Cheers @gwurb. For a portable DAC I'm happy to spend a bit more as I won't need to buy two now - one for the phone and one for use in the house. 

Have a great weekend 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of the sample rate and bit depth information is for the audio/signal when it is in the digital form. Once it's in analogue form don't think of it in terms of sample rate and bit depth.   To

NBN Don’t get me started!!!!!

Have you received your Meizu HiFi Pro? If so how are you finding it? I ended up buying a preloved Schiit Modi 3.  I’m looking forward to testing it out.

13 hours ago, YippeKiYay said:

I was going to try streaming through the Primare, but it has been playing up the last couple of nights it keeps stuttering. This is more than likely down to my poor internet (yes, I am on the NBN but you wouldn't think so).

Make sure your streamer is connected to your network via gigabit Ethernet cable not WiFi, and that the physical connection continues all the way back to your internet modem. If that's not possible then aim to use 5GHz WiFi not 2.4GHz.

• Like 1

> What about those Audioquest Dragonfly USB DACs?

I've just ordered a Meizu HiFi Pro for portable throwing in my laptop bag, apparently far exceeds the Dragonfly and only about $40USD (A$60). Will see when it arrives.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2020 at 10:20 PM, navlrac said:

> What about those Audioquest Dragonfly USB DACs?

I've just ordered a Meizu HiFi Pro for portable throwing in my laptop bag, apparently far exceeds the Dragonfly and only about $40USD (A$60). Will see when it arrives.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/

Have you received your Meizu HiFi Pro? If so how are you finding it? I ended up buying a preloved Schiit Modi 3.  I’m looking forward to testing it out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

> Have you received your Meizu HiFi Pro?

So my experiment in best I could get on the cheap resulted in me refusing to pay for courier, and kind of backfired. I took the free delivery option 😣.  With Covid and everything going on, I guess it got put on a ship (or a few).

After 4 weeks, the status was arrived in Singapore, after another 3 weeks it has been scanned in Australia today. I can only imagine how long it will take to get to me now, would this week be too optimistic? I'll let you know...

• Like 1
On 28/07/2020 at 9:10 PM, Little_Joe said:

Yes, you may be waiting a couple of weeks. I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

my Meizu Hifi Pro finally arrived Monday 🙂 and I've had a small amount of time to listen to it.

(I'm generally rubbish at critical listening) But I have so far listened only with my old Denon AH-C560R earphones, and my Fostex TR-70 250ohm open headphones.

With the Denon's there was heaps of bass as expected, sounded quite boomy actually, but I normally only use those on the bus or plane where the extra bass helps. Midrange and treble was fine.

Switching to the TR-70s, first impression was the sound is great, very transparent and crystal clear (much better than the C560R) and no issue getting enough volume. The Meizu has 2Vpp output I believe so it can drive, 250-300ohm just fine. I felt however the bass was not quite right. At first I thought it was the headphones, but I switched back to my Topping E30 + JDS Atom, and the bass was back. The TR-70s are quite flat without strong bass to start with, so any drop is bass seems quite noticeable. What confirmed this for me was re-reading the Audioscience review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/ which noted the same issue with bass in the listening tests.

I have some ATH-MSR7B at the office which I'm keen to try out next week, they may do better with their greater bass emphasis than the TR-70.

Edited by navlrac
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I felt however the bass was not quite right.

So listened to the Meizu HiFi on my old ATH-M40x from my Android device and I must say it sounded great. No lack of bass which I found on the higher impedance TR-70. Plenty of volume too, way more than I could tolerate anyway. The Meizu is *really* tiny, so its excellent for use with mobile or to keep in laptop bag.

In any case, I've started playing with E1DA 9038S G3, which is a lot more competent and a fair bit larger (but still small compared to desktop DAC) and its balanced output, so can only be used on balanced wired headphones. Gave the Meizu + M40x to my wife who's more than happy with the combo!

Still waiting on TRRRS connector components from Ali to make up balanced cables for the TR-70 ...

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Meggs8
      Item Condition: As new, purchased 3 weeks ago. Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Paynesville State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal, EFT or Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Just after buying this I also bought a Cambridge CXA 81 amp which has an inbuilt DAC. Further information:
       Paid $402.95 only 3 weeks ago but the ended up buying a Cambridge CXA 81 amp which has an inbuilt DAC.  I did a lot of research before buying the SMSL M200 and they come up as the by far best DAC for their price.  Balanced and unbalanced inputs, bluetooth that I found as good as the direct input and extensive tuning options. and an included remote. A great DAC but now surplus to my requirements.  
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item

• By AntonyS
      Item Condition: Like new - bought Nov '20, used twice Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Caulfield South State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal Reason for selling: Unwanted / unused gift Further information:

Includes original box, receipt from Australian store, and all items included in original package aside from the carry pouch that is mislaid. 

Photos:

• By sunbird
      Item Condition: very good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Hurlstone Park State: NSW Payment Method: Paypal (+3.5%), Paypal friend, cash on pick-up Reason for selling: Not sure ... hence EOI I bought this from Clay about 2.5 years ago.
      It was originally built in mid-2014 and then with Clay until I bought it in mid-2018. The Konverter has been part of my system ever since while a number of other DACs came and went.
      Amazing Gieseler quality one of a kind DAC with some added tube goodness. Exceptional build quality and very high spec components – this was originally going to retail for around the $6,000 mark. Almost perfect combination of detail retrieval, musicality and tube-flavour of choice, which is why I kept coming back to this over and over again.

EOI at this stage, as this is one of the very few items I believe I might regret selling. House renos are imminent and I need to simplify system and get rid of some gear.

Link to Clay’s original for sale add with a lot more detail and some additional photos:
      https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/249039-sold-gieseler-konverter-dac-original-tube-version/?tab=comments#comment-3927621

Quote from a PM that Clay sent to when giving the Konverter a final test-run before sending it:
      “I compared it to a Gross DAC & was quite surprised with the result. I was expecting more detail from the Gross but it was the other way round. Bottom end was similar on both DAC’s - maybe a fraction tighter on the Gross but not much in it.”

I had one issue with the Konverter a couple of months after buying it. The LDR/optical volume system was drifting out of balance favouring the left channel. Initially adjusted back with the balance trimmer on the PCB inside the Konverter with Clay’s remote support, but kept drifting out of balance. New Optos were ordered from the US, matched and installed by Terry Demole (zenelectro here on SNA) in Sydney with some remote assistance provided by Clay. Problem resolved and no issues in the 2 years since.

The DAC comes with several tubes that I used over the years, so you have a good range of different “flavours” to experiment with:
      1.      Genalex Gold Lion E88CC (this was the original tube it came with)
      2.      Philips NOS PCC88 (provided by Clay as an option)
      3.      Amperex 6922 US Pinched Waist D Getter PQ 1959 (my favourite)
      4.      Siemens E88CC grey shield 1966
      5.      Telefunken E88CC 1968

Any questions, please ping me a PM or ask here.

I am very reluctant to post this – not due to weight but rather due to potential damage in transit, so pick-up only at the moment. I can deliver within Greater Sydney if required and pre-arranged. No in-home auditions at this stage – sorry.

Cheers,
      Ralf

• By peppy
      Item: AUDIO GD
      R27
      R28
      D27
      D28

Any of the above All in One models.
      Price Range: Nego
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: I am based in Sydney . Can cover postage

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By swcng2001
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Camberwell State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal or cash on pickup only Reason for selling: Have alternative DACs Further information:
       This is the mastering version of professional quality digital/analogue convertor, with a multitude of digital inputs (SPDIF, USB 1.1 and 2.0, AES/EBU, Firewire and TOSLink) and has both balanced and RCA outputs. There is also a headphone output. This version has the LED input level arrays. Its an excellent sounding unit and very well built.
      Specifications
      - Conversion: 32bit, PCM up to 192k, 64xDSD, 128xDSD.
      - Dynamic Range: 128dB (ESS Sabre chipset in 8 mono to 2
      stereo config.) THD DAC: -110dB.
      - Digital Audio Inputs: SPDIF, AES/EBU, Toslink all up to 192k
      single wire. (64xDSD and 128XDSD SDIF DSD interface on
      Mastering Version).
      - Clock: Internal Clock Generator (10ps jitter,) Wordclock In and
      Out, or sync to incoming digital audio input with low jitter JET (tm)
      PLL.
      - Internal Async Hardware Upsampling- 16bit 44.1k etc. can be
      optionally upsampled prior to conversion to 192k/24bit with clock
      jitter eliminated.
      - Transparent, 1dB stepped programmable analog attenuator,
      separate for main out and headphones.
      - Relay bypass of the attenuator for direct purist DAC out.
      - High Current, High Slew Rate ultra low distortion 500mA
      hi-fi headphone amp.
      - Worldwide user switchable linear power supply.
      - Online downloadable firmware updates.
      - Optional infrared remote (avail 2012).
      - Enclosure: Compact portable 1/2 rack space 1.72in H x 8.5in W x
      8.5in D.
      - Weight 6 lbs.
      User Menu Choices:
      - Functions assignable to buttons: MUTE, PHASE INVERT,
      MONO, (L-R), M/S, DIM.
      - Selection of clock choices.
      - Choice of upsampling or not.
      - Selection of slow or fast/steep filter for PCM.
      - Selection of 3 filters for out of band DSD.
      -Assignable input selection (display only active).
      - Dimmable intensity of display/led meter.
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved