Searching for Suitable Denon Tuner

Hello all!

I'm on the hunt for a stereo AM/FM tuner to add to my elderly father's Denon system. His receiver recently gave up the ghost

and he is now sporting a PMA-720ae amplifier and a DCD-520ae CD player. He is barely past steam power when it comes to

adopting modern technology and loves his ABC classical FM so I'm looking to add a fairly simple tuner that ideally fits with the

style of his Amp/CD player (Network players etc would be wasted) My question is what Denon model tuner would be best suited?

My googling efforts bring up a bewildering array of units. Any advice would be much appreciated. (Also if anyone is selling a suitable

unit by all means get in touch).

Thanks in advance,

Yuri.

Hi Yuri,  welcome to SNA.

Any AM/FM tuner will work with that amplifier, you dont need a Denon brand unless your father is wanting something that exactly matches the styling of his amp. 

There are many secondhand options available for cheap.  There are old analogue models with a tuning dial, and newer digital ones that come with remote controls.  They come in black or silver styling so you will be able to get something that looks compatible with the Denon amp.

12 hours ago, Yuri P said:

Hello all!

I'm on the hunt for a stereo AM/FM tuner to add to my elderly father's Denon system. His receiver recently gave up the ghost

and he is now sporting a PMA-720ae amplifier and a DCD-520ae CD player. He is barely past steam power when it comes to

adopting modern technology and loves his ABC classical FM so I'm looking to add a fairly simple tuner that ideally fits with the

style of his Amp/CD player (Network players etc would be wasted) My question is what Denon model tuner would be best suited?

My googling efforts bring up a bewildering array of units. Any advice would be much appreciated. (Also if anyone is selling a suitable

unit by all means get in touch).

Thanks in advance,

Yuri.

Agree with FR DRew, the TU 260 is a great performer for the price you can pick them up for these days.

The TU-1500 is another one to look for.

My TU-767 is not for sale, but is a bit of a complex beast anyway!

Also agree with audiofeline.  Yamaha, Pioneer, Rotel & Sony are other brands that have consistently provided great value in Tuners, and would not look too out of place with the Denon amp if you get one in the same colour.  NAD is another good tuner brand, but the styling is quite different.  

There are also good offerings from Marantz, Sansui, Onkyo, Hitachi & Kenwood, but in my experience not as consistent as the brands mentioned above.  Depends a lot on the period in which they were made. You just need to do your homework a bit more diligently on those.

I have a black Marantz ST-64 available that was one of their better ones.  You can send me a PM for some pics if you're interested.

• Like 1

as the above posts have mentioned either the denon tu-260 or the tu1500 are fabulous sounding tuners for very little money on the second hand market,the tu260 is very user friendly,the tu 1500 also has remote control,they do come up fairly often,keep an eye out on the usual selling sites.

Keep a look out for a TU235 as well, same innards as the TU260 mk2. Also, the 235 and 260 work with the Denon remote as well, you just don’t get them with the tuner. Maybe your dad’s Denon remote will operate the tuner as well.

Thanks heaps everybody for your replies and input! In my late night/early morning  gumtree hunting I came

across a black TU-1500AE up in NSW, The seller kindly agreed to box it up and ship it and it will be heading to

its new home tomorrow.

Everybody's advice has been much appreciated.

Regards,

Yuri.

• Like 2

that's good news yuri,having owned a denon TU-1500AU your dad will love it a lovely sounding tuner,and once set up with the remote he can change stations with ease from wherever he likes to listen,good on you for looking after your dad.

• 1 month later...

FWIW I've had a Denon TU1500RD, and TU255  and both were excellent. A long time ago I had a TU600 which IMHO had the best sound quality of the three but a weak RF front end and needed a good strong signal work at its best.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/denon-tu-600-176.html 

More Denon tuner reviews here: https://fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsD-G.html 

Denon_TU255.pdf Denon-TU-1500RD-brochure.pdf

Edited by mashley2