I bought a new amp a few months ago and during the demo the sales guy compared 2 Isotek power cables with the stock one. There was a noticeable positive difference with both Isoteks. But I thought I should research this first as it was an upselling situation. I went back and later bought an Isotek EVO3 Premier with pleasing results at home. I'm now thinking to go back and buy one of the cheaper Isotek Intiniums to try on my DAC. And then swap the two cables around between DAC and amp just to see if that makes a difference.

I'm mainly streaming Spotify high quality from a Macbook Pro into the DAC via the Mac's optical audio out, so my main question is whether upgrading the DAC cable can be expected to make much further improvement seeing as I can't do much about the Macbook pro cable. I'm thinking of trying just the entry level Intinium for the DAC not the next step up to Premier. The retailer will allow me to return if I hear no improvement, but I'd be curious on thoughts anyone has in advance. Cheers.

27 minutes ago, Guyzer said:

but I'd be curious on thoughts anyone has in advance.

You may wish you hadn't said that. Anyway my advice would be try without buying first. If you buy something, then since you have already bought it you will be convinced it sounds better. I don't use fancy power or digital cables in my hifi and it's slightly more expensive than yours. Spend more money on electronics and less on wire.

Using the search function will give you plenty of advice and opinions on this matter.

Pretty sure there's a sub-forum too.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/forum/8-power-cables-electronics/

It's a polarising topic, buckle up for the replies but you may have abandoned the thread long before the dust has settled 😁

FWIW, I use them with some components and not with others 

21 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

If you buy something, then since you have already bought it you will be convinced it sounds better.

Allegedly

@Guyzer, let the familiarity with your system and your ears be the guide. Nobody on this forum can give you any practical assistance with this experiment.

Enjoy!

Like Guyzer I bought an Isotek Premier, but before the massive price hike. I too was impressed with the overall improvement ( aka. post purchase rationalisation). The purchase was prompted by the noticeable improvement I experienced when I had to replace a 1.2mm link cable from a PSU to a preamp. I ended up purchasing 3 more Isotek Premiers, doing so in a rush to beat the price hike. I would like to know how Guyzer find the Intinium if he purchases one. I still need a couple of more cables.

3 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

FWIW, I use them with some components and not with others 

Yes, I find this intriguing. I have noticed a difference myself, but I wouldn't know why. Initially I thought power stuff was just for high end, but the sales guy reckoned because high end components already had better power supplies, the more significant gains per buck are to be found in lesser gear. I'm sure that's just another opinion, but it did get me curious.

Didn't know about the price hike Fortmont. I'm checking out the entry level Intinium next and my ears will be judge and jury.

Only you will know the answer to your question when you try the cable in your system as suggested by some posters.  There can be benefits even in systems that would not be designated as hi end.  The answer will to some extent depend upon the respective components in any system and the overall system synergy.

@Ittaku says he does not use what he terms as fancy cables in his quality system.  I also have a quality system and I have spent serious money on wire including power cables.  For me I consider that there is a definite benefit and I have gained SQ value for the expenditure.  I take the treatment of power very seriously.  This is a topic in which there probably will not be a definitive answer.

John

Just to summarize all the contentious issues -

a) Burn in does not exist

b) high quality power cables do nothing

c) high quality interconnects do nothing

d) All solid state amps sound the same

e) Tubes are for pretentious pr*cks

f) The more you pay for x equipment the bigger pair of clangers you've got and the more chicks you'll pull

g) Vinyl always sounds better

h) Norah Jones is the best artist who ever walked the earth

Have I missed anything?

15 minutes ago, Assisi said:

@Ittaku I also have a quality system and I have spent serious money on wire including power cables.  For me I consider that there is a definite benefit and I have gained SQ value for the expenditure.  I take the treatment of power very seriously.  This is a topic in which there probably will not be a definitive answer.

Indeed, because this area is more akin to religion than science.

8 hours ago, TDK said:

f) The more you pay for x equipment the bigger pair of clangers you've got and the more chicks you'll pull

Have I missed anything?

your medication

9 hours ago, TDK said:

Have I missed anything?

Not sure why (f) is contentious ?

On 14/06/2020 at 9:47 PM, TDK said:

Have I missed anything?

A glass of good Barossa Shiraz will always make your system sound better

10 minutes ago, Rhythm Willie said:

I'll certainly be testing that one, but feel it is only right to compare to a range of other alcoholic beverages 😆

My update is I bought an Isotek Initium to go with the Premier I already had. Interestingly while the premier on my amp (Rega Elex-R) and stock cable on my Northstar Dac made a big improvement in opening the sound up, adding the Initium hasn't worked for me.

Putting the Initium on the Dac made the sound more revealing but at the cost of emphasising a tendency towards treble harshness in my system. Premier on Dac and Initium on amp deals with the harshness, but at some cost to the rhythm and musicality I love in the Elex-R. It's just a bit flat, beige and too well behaved.

So stock on Dac and premier on amp is the best sound for me so far. Who knows why? At least I have a retailer who accepts returns, so the next logical step is to try two premiers.

And by way of final report 2 premiers worked out nicely. Harsh edges and trade offs much reduced.

On 23/06/2020 at 8:42 AM, Rhythm Willie said:

So does a brownie😉😉😉

On 14/06/2020 at 10:17 PM, TDK said:

...g) Vinyl always sounds better...

Have I missed anything?

Especially on a Crosley turntable.

Posted (edited)

Between my power box and the outlets used for my hifi, lay 35 metres of cable. So I’m wondering how changing the last metre from the power outlet to the hifi components could make a difference. 

In my previous residence I had a sparky install a dedicated 15 amp cable direct to the hifi outlets. 

😖 no audible difference, but I felt better. 

So yeah, maybe it is just the last metre that counts. 😁

Edited by Ratbob
Forgot a bit

2 minutes ago, Ratbob said:

Between my power box and the outlets used for my hifi, lay 35 metres of cable. So I’m wondering how changing the last metre from the power outlet to the hifi components could make a difference.

Just you wait till I get my audiophile power station running 🤣

7 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

Just you wait till I get my audiophile power station running 🤣

One of those I have, but still use basic power cables.

On 14/06/2020 at 9:47 PM, TDK said:

Have I missed anything?

Just for fun let me answer this as  multi choice exam questions. ***Disclaimer  *** for fun only , this is not a war.

A. False

B. True

C. False

D.False

E. False( although this can be owner dependent )

F. Of Course

G. Mostly true.

H. I prefer her visually more than than aurally.

21 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

One of those I have, but still use basic power cables.

No, I mean a big solar/wind/battery hybrid power station, 100 MW or so.

Reticulation by custom hand wound transformers, and unobtanium cables on custom cable risers (no towers and poles), and custom audiophile switch/meter boxes at the customers premises.

16 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

No, I mean a big solar/wind/battery hybrid power station, 100 MW or so.

Reticulation by custom hand wound transformers, and unobtanium cables on custom cable risers (no towers and poles), and custom audiophile switch/meter boxes at the customers premises.

Ah nice. Nah, I just have a regenerator in my system. Tiny little custom power station.

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)