IKEA launching Solar products

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/customer-service/product-support/solar-panels/home-solar-brisbane-pubdcabd5d0

ikea is partnering with an existing provider, haven’t exactly looked at the costing to see how they compared....   some decent 370W Trina panels with a Growatt inverter and 6.5kw lithium battery.   If you’re on a tight budget, these are the things to look for, you don’t need expensive top of the line money can buy, this technology is changing as fast as display LED technology.  This is a good entry into green energy.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, complete newb here as I have just replaced an asbestos roof which you couldn't fit any system to and am wondering what this particular system with the battery would achieve in terms of reducing my power costs. Sorry have no interest in being greener as I already have no car grow my own food and buy everything I can second hand.

Thanks, D

8 hours ago, Dragoon said:

Hi there, complete newb here as I have just replaced an asbestos roof which you couldn't fit any system to and am wondering what this particular system with the battery would achieve in terms of reducing my power costs. Sorry have no interest in being greener as I already have no car grow my own food and buy everything I can second hand.

Thanks, D

Every application is unique,  available roof spade to orientation of house, trees shading etc will all depend on what system will give you the best outcome.  With a free  quote you need to provide them with your electricity usage to work out predictive cost savings that’s based on best case scenarios(perfect sunny days).   The systems advertised here are basic string systems that will have minima to no shade during the day.  If you have trees where shade will fall, you may need to go optimisers or microinverters etc.  So best to get several quotes with your electricity usage, and then with your property they can work out what system will suit you. 

Thanks AtM. At risk of looking like a fool would it be reasonable to say these systems aim to reduce your power costs with the benefit of green-ness. I understand that each situation is unique.

Thanks again D

I think a battery-backed solar system will definitely reduce your power bill, and considerably so in favourable circumstances. However, it will usually take the savings a long time to make up for the up-front expenditure, and that time may exceed the projected lifespan of the batteries.

This is the calculation you need to have done in order to figure out the purely economic benefit of such system.