betty boop

Closed back headphone for teenager

hello stereonet brains trust,

my soon to be teenager daughter, has ben using a closed back pair of headphones for some years now. our neighbour actually gave her thee they look like a tandy/realitic affair but actually quite good and been good for her. but extensive use during covid home schooling and use at home pretty much used them up - wore them out... so now  bit touch and go.

So with her 13th birthday coming up we are thinking of getting her a set of headphones, she is using or now our sennheisser HD414SL which she seems to like ... but not closed back.... which she really wants.

ive been into headphones many years but all open back so none the wiser on closed designs...

given a birthday present want to give her

something decent.... but not over the top...rugged .... but she is a girl ! so not too utilitarian...not too heavy...not too delicate..

Has to be easy to drive phones as they will feed off mostly off her phone 3.5mm socket, iPad or our MacBook pros. so this is very important that they are phones that can work off these devices...

not wireless or noise cancelling anything like that 

price around $250... so please no suggestions way beyond that unless they are on special or someone is flogging a set for that sort of money...

what are some good suggestions, some brands coming to mind for me in closed back are sony, denon, beyerdynamic ? anything in sennheiser ? down want any beats or anything like that paying for the brand

suggestions please...

beyerdynamic dt 770

how about an audio technical M40x/M50x? Both can be had new for well within your budget. The M50x if she prefers more bassy music, and M40x for a more neutral sound. I have the M40x, and would highly recommend it for the price paid (approx $150)

Posted (edited)

Budget?

Edited; sorry, missed that....

These are used by Peofessional DJ all over the world, super robust and can go ear damaging levels 

my son has a pair.

https://www.storedj.com.au/sennheiser-hd25-classic-dj-and-monitoring-headphones-w-1-5m-cable-and-90-degree-plug

Edited by Addicted to music

How important are the looks part?

Most suggestions aren't exactly pretty headphones.

Meze 99 is fairly trendy looking and worth considering?

Oppo PM3  too.

The new AKG 371, just a bit boring looks though

I would actually suggest to let her choose in a shop. The external design and how comfortably they are might be more important than anything else. 

Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones

is that the oppo itrek ? 

thank you all for suggestions already, will be sure to check out all options suggested :) 

most important is easy to drive so works with iPhone/ipad/macbook pro and such 

budget around $250 so bit lower or bit higher is fine but doesnt mean $500 :D 

doesnt have to be too trendy looking or flashy or fashion statement or anything.  :D

some looks are good .... and utilitarian is just fine, no need to be rugged or anything :) 

7 minutes ago, Irek said:

I would actually suggest to let her choose in a shop. The external design and how comfortably they are might be more important than anything else. 

Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Good idea, 

let her decide on what she wants,  let her try out like places at JB....  however not a good time due to C19 

5 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

let her decide on what she wants,  let her try out like places at JB....  however not a good time due to C19 

definitely will do but good to know some options and indeed covid is creating an obstacle eg usual places like addicted to audio are not allowing demos...well they weren't a little while ago...

jb likely more amenable... though not sure how well covered for range,,

Another vote for M50x my son loved his so much that when he eventually wore them out after years of music and gaming [you can hardly kill them with a stick] I took him to Minidisc and let him try everything under $400. He picked another pair of M50x, they come in red and white too. 

That said those Oppos look very cool, I used to have their PM3, which were excellent, still one of my faves.

14 minutes ago, Moikel said:

Another vote for M50x my son loved his so much that when he eventually wore them out after years of music and gaming [you can hardly kill them with a stick] I took him to Minidisc and let him try everything under $400. He picked another pair of M50x, they come in red and white too. 

That said those Oppos look very cool, I used to have their PM3, which were excellent, still one of my faves.

thats good feedback from a youngn and appreciate. i like that these fold up. jb sells them as well. will definitely check out... with what ever else can including other suggestions here

The Audio Technica ATH-M50X are a good thing... I’ve used them for listening as well as DJing and they sound lovely. They were $149 at JB last week for one day only (40% off) - bugger that you missed it!

These are supposedly a nice sounding pair of closed back headphones too, with a more modern aesthetic. I’ve been tempted to try a pair, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD25s too and don’t really need a third pair right now. $100 off the normal price below:

https://www.storedj.com.au/audio-technica-ath-pro7x-premium-professional-dj-headphones-black

@betty boop

I have a pair of white OPPO PM-3 in very good condition.

They aren't getting used but I haven't gotten around to listing them.

If they sound the go, I'll send you some pics.

Benje

10 hours ago, Irek said:

I would actually suggest to let her choose in a shop

Don't let her do that, she might actually set her eyes on something like the Focal Stellia :) 

Oppo PM-3 in white or red seems like a good suggestion to me. Currently listed for $350 and usually goes on sale for $299 so could probably bargain to that.

Posted (edited)

AUD-ATHM50XWH.jpg

Edited by Irek

ATH vs Oppo. 

8 hours ago, pete_mac said:

The Audio Technica ATH-M50X are a good thing... I’ve used them for listening as well as DJing and they sound lovely. They were $149 at JB last week for one day only (40% off) - bugger that you missed it!

These are supposedly a nice sounding pair of closed back headphones too, with a more modern aesthetic. I’ve been tempted to try a pair, but I have a pair of Sennheiser HD25s too and don’t really need a third pair right now. $100 off the normal price below:

https://www.storedj.com.au/audio-technica-ath-pro7x-premium-professional-dj-headphones-black

Hehe always way isn’t it ! :D her cabs should have packed in last week ! Anyways about month for her birthday So have some time to choose   :)

MX50 in my opinion. They were my pick for our daughter,  but I decided the Bose QC 35s as they're just so darn comfortable. Cant stretch an extra $100?

....admittedly, we got ours with Qantas points

Stretch it a bit more... Focal Elegia... will last her all the way through University... ;) 

9 hours ago, pete_mac said:

I think that sort of cleared out JB :D

our local scorptec does seem to the the ST m50x so might wander down to check out. not sure they demo etc but will check.

46 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I think that sort of cleared out JB :D

our local scorptec does seem to the the ST m50x so might wander down to check out. not sure they demo etc but will check.

Yeah, they went quickly!! I bought a pair last year when they had the identical one-day sale, and manged 45% off after applying an emailed 5% off voucher to the main discount.  I've been very happy!  

The 40X are supposedly not far off the performance of the 50X. 

If I were to go to JB checking out headphones, I’d be taking alcohol wipes with me,   Use it b4 and after...   Too many unknowns,  rather know that I’ve done the precautions than be sorry...   A packet of Coles brand disinfectant wipes I picked up for $2,50 and are in a reusable seal....   Headphones are way to personal to be trying out right now...  Hence the reason why ATA has stopped all auditions and good on them...  you may need to call them to see if they have relaxed...   Everything else you touch with your hands and then you can either use sanitisers or wash them thoroughly,  when people place items like headphones close to areas of infection, no thanks .

25 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

If I were to go to JB checking out headphones, I’d be taking alcohol wipes with me,   Use it b4 and after...   Too many unknowns,  rather know that I’ve done the precautions than be sorry...   A packet of Coles brand disinfectant wipes I picked up for $2,50 and are in a reusable seal....   Headphones are way to personal to be trying out right now...  Hence the reason why ATA has stopped all auditions and good on them...  you may need to call them to see if they have relaxed...   Everything else you touch with your hands and then you can either use sanitisers or wash them thoroughly,  when people place items like headphones close to areas of infection, no thanks .

Yeah that is difficulty right now quite possible Jb won’t allow trying out in any case.

oppo are discontinued ? It seems not sure can demo anymore ...the at50x and OPPO seem most ideal contenders. 

Both good in styling vs rugged ie not fiddly bits break off or too flashy from all reviews have Seen at more forward the OPPO likely more down the middle ...

either seem good with iOS devices ...

53 minutes ago, betty boop said:

oppo are discontinued ? It seems not sure can demo anymore ...the at50x and OPPO seem most ideal contenders. 

Yeah, Oppo got out of the audio and headphones business. Drop purchased some of the Oppo PM IP and have developed the Drop + THX panda - same drivers as the PM-3 with different tuning.

Betty

If you were in Adelaide, you could borrow my PM-3.  :)

You mention pairing with an iphone.

I also have an OPPO HA-2 Dac/Headphone-amp.

It does high res, even DSD.

I could load up a DSF file on my iphone (which does take up a lot of space, so it isn't really tht great an idea), use the Onkyo HF Player app on my iphone, connect the iphone to the dac with a lightining to USB-A connector, plug the headphones into the HA-2 and there you have it - DSD from the phone to the headphones.  The HA-2 is about the same size as an iphone SE or iphone 6.  Jin the two with the oppo rubber bands (supplied) and voila an amazing player.  It is overkill though.

Neither received much use despite how good they are.  I have Nuraloops now as well.

Benje