Sign in to follow this  

Posted (edited)

Hello friends,

I just spontaneously purchased some Bowers and Wilkins DM2000 last week. Honestly, I saw a photo of them on ebay and something just clicked, not at all my usual shopping style. But this is what I imagine when I hear the word "speakers".

So, now of course I am worried that my reciever is going to leave me wondering about needing more power.

While I await delivery, I'm hoping someone can comment on my Yamaha RX-V1800 ability to push them, and/or suggest something more appropriate, at a price that doesn't trigger my wife's attention.

Is the v1800's 140W a true and fair representation of its power?

Currently, I have Wharfdale 9.5 towers, and enjoy listening to them as loud as I can, relative to any particular situation, but haven't really gone full throttle on them. They tend to lose clarity as I approach -0db.

The few references I find to my b&W online, or to similar b&W spkr of that era, seem be unanimous in that they will eat as much power as you can give them, and crave more. Indeed, the b&W spec sheet gives a minimum Wattage, rather than the usual indicators.

What have I got myself into? Further down the rabbit hole? Or is this going to work out just fine?

Screenshot_20200615-171523.jpg

Edited by mugwampjism

Posted (edited)

I don't know the amp you are refering too in terms of quality, but 140 wpc is decent grunt.  Why not just try it with your new speakers. You might be pleasantly supprised. If not...new amp it is then.

The B&Ws are a step up on the Warfies, so just enjoy the conundrum. I will leave it to others to advise what amps suit B&Ws.

Edited by needlerunner
To be included in the conversation

Well thank you for the response, yes, I will just have to wait. Both the reciever and the speakers have  protection circuitry so I am confident I can turn it up without hurting anything.

I also thought I could add a response of my own, once I typed it out I had a bit more clarity.

Stepping up to 8ohm resistance from 6 will help, so that's a good start.

And a power amp is the only way to take the load off the reciever and give the speakers a chance at full pelt, for my budget and needs. Also the Yamaha tends to run quite hot for an A/B so power amp might be a good idea anyway. Used market will provide me with something appropriate, I'm sure

Truth is, room treatment is probably the smartest move from here, if I am intent on listening to loud complex music, along with a larger power envelope to preserve my reciever and keep the speakers fed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Yobots
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Bulimba State: Queensland Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Upgrading and wife doesnt like colour Further information:
      B&W LCR60 S3 Center channel, magnetically shielded speaker to avoid causing interference on other AV equipment.  Good condition except for dented tweeter courtesy of my 2 year old... Ihadnt noticed the damage from a sound perspective untill I moved house and packed the speaker up. Still has original packaging.

Make an offer
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Yobots
      Item Condition: good condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Bulimba State: Queensland Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Upgrading and wife doesnt like colour Further information:
      B&W 601 S2 with original packaging.  In good condition except for a small "graze" on the top edge of the mesh cover on one speaker (see photo) Smoke free home only and have served as my rear surround sound speakers for many years.  Will throw in proper heavy duty wall mounts as well.  The jumpers are in place for the terminals but one terminal is damaged so you cant bi-wire them unfortunately. (see photo)  But the jumper ensures good connection.

Make an offer
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By Yobots
      Item Condition: Very good condition Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Bulimba State: Queensland Payment Method: EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Upgrading and wife doesnt like colour Further information:
      Like new condition with original packaging.  Purchased from new and only been in a non-smoking house.  These speakers sound great, have been driving them with a Elektra Theatron power amp and they absolutely come to life.  Selling bacause my wife wants white ones...

There are no blemishes on the units.  The tweeters are in perfect nick as well. Comes with orignal vent dampers as well. Has all the hardware, spikes for carpet and rubber domes for hard floors.  Plinths also included.

Make an offer.

Photos:

PLEASE READ

• By Christopher L. Handlebars
      I'm having some trouble with my Yamaha DSP A1 amplifier. It sounds like the right channel is giving a weak or sub-par performance. It's relatively subtle, but seeing as my wife agrees with me it must be true.

It sounds as if one of the two mid-range speakers might not be operating, like that side is lacking something. 

Also, occasionally after turning the system on there will be zero sound coming from the right. After turning off and on this usually resolves itself.

However, I've recently started using the amp's headphone socket, and have noticed that if I plug and unplug from the headphone socket a few times this can lead to the sound returning to the right channel.

This leads me to believe there is something amiss to do with this part of the amp.

However, even after regaining sound from the right speaker it sounds slightly weaker, lacking in clarity, as if one of the right tower's speakers is not working.

I am an utter novice, so please forgive me.

I've switched cables and attached speakers to the opposite outputs. When attached to opposite outputs the issue follows to the left channel.

Any help would be much appreciated, and if there's anywhere else I should ask this question please let me know.
    • By leon0001
      Item Condition: As New Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Ashfield State: New South Wales Payment Method: Cash on Pickup, Bank Transfer Reason for selling: Upgrade Further information: Only Purcahsed in July, NLR due to upgrade, comes in original package withh all accessories (Remote is brand new still !) Unmarked condition. Local pick-up prefered. 
      The WXA-50 is a flexible 2.1 channel amplifier capable of effortlessly powering any pair of speakers. Its convenient design makes it perfect to pair with in-ceiling or outdoor speakers where long speaker cable runs are not possible.
      Simply by adding to your speaker system, enjoy streaming music or a full MusicCast (multi-room audio) system 2.1-Channel powerful sound --- 90 W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1-ch driven) --- 70 W per channel (6 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06 % THD, 2-ch driven) Compatible with all types of music sources and services, such as streaming services MusicCast App for easy operation. The app lets you control other MusicCast-compatible components One push play — Pressing any button turns the unit on and initiates playback of the previously selected source Retro modern and superior quality 48-bit digital volume control is far greater than the input signal bit resolution, achieving high quality control Supports DSD 5.6 MHz and FLAC / WAV / AIFF 192 kHz / 24-bit for high resolution reproduction Compact body only 214 mm (8-3/8") wide fits in any convenient location, can be used horizontally or vertically. Easy installation - Suitable size for 1U rack with a width of 214 mm (8-3/8") and height of 42 mm (1-5/8") (without feet). Low standby power consumption: 1.8 W  

Photos:

PLEASE READ