FS: Kef Reference, Model Three - Two CLASSIC!

Item Condition: Amazing for their age
Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.
Suburb or Town: 2257 - Central Coast
State: New South Wales
Payment Method: PP, EFT, Cash on pickup
Reason for selling: Change in direction

Further information: KEF's 'Reference' series are classics, and this model was from before KEF sold out to a company in China.      I believe they date from the late 90s, but this pair is in amazingly pristine condition.  I've even included a shot of the base....you'd expect some wear-and-tear - but clean as a whistle.    Also, shots of the interior show the coupled-captivity bass units seem pristine.

I've had these speakers for several years - and they really are awesome.   Supremely natural, and bass and slam from heaven.    Treble might be ever-so-slightly rolled off at the high end, but these speakers would be absolutely ideal if your system has a a hot high end.  And  note these have a Max output of 115db!!!     That's a powerful speaker!    

Spec's below.    As each speaker weights about 35 Kgs, and as I have no boxes, I'm afraid this is almost certainly a local pickup job.    Talk to me of you have an alternative option.

Pricing.  These speakers are rare as hen's teeth, and these two are in amazingly good shape.    I believe in the late 90's they were maybe around the $15K mark (?) so $2K seems fair to me.     Some more info:

https://us.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum/1990s/reference-series-models-one-two-three-four

Specification: Model Three
System type: Four-way, floor standing
Enclosure type: Twin coupled cavity
Size: 1137 x 275 x 340mm (44.8 x 10.8 x 13.4 inches)
Weight: 35kg (77 lb)
Nominal Impedance: 4ohms
Amplifier requirements: 50-300W
Frequency response: 40Hz to 20kHz +/-3dB at 2m on reference axis
Sensitivity: 91dB at 1m/2.83V (anechoic conditions)
Maximum output: 115dB on programme peaks under typical listening conditions
System: SP3187
Drive units: 2 x B200 bass unit (SP1343), B160 lower midrange unit (SP1348), B160 midrange unit (SP1345), NT25 tweeter (SP1353)
Crossover: SP2225
System: SP3246 (with boundary compensation device)
Drive units: 2 x B200 bass unit (SP1343), B160 lower midrange unit (SP1348), B160 midrange unit (SP1345), NT25 tweeter (SP1353)
Crossover: SP2256

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

20200609_112122.jpg

20200609_112035.jpg

20200609_112106.jpg

20200609_112115.jpg

20200609_112149.jpg

20200609_112156.jpg

20200609_112223.jpg

20200609_111819.jpg

20200609_111850.jpg

20200609_111903.jpg

20200609_111910.jpg

20200609_111926.jpg

20200609_111940.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AR9 said:

Can you let me know why the original rubber surrounds of the Uni-Q drivers were replaced and the dust caps are now covering the high frequency drivers

Looks like there been reformed with foam instead of rubber and have covered the high frequency drivers  

Should be a nice sounding speaker.

Up to about 4 weeks ago I had the KEF Reference Model One from the same era (only single driver on the front as opposed to 2) as overkill computer speakers.  Gave them to Parents in Law for music and HT purposes and they really do sound nice. These would have to be better!!

Timber finish looks great and these speakers can get chips on the black painted surround on the bottom. So these are in a nice condition.

GLWTS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard260 said:

Looks like there been reformed with foam instead of rubber and have covered the high frequency drivers  

Those rubber surrounds don't often deteriorate (except for some extreme circumstances). The bass drivers still have the original surrounds however. 

3 hours ago, AR9 said:

Can you let me know why the original rubber surrounds of the Uni-Q drivers were replaced and the dust caps are now covering the high frequency drivers

I can't comment on your claim that the "original rubber surrounds" on the midrange drivers "have been replaced".    However, I can ASSURE you that the tweeters have NOT been covered over with "dust caps".     The coaxial Uni-Q tweeters are protected by an dark acoustically transparent cloth.  Sadly the flash I used has meant that this make them look a little unusual.   However, in the top pic you can see some glints of the underlying drivers.     Also.....at least one of the others who commented on these has actually owned this model...and he dodn't see anything amiss.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AJL999 said:

I can't comment on your claim that the "original rubber surrounds" on the midrange drivers "have been replaced".    However, I can ASSURE you that the tweeters have NOT been covered over with "dust caps".     The coaxial Uni-Q tweeters are protected by an dark acoustically transparent cloth.  Sadly the flash I used has meant that this make them look a little unusual.   However, in the top pic you can see some glints of the underlying drivers.     Also.....at least one of the others who commented on these has actually owned this model...and he dodn't see anything amiss.

Ok thanks replying

19 minutes ago, AJL999 said:

As I said before I owned these before... The uniQ was open on mine and I am not aware of any that were covered with a dust cap. The rubber surrounds Never deteriorate and these clearly have foam replacements. 

I would hazard a guess one of them was repaired at some point and the other done for continuity or possibly both needed repairs, and probably before you came to own them. 

I would still buy these in a heartbeat replace the rubber and remove the dust covers from the tweeters 

The only concern I would have would be if the tweeters were replaced with something else but from memory if you need to replace the tweeters you need to replace the whole driver... Could be wrong though 

Thanks Cambam.      I have owned these for several years, and they are exactly as I bought them.    As I said elsewhere, the top driver definitely doesn't have a "dust cap" over it - its a fabric protective dome.      And there is most definitely a tweeter under that cloth because I've (VERY carefully) placed something over that area when they are running - and you can immediately hear the high treble being cut out.    So there is absolutely a Uni-Q tweeter under their.      The cloth is there simly to protect the tweeter....much like newer KEF's have the tangerine wave guide over the tweeter.   So I have no evidence that the top driver pair was ever replaced or modified, and (most importantly) it sounds absolutely fine.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AJL999 said:

Thanks Cambam.      I have owned these for several years, and they are exactly as I bought them.    As I said elsewhere, the top driver definitely doesn't have a "dust cap" over it - its a fabric protective dome.      And there is most definitely a tweeter under that cloth because I've (VERY carefully) placed something over that area when they are running - and you can immediately hear the high treble being cut out.    So there is absolutely a Uni-Q tweeter under their.      The cloth is there simly to protect the tweeter....much like newer KEF's have the tangerine wave guide over the tweeter.   So I have no evidence that the top driver pair was ever replaced or modified, and (most importantly) it sounds absolutely fine.

This is it, it's all how they sound at the end of the day. 

I would happily take these over almost anything 3 times the price. 

The mid range and sound stage is unreal when properly driven 

• Like 2

Actually I do remember mine had transparent dome over the tweets also but there was a distinct gold ring around the tweeters that yours seems to be covered. It's not unheard of for kef to change things up mid production and there were a couple of different versions of the 3.

I had a pair of 104 that came standard with rubber on the mids and foam on the bass drivers  so again, I wouldnt be surprised if it was stock standard but my pair had rubber both top and bottom 

Edited by cambam007
  • Like 1

OK - so let's maybe get to the bottom of this.    I just managed to take a picture of the Uni-Q tweeter.  It's maybe not the clearest, but I believe it show exactly what should be there - a centered tweeter with a steel ring around it.   I shone a torch through the fabric dome, and the tweeter is quite visible.      As CamBam said, often the manufacturing process can change over a unit's life.    It's likely KEF decided that adding an extra cloth dome gave the tweeter more protection.  And as CamBam also pointed out...its the sound that counts.  They sound wonderful.  

20200609_192830[1].jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I haven't heard the R900 but if you can get a pair for 2k I want your source 

There is a direct lineage and the r3 was made during kefs hayday, also being top of the line. 

In my opinion as far as kef goes the older stuff was top of class for its time and the new stuff is while very good is over priced 

Just now, cambam007 said:

I haven't heard the R900 but if you can get a pair for 2k I want your source 

There is a direct lineage and the r3 was made during kefs hayday, also being top of the line. 

In my opinion as far as kef goes the older stuff was top of class for its time and the new stuff is while very good is over priced 

I had a r600c centre and it was very good, match for the r3, I would say side by side it would be hard to justify the price difference between the r3 and r900

• Like 1

Ive attached what my model one looked like..might help!?!?!.. just wish I cleaned them before this photo. It was just to quickly show my parents in law what they looked like before I took them over there.

modelone.jpg

Edited by 3dl3