Stanton 881s Cantilever repairs

Not sure if anyone can help me. I noticed that my new NOS Stanton 881s has a cantilever pointing to the side. It has about 20 hours use and I’m fairly sure that it was straighter when Ross set it up for me. 

I want to keep the cart given how good it sounds and one day I may get another TT or learn how to change carts. I want to try and keep the original stylus if possible. I have a few iPad photos attached. 

Any suggestions?

DCD1B151-3BD2-45B4-BB6A-27E37A805643.jpeg

1E25136A-AFCE-4CD8-88D7-220EFD7538E4.jpeg

5A66FBE2-01D6-4CA2-834C-DB15FCCF7095.jpeg

63EA9DC2-9145-41B3-A22E-B9918F7AFB2E.jpeg

9C501364-DC81-45FE-B44E-CEC2E3D1173E.jpeg

Edited by PKay
More photos added
  • Like 1

There is a guy in the USA that does an exceptional job retipping these. I have one of his retiped D3000 stylus and it sounds exactly like the original.

If you send it back to him I am sure he could repair this, keeping the original CL and diamond.

He is on eBay and goes by cartridge_retipping-5. Send him a message via eBay to see if he can fix it, and he will respond

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a strong chance Audio Dynamics in Melb can help. I had a D81 Mk2 stylus that was slightly twisted, and they sorted it for a very modest cost.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

There is a guy in the USA that does an exceptional job retipping these. I have one of his retiped D3000 stylus and it sounds exactly like the original.

If you send it back to him I am sure he could repair this, keeping the original CL and diamond.

He is on eBay and goes by cartridge_retipping-5. Send him a message via eBay to see if he can fix it, and he will respond

Thanks Warren, I might try the local guys. I expect the tip to be fine and possibly the suspension is out.

I'll try the local guys first thanks Anthony. @Grizzly

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PKay said:

Not sure if anyone can help me. I noticed that my new NOS Stanton 881s has a cantilever pointing to the side. It has about 20 hours use and I’m fairly sure that it was straighter when Ross set it up for me. 

63EA9DC2-9145-41B3-A22E-B9918F7AFB2E.jpeg

Yes - it's certainly offset to the side Peter.  :(

It could be caused by a number of things - including:

1. you have too much bias set on your arm?
  2. it's 'NOS' - so not new ... and the (rubber?) suspension has dried out, with time?

2 hours ago, Warren Jones said:

I suspect it's a suspension re-build that's required, Warren (not a re-tip).

Hopefully, Audio Dynamics can help you, Peter.  :thumb:

Andy

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, andyr said:

Yes - it's certainly offset to the side Peter.  :(

It could be caused by a number of things - including:

1. you have too much bias set on your arm?
  2. it's 'NOS' - so not new ... and the (rubber?) suspension has dried out, with time?

I suspect it's a suspension re-build that's required, Warren (not a re-tip).

Hopefully, Audio Dynamics can help you, Peter.  :thumb:

Andy

You're correct Andy it is NOS or at least sold as NOS from the US and way too difficult to send back by the time it got a few hours on it.  I don't use it at the moment but I would like to have it properly set for when I eventually give it a run.

• Like 1

Personally I've found the work done my Joseph Long (aka cartridge_retipping-5) is significantly better than Audio Dynamics in Melbourne. He has fewer diamond tips and cantilever options though the available options tend to be better at the cost, and are quieter in the groove. The other nice thing is you don't have to constantly chase him for updates on the retip as he keeps you up to date in contrast with Audio Dynamics sounding like they're doing you a favour to even look at it. I even had a few occasions where they'd misplaced my cartridges as had to locate it. I can't be bothered dealing with them any longer. That's been my experience though others may have experienced better.

The Empire EDR9 in my signature had it's suspension rebuilt and a new FG2 tip. Sounds absolutely stunning. Just received it back yesterday  :)

Edited by MattyW
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the stylus on one of my 881's and I have 2 more that have had the suspension perish causing them to bottom out at 1g Vtf.

Could someone comment how much the rebuild was including postage etc?

Thanks Ian.

My 681 eee has just collapsed it's suspension on an after market elliptical stylus had about 10 hours on it. 

Apparently it's a Jico but there are no markings on it. 

The supplier said he will replace it when stylii are available.

First time a cartridge has given me suspension problems.

On 09/06/2020 at 10:31 AM, MattyW said:

Personally I've found the work done my Joseph Long (aka cartridge_retipping-5) is significantly better than Audio Dynamics in Melbourne. He has fewer diamond tips and cantilever options though the available options tend to be better at the cost, and are quieter in the groove. The other nice thing is you don't have to constantly chase him for updates on the retip as he keeps you up to date in contrast with Audio Dynamics sounding like they're doing you a favour to even look at it. I even had a few occasions where they'd misplaced my cartridges as had to locate it. I can't be bothered dealing with them any longer. That's been my experience though others may have experienced better.

The Empire EDR9 in my signature had it's suspension rebuilt and a new FG2 tip. Sounds absolutely stunning. Just received it back yesterday  :)

I agree....Joseph does more than just retipping. The job he did realigning the MR tip on a broken boron cantilever on my Grace Level II BR/MR was nothing short of brilliant. The cart sounds heavenly!

Edited by stevoz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevoz said:

I agree....Joseph does more than just retipping. The job he did realigning the MR tip on a broken boron cantilever on my Grace Level II BR/MR was nothing short of brilliant. The cart sounds heavenly!

Yes, he did a rebuild for a F9 with boron cantilever, tie wire and micro ridge tip as well which is the best I've ever heard a Grace F9.

On 21/06/2020 at 11:22 PM, TOPSHELF said:

Looks like the stylus on one of my 881's and I have 2 more that have had the suspension perish causing them to bottom out at 1g Vtf.

Could someone comment how much the rebuild was including postage etc?

Thanks Ian.

Type Stanton 881 retipping into eBay abd you will find his listings.

IIRC about $400-500AUD depending on diamond type.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Warren Jones said:

Type Stanton 881 retipping into eBay abd you will find his listings.

IIRC about $400-500AUD depending on diamond type.

Would that include a suspension rebuild as well?

24 minutes ago, PKay said:

Would that include a suspension rebuild as well?

I don't think so. I contacted Joseph through eBay and received this reply....

Thanks for contacting me. I’m not sure how much it would cost to do those suspensions. Generally the rubber on those is restored chemically. If it works the charge would be minimal. If the suspensions must be replaced, the cost is $150 each just for the suspension replacement. It’s very tedious, exacting work. I would be happy to look at them for you for free if you want my address.

I'm going to send him a few of my 881's carts and see what he thinks.

Cheers Ian.

On 08/06/2020 at 2:11 PM, Warren Jones said:

@adrocksthis guy in the US may be a better alternative to fix your 17D3.  They are an alternative to Soundsmith that I would consider.  It will be very difficult for you to get a mc cart for under $1k that comes close to the 17D3. 

6 hours ago, PKay said:

@adrocksthis guy in the US may be a better alternative to fix your 17D3.  They are an alternative to Soundsmith that I would consider.  It will be very difficult for you to get a mc cart for under $1k that comes close to the 17D3. 

Thanks Pkay. I'll contact him and see how I go. Agreed, 17D3 is a superbly musical cartridge and would be hard pressed to come up with anything close for under $1k. 

On 24/06/2020 at 9:25 PM, TOPSHELF said:

I don't think so. I contacted Joseph through eBay and received this reply....

Thanks for contacting me. I’m not sure how much it would cost to do those suspensions. Generally the rubber on those is restored chemically. If it works the charge would be minimal. If the suspensions must be replaced, the cost is $150 each just for the suspension replacement. It’s very tedious, exacting work. I would be happy to look at them for you for free if you want my address.

I'm going to send him a few of my 881's carts and see what he thinks.

Cheers Ian.

Did you end up sending him the carts?

9 hours ago, PKay said:

Did you end up sending him the carts?

Hi There,

Yes, I sent him 3 stylus and i am hoping to get the best one fixed. They all suffer from a collapsed suspension so hopefully after finding the one with the best diamond he will repair that one and advise on the others.

They haven't arrived yet, I will update this thread when they do.

Ian.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update here for the 3 x D81 stylus that I sent to Joseph.

First of all I have found the communication from Joseph to be clear, detailed and very prompt.

Here is part of one the emails from him.

The one with the good diamond is playing beautifully and hitting an astounding over 40dB channel separation.  D81S this old usually struggle to hit 32dB.

There was also a great pick of each of my stylus and a note on condition. Lastly for the better stylus a picture of it playing showing it's measurements.

So whilst I haven't actually had any work done by Joseph more he has assessed my stylus I feel I have had great service from him and a right result getting a near unused stylus back. When i had three of them i was always unsure which one sounded best now i know which one to invest time setting up.

A big thumbs up from me for Joseph.

Cheers Ian. 

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 2:53 PM, adrocks said:

Thanks Pkay. I'll contact him and see how I go. Agreed, 17D3 is a superbly musical cartridge and would be hard pressed to come up with anything close for under $1k. 

It is very hard to fix the 17d3. I would take on almost any cart, but the 17d3 is one I would not. Problem is it is very hard to get diamond cantilever at all, Namiki sell them but it is 2.5k US for one and 1.6k US if you buy 10!!!! How many 17D3 carts is a retipper going to ever fix? Not many if you have to tell customer it is 1.6K or 2.5k before you start work, cheaper to but a new cart. Even if the tip is worn removing the diamond out of a tiny hole drilled in a stupidly fragile cantilever cant think of anyone who would be game to do it. 

Chris

Edit.. I know people who had the 17D3 retipped but now they have ruby cantilevers..

Edited by cafe latte

18 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

It is very hard to fix the 17d3. I would take on almost any cart, but the 17d3 is one I would not. Problem is it is very hard to get diamond cantilever at all, Namiki sell them but it is 2.5k US for one and 1.6k US if you buy 10!!!! How many 17D3 carts is a retipper going to ever fix? Not many if you have to tell customer it is 1.6K or 2.5k before you start work, cheaper to but a new cart. Even if the tip is worn removing the diamond out of a tiny hole drilled in a stupidly fragile cantilever cant think of anyone who would be game to do it. 

Chris

Edit.. I know people who had the 17D3 retipped but now they have ruby cantilevers..

How does it sound with the Ruby cantilever ?

After going out to hear @Doppelganger Greg’s amazing Garrard 401 serviced by @Shark I took my 881 for Greg to have a look. He suggested trying it given how good the diamond looked. I lined up the crooked cantilever and I am blown away by how good this old cart sounds. 

I will be keeping this cart.

05B41FF5-ACCE-4613-989F-F5425D4C2F04.jpeg

383F2096-9502-4F72-AFDB-2967AD772EC1.jpeg

2C0E78AF-4FF4-4D64-B5C3-A618E7286784.jpeg

766208BC-36C4-4F04-B370-10DF459184B2.jpeg

• Like 1