Rega RP3 Sub Platter Upgrade

I have recently replaced the stock Rega Sub platter on my RP3 with a Fidelity Designs Reference Sub Platter and Bearing kit. Very happy with the result; a noticable improvement in overall clarity and more solid bass.  Not sure how this kit would compare with Tango or Groovetracer, but price wise it seemed about the right amount to spend on this level of turntable. I would be interested on the views of others who have done sub platter upgrades.

I would expect this mod to do more for reducing ow which is the problem with the original subplatter. The after market ones are true the stock ones are not. Clarity and bass changes are not what I would expect, bass maybe as slightly more more mass, but tidier ie less wow, maybe this is what you mean?

Chris

I had the groove tracer sub platter and acrylic platter on a planar 3 and later a p6, build quality of both was miles ahead of the Rega parts. 

Sound took a more solid feel, but at the time I also ditched the Rega élyse cart for a dynavector 10x5 which was briliant 

• Like 1

Yes, i would say that 'solid' is a good word to describe a fuller sound. Still feel, in answer to Chris, that there is an improvement in the bass, albeit moderate. The clarity may come as Chris suggests may be from the sound being tidier; possibly a case of semantics? I have also previously done an Isokinetic Cardas rewire on the RB303 that was also a definite improvement. I haven't any experience of the Elyse or Dynavector cartridges, but suspect the move to MC would result in an improvement. I bought my PR3 without a cart as I already has an Ortofon MC 30 Super. I clumsily damaged the cantilever, so replaced it with an Ania. Quite happy with it.

Peter

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I’m going through the same process - would like to upgrade sub platter and platter but the GrooveTracer just doesn’t seem to make sense financially. The reference sub platter and delron platter come out to about $700 aud I believe and for a Planar 3, that is more half the value of the turntable itself. Is it worth it, even the Tangospinner? The Fidelity Designs seems like a really good price but if there’s a big difference in SQ I don’t want to compromise.

1 hour ago, steveo_lfc8 said:

I’m going through the same process - would like to upgrade sub platter and platter but the GrooveTracer just doesn’t seem to make sense financially. The reference sub platter and delron platter come out to about $700 aud I believe and for a Planar 3, that is more half the value of the turntable itself. Is it worth it, even the Tangospinner? The Fidelity Designs seems like a really good price but if there’s a big difference in SQ I don’t want to compromise.

I can't comment on the Fidelity Designs or Tangospinner options except to say that people who have used them have said they are happy with the upgrade. I have three Rega TTs with Groovetracer reference sub-platters and Delrin platters and I can highly recommend them, the quality is first rate and they brought a noticeable improvement to the decks. You can always sell them separately if you decide to sell off your TT down the track.

Edited by Telecine