and the 705 was 3x the price.....

I can see what you said about the Lintons, @ $3k  these are laid back and release the music with ease,  there’s heaps more natural details where the 705 just got it all wrong......   Now this is coming from someone who’s just turned 56... My hearing is not the best,  the rep also asked whether I was spoiled with the 705. In all honestly I replied: no.....

I also asked him to put on the Lintons because he had it there already out of curiosity, I’m glad I asked to have them on!   It changes the perspective.   Linda Ronstadt sounds like Linda Ronstadt,   Also the Lintons comes standard with stands, bonus!   

• Like 3