Cheers @gwurb. For a portable DAC I'm happy to spend a bit more as I won't need to buy two now - one for the phone and one for use in the house. 

Have a great weekend 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of the sample rate and bit depth information is for the audio/signal when it is in the digital form. Once it's in analogue form don't think of it in terms of sample rate and bit depth.   To

NBN Don’t get me started!!!!!

Have you received your Meizu HiFi Pro? If so how are you finding it? I ended up buying a preloved Schiit Modi 3.  I’m looking forward to testing it out.

13 hours ago, YippeKiYay said:

I was going to try streaming through the Primare, but it has been playing up the last couple of nights it keeps stuttering. This is more than likely down to my poor internet (yes, I am on the NBN but you wouldn't think so).

Make sure your streamer is connected to your network via gigabit Ethernet cable not WiFi, and that the physical connection continues all the way back to your internet modem. If that's not possible then aim to use 5GHz WiFi not 2.4GHz.

• Like 1

> What about those Audioquest Dragonfly USB DACs?

I've just ordered a Meizu HiFi Pro for portable throwing in my laptop bag, apparently far exceeds the Dragonfly and only about $40USD (A$60). Will see when it arrives.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2020 at 10:20 PM, navlrac said:

> What about those Audioquest Dragonfly USB DACs?

I've just ordered a Meizu HiFi Pro for portable throwing in my laptop bag, apparently far exceeds the Dragonfly and only about $40USD (A$60). Will see when it arrives.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/

Have you received your Meizu HiFi Pro? If so how are you finding it? I ended up buying a preloved Schiit Modi 3.  I’m looking forward to testing it out.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

> Have you received your Meizu HiFi Pro?

So my experiment in best I could get on the cheap resulted in me refusing to pay for courier, and kind of backfired. I took the free delivery option 😣.  With Covid and everything going on, I guess it got put on a ship (or a few).

After 4 weeks, the status was arrived in Singapore, after another 3 weeks it has been scanned in Australia today. I can only imagine how long it will take to get to me now, would this week be too optimistic? I'll let you know...

• Like 1
On 28/07/2020 at 9:10 PM, Little_Joe said:

Yes, you may be waiting a couple of weeks. I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

my Meizu Hifi Pro finally arrived Monday 🙂 and I've had a small amount of time to listen to it.

(I'm generally rubbish at critical listening) But I have so far listened only with my old Denon AH-C560R earphones, and my Fostex TR-70 250ohm open headphones.

With the Denon's there was heaps of bass as expected, sounded quite boomy actually, but I normally only use those on the bus or plane where the extra bass helps. Midrange and treble was fine.

Switching to the TR-70s, first impression was the sound is great, very transparent and crystal clear (much better than the C560R) and no issue getting enough volume. The Meizu has 2Vpp output I believe so it can drive, 250-300ohm just fine. I felt however the bass was not quite right. At first I thought it was the headphones, but I switched back to my Topping E30 + JDS Atom, and the bass was back. The TR-70s are quite flat without strong bass to start with, so any drop is bass seems quite noticeable. What confirmed this for me was re-reading the Audioscience review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/meizu-hifi-pro-usb-c-phone-dongle-dac-review.10423/ which noted the same issue with bass in the listening tests.

I have some ATH-MSR7B at the office which I'm keen to try out next week, they may do better with their greater bass emphasis than the TR-70.

Edited by navlrac
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I felt however the bass was not quite right.

So listened to the Meizu HiFi on my old ATH-M40x from my Android device and I must say it sounded great. No lack of bass which I found on the higher impedance TR-70. Plenty of volume too, way more than I could tolerate anyway. The Meizu is *really* tiny, so its excellent for use with mobile or to keep in laptop bag.

In any case, I've started playing with E1DA 9038S G3, which is a lot more competent and a fair bit larger (but still small compared to desktop DAC) and its balanced output, so can only be used on balanced wired headphones. Gave the Meizu + M40x to my wife who's more than happy with the combo!

Still waiting on TRRRS connector components from Ali to make up balanced cables for the TR-70 ...

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By atty
      Item Condition: Brand new Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: BONDI State: NSW Payment Method: Paypal, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Left over stock Hi all,    I'm selling a brand new Bluesound Node 2i in black. Unit is in factory sealed box. Unit comes with 2 years warranty backed by Convoy International Australia.    For clarification, I run speaker building workshops in Sydney and as part of the business I sell HiFi equipment - this is the last unit I have hence the discount.    Unit specifications and info can be found here.  
      Photos:

• By Tassie Devil
      Item Condition: Unmarked Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: Dilston State: TAS Payment Method: Bank Transfer Reason for selling: Surplus to requirements This ia a small quality DAC/headamp as reviewed here:  https://www.listeningpost.co.nz/products/archives-discontinued/icon-dac-nuforce-force-__I.62364__C.50400__N.27756

Key Features
      Asynchronous low-jitter USB interface Supports Windows 7, 8, Mac OSX, Android 4.1.1* High-precision 32-bit DAC Powerful 8V output headphone amplifier 6.3mm headphone output jack 3.5mm analog input and RCA analog output Audiophile TOCOS volume pot Multiple stage filtering and regulated up-converted 24V rail power supply High-quality aluminum chassis  
      Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved

• By MusicaMachina
      Item Condition: Excellent Shipping Options: Shipping is included in price. Suburb or Town: MELBOURNE State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal Reason for selling: NLR Further information:

Shipping (Australia metro areas) and insurance allowance is included in price.
      Paypal fees at buyer's cost
      Excellent Condition
      Silver Aluminium Case

I purchased this unit as new in July 2019 from Shenzhen Audio. It will be shipped will all original original packaging (box in box). Includes Unit itself, AU mains power cord, remote control, USB cable, 2 x wifi antenna and User Manual (English and Chinese language). 

The Matrix Element X can drive a set of headphones, active speakers or an amp and passive  speakers. It does DLNA streaming, MQA and functions as a Roon Endpoint or Airplay renderer. I used it in a second system mainly with Roon over WIFI network and Spotify via Airplay. I have tried the coax, optical  and usb inputs and they all work fine. I haven't tried the IIS as I don't have anything compatible. 

·         DAC ES9038PRO/ES9311/Femtosecond Clock
      ·         USB InterfaceXU216 XMOS processor,
      ·         Full Balanced Headphone Amplifier
      ·         Pre-amplifier - built-in analog pre-amplifier with +10dB analog gain
      ·         Firmware updated to current version B61601

Review (there are a couple of alternative reviews on Matrix website) 

Matrix Audio element.X streaming MQA DAC, HP amp and pre-amp – YouTube

Matrix Website:  https://matrix-digi.com/en/products/321.html

Matrix Audio MA Remote App iphone/ipad https://apps.apple.com/au/app/ma-remote/id1475439058

Specifications

Digital Input

COAXIAL & OPTICAL
      PCM 16-24Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz
      DSD 2.8MHz (DoP)

IIS LVDS
      PCM 16-32Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6kHz, 768kHz
      DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz (DoP)
      DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6 MHz, 11.2 MHz, 22.4MHz, 45MHz (Native)

USB Audio
      PCM 16-24Bit /44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6kHz, 768kHz
      DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz (DoP)
      DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz, 22.4MHz (Native)

Network
      LAN: 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX
      WIFI: 2.4GHz/5GHz, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac standard

Line Output

XLR
      SNR: > -131dB
      THD+N: <0.00012%@1k, <0.00025%@20Hz-20kHz
      Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz ±0.05 -3dB@120kHz
      Crosstalk : >-145dB
      XLR Amplitude: 4.5VRMS@0dB ,15.8VRMS@+10dB

RCA
      SNR: > -124dB
      THD+N: <0.00012%@1k, <0.00025%@20Hz-20kHz
      Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz ±0.05 -3dB@105kHz
      Channel Crosstalk : >-137db
      RCA Amplitude: 2.3VRMS@0dB , 8VRMS@+10dB

Headphone Output

XLR4 and Dual XLR3
      SNR: >-117dB
      THD+N: <0.00055%@20Hz-20kHz 1VRMS
      Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz ±0.05 -3dB@50kHz
      Output Impedance: <1.5Ω
      Output Power: 1700mw@33Ω, 1180mw@300Ω, 650mw@600Ω, 1%THD
      Gain: +18dB@Low Gain, +28dB@High Gain

TRS 6.35mm
      SNR: >-112dB
      THD+N: <0.00055%@20Hz-20kHz 1VRMS
      Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz ±0.1 -3dB@50kHz
      Output Impedance: <1.5Ω
      Output Power: 1150mW@33Ω, 308mW@300Ω, 152mW@600Ω, 1%THD

MA.PLAYER

Format Supported
      MP3 , WMA , WAV , AIF, AIFC, AIFF, AAC, FLAC, OGG, APE, ALAC, M4A, DSF, DFF
      PCM Sampling rate
      PCM 16/24/32Bit 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 352.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6kHz, 768kHz
      DSD Sampling rate
      DSD 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz, 22.4MHz

USB Storage Device

element X can use the devices which conform to USB mass storage standards and supports FAT, FAT32, exFAT, and NTFS file formats, but is not guaranteed to be compatible with all storage devices or memory cards.

Power

Power Voltage
      230V position is fit for AC220V-240V (on base of unit) 50/60Hz 115V position is fit for AC100V-120V 50/60Hz
      Stand-by Power Consumption<1W
      Sleep Power Consumption  <4W

Dimensions

340×281×60mm
      (L×W×H, including the protruding part)
      Weight
      4.2kg

Accessories:

RM3 remote control
      Power cable
      USB cable
      WiFi antenna x2

• By Snoopy8
      Been going through the Gieseler DAC threads to dig up owners’ reviews & impressions over the past 2 few years.  Together, they provided an impressive picture of how well Clay has made his DACs and has lead me to consider  purchase the upcoming Groß DAC with balanced outputs.   

Kompakt Reviews & Impressions
      lenticularis 23 Sep 20, 29 Nov 20 compared with Klein III
      herbs 24 Sep 20
      franky995 24 Sep 20 compared with Gross
      naggots 25 Sep 20
      pete_mac 20 Oct 20
      John0001 10 Nov 20
      ray4410 24 Nov 20 compared with Denafrips Ares II

Fein II Reviews & Impressions
      helland 28 Mar 19 
      RussB 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross with gold tuned PSU
      Snoopy8 14 Apr 19 compared with Gross with gold tuned PSU
      Galatic Soap 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + BluMk2
      Max Headroom 30 Jul 19 compared with Chord Hugo TT2 + MScaler
      andrewyuri 2 Aug 19 compared with Chord 2Qute
      Steve M 8 Aug 19 compared with Holo Audio Spring Level 3, MF Trivista 21,  NuForce Reference, Topping D10
      Suopermanni 12 Sep 19 compared with Topping D70
      Pete Gardner 16 Jan 20 compared with Klein III
      Scott Daniel 6 Jun 20

Klein III Reviews & Impressions
      pnes_nv 20 Oct 18 compared with Arcam irDac II
      pete_mac 10 Nov 18 compared with Klein
      DrSK 11 Dec 18 compared with Oppo 205
      Snrub 8 Mar 19 compared with Audiolab M-Dac
      lenticularis 4 Sep 19 compared with Modi 3
      pete_mac 24 Sep 19 compared with Audio-GDPCM1704UK 
      bjs 30 Oct 2019 compared with Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, 14 Nov 19 compared with Chord Mojo
      krappo 26 Feb 20 

Groß (Gross) Reviews & Impressions
      illbarto 18 Sep 17 compared with Klein II
      Snoopy8  5 Oct 17 compared with Audiolab 8200CDQ, 13 May 18, compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      BAM 6 Oct 17 compared with PSAudio Directstream
      bhobba 28 Nov 17, 22 Jan 18 compared with PSAudio Directstream
      Ancientflatulence 15 Dec 17
      Suopermanni 23 Dec 17 compared with Gungnir Multibit
      Bill125812 18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Nu Wave
      scumbag  18 Jan 18 compared with PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      RussB 23 Feb 18, 8 Apr 18 compared with Klein, Chord Qutest
      Mattw 4 Mar 18 6 Mar 18 14 Mar 18 compared with Starting Point Systems DAC3
      Mike13 6 Mar 13 compared with Chord 2Qute, 13 May 18 compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      Francisco 8 Mar 18
      Stereophilus 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua, PSAudio Directstream, Chord DAVE
      Assisi 11 Mar 18 compared with Mola Mola Makua
      Rosco8 24 Mar 18 compared with Cayin (Valve/SS),  ARCAM-II DAC II 
      Bunno77 26 Mar 18 compared with Geek Pulse S Infinity
      Rawl99 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer
      rmpfyf 2 Apr 18 compared with Killer
      Conch 16 Apr 18 compared with Klein II, Chord 2qute, Accuphase Dac50
      Max Headroom 10 May 18, 13 May 18 compared with Chord 2Qute, PS Audio Direct Stream jnr
      buddyev 31 Oct 18 compared with Topping D50
      lemarguis 10 Jul 19 compared with Klein II
      Pkay 23 Jul 19 compared with Chord Qutest + Mscaler
      noisuf 23 Oct 20  compared with Denafrips Ares II

Konverter Reviews & Impressions
      ~Spyne~ 29 Apr 17
       Woadl 13 Jun 17 compared with Auralic Vega

Klein II Reviews & Impressions
       Andrewyuri 1 May 16 compared with Klein
       Jonny 31 Jul 16 compared with Antelope Gold

Klein Reviews & Impressions
       GPK 17 Jun 15
       Bill125812 28 Jun 15 compared with NAD M51
       naggots  29 Jun 15
       rambada 7 Aug 15
       matt200sr 10 Aug 15
       naggots 21 Sep 15 on SE version
       scumbag 16 Oct 15 compared with MyDac
       joz 29 Oct 15
       pete_mac 5 Nov 15 compared with audio-gd DAC16DSP
       pop9745 25 Nov 15 compared with Chord Hugo, Resonessence Labs Concero HD, and Ifi
       betocool 1 Dec 15
       woadl 1 Dec 15
       andrewyuri 13 Apr 16 compared with Arcam irDac, Nad M51 
      Jventer 15 May 16 compared with PSAudio Directstream
       NcA 27 May 16
       Tellmidd 16 Jul 16
       Powerav 15 Oct 16
       Zypr 16 Jan 17
      Terry0 11 Mar 18 compared with Oppo 205, Bluesound Node2

Please post if corrections, additions required…

p/s no association with Gieseler Audio.
    • By SssJedi
      Item Condition: Mint - always used with leather case Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Tarneit State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal with fees, EFT Reason for selling: Moved to desktop setup, surplus to requirements Further information: 
      Chord Mojo with Miter leather case in great condition. Selling as have moved to desktop amp setup. Comes with original box and USB charging cable.

Bought year and half ago but used for less then 6 months, as moved to Sony DAP and then a desktop setup.

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved