Salt Cellar Initiative

mwhouston

7 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Thanks mate.  How did you listen to it.

Computer via VLC into Topping DAC USB connection into Cambridge amp/ Stax headphones out.  Do you think horn tweeters tend to roll with sibilance s's better than dome or ribbon tweeters? 

I'd love to hear something like a Boccherini Guitar quintet through those speakers to hear the interplay and space. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, allthumbs said:

Computer via VLC into Topping DAC USB connection into Cambridge amp/ Stax headphones out.  Do you think horn tweeters tend to roll with sibilance s's better than dome or ribbon tweeters? 

I'd love to hear something like a Boccherini Guitar quintet through those speakers to hear the interplay and space. 

My horns are mid range - 1100hz and up. 

Send me the name of one track of the music You would like to hear and I’ll see if I can send you a replay of it. Link will help also. 

Lack of upper bass/lower mid.

I originally had two Horns up on stands with the Beymas. Sounded good but maybe too much mid. I took out one horn and put it on the map Beyma still on a short stand. Sounded better bit could watch movies over the speakers so dropped the Beyma to the floor with horn on top. 

Over two days of hard core listening I realised the upper bass/lower mids were almost gone. It took two days to realise. I’ve put the Beyma on a short stand with horn on top angled down. Lower mids are back now sounding like it first did. Great!

With the Xover at 1100hz the Beymas need to be up so you can hear their input into the lower mids when on the floor that sound was being lost by not being near ear height and the carpet sucking some up. Today another four hour hard core listening session with a better balance between bass and mid/treble. 

image to follow.

6DDAA606-870E-4226-8089-D3A62D936D85.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston

• 2 weeks later...

Performed a CRO test on SC 807.

max power 1.6W into 8.2ohms

-3db points 54hZ  to 35KhZ

gain 23db. 
Vin for max power 247mV

The peak power is the same as SC II but this amp sounds a lot more powerful.  Not sure why. On this amp my meter on the 200mV AC RMS range could not detect any noise with volume on zero. Both this amp and SC II are dead quiet.

Watch another Netflix movie with the mono SC amp in place. Great experience  and you would never know you only had 1.6W. 

Edited by mwhouston

• 5 weeks later...
On 01/08/2020 at 11:23 AM, mwhouston said:

Performed a CRO test on SC 807.

max power 1.6W into 8.2ohms

-3db points 54hZ  to 35KhZ

gain 23db. 
Vin for max power 247mV

The peak power is the same as SC II but this amp sounds a lot more powerful.  Not sure why. On this amp my meter on the 200mV AC RMS range could not detect any noise with volume on zero. Both this amp and SC II are dead quiet.

Watch another Netflix movie with the mono SC amp in place. Great experience  and you would never know you only had 1.6W. 

By adding a Ck to the 6SN7 driver tube the f3 point dropped to 35hZ. Much better. 

• 8 months later...
On 31/08/2020 at 12:41 PM, mwhouston said:

By adding a Ck to the 6SN7 driver tube the f3 point dropped to 35hZ. Much better. 

This has been a very interesting thread, thanks for documenting the journey!

Did you ever listen to Miles' Jack Johnston tribute or the Fred McDowell Lomax recording, to provide points of reference back to the article which inspired all this?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mwhouston said:

I have the recording. We can play it on my Salt Cellar setup. 

very much looking forward to it 🙂

That Salt Cellar article essentially argues that modern hifi has lost its way. While I've no basis for any opinion either way, I'd certainly never previously considered that mono listening was a thing, so that is the feature that absolutely intrigues me with this concept!  I recently asked on a different thread where one might go to hear a system with horns, I see that I made an assumption by using the plural 🙂