Roon Nucleus as core and endpoint?

I need little help and advise from who know better than me.

I am running roon on my laptop and having sold my end point I was considering to buy roon nucles to use it as core and and point connecting via usb to my DAC. 

It is a good option or it  is better to have a separate unit as end point?

Thanks

Andrea

I have a gen 7 i3 NUC that is running their rock software and servicing a DAC via usb all works really well.

The only issue I had was system noise that I tracked back to the connected HDMI monitor (from before it was a roon device) - once that was disconnected life was good.

Paul

Edited by barbz127

11 hours ago, AndreaB said:

Hi Marc, 

I have Lab 12 dac1, has USB input. 

Thanks

Andrea

The potential problem with using a Nucleus with a Roon non-certified DAC means no guarantees that it will work reliably, unlike a PC or Mac that allows suitable drivers to be loaded to preserve compatibility. Unless certified, it’s very much trial and error. I tend to take home or try in-store any DAC with a USB input that come across my path to see how it fares.

Thanks for the reply, really pointed out something haven't thought at all. 

So if you don mind, what will be then a good streamer as roon end poin. I was using Lumin U1 mini and I sold because want to try TT but I realized that it is better to wait a bit with two young children :)

Thanks again

Andrea

19 minutes ago, AndreaB said:

Thanks for the reply, really pointed out something haven't thought at all. 

So if you don mind, what will be then a good streamer as roon end poin. I was using Lumin U1 mini and I sold because want to try TT but I realized that it is better to wait a bit with two young children :)

Thanks again

Andrea

I have read a few people online using Roon with the DAC but not sure if this is a Nucleus or a NUCLEUS running Roon.

If you wanted to confirm once and for all if the combination works, by all means bring the LAB into store and we can hook up and test.

Hi @AndreaB ,  as Jason has mentioned more NUC"s than those that Roon support will work with Roon Rock which means you can spend between from very litlle to what a Nucleus costs or more. Nucleus will always be supported by Roon (hopefully) but especially nucs not specified may one day not work with the most recent update. However the cost of Nucleus is quite high and besides being fanless is not clear what enhancements have been made in the hardware. 

The other thing is that even if you bought a nuc and it didnt for some reason work with Roon rock you could always install snakeoil os and then install roon server (same as on your laptop) on top of that 

Having a fanless case is nice but in reality with even a moderately powerful nuc the mechanical noise coming from it would be very low unless you plan to upscale to dsd. With curent gen nucs you can set a no fan setting which is almost as good. With all the money you saved doing this you could invest in a high quality Linear Power supply.  This will improve the SQ in both a single or dual unit setup, It does take a bit more effort to set up  but its not super difficult. Other options are to build a pc in a fanless case. A bit more effort required but not really any more than a lego build. Some of the cutting edge builds prefer to use one box only (high power cpu with gaming motherboard) but usually with a dedicated usb card and network card and LPS. Not to mention custom operating systems like Audiolinux, Euphony or using HQ player as endpoint.

Lots of choices...

• 3 weeks later...

52 minutes ago, trailiya said:

The only issue I had was system noise that I tracked back to the connected HDMI monitor (from before it was a roon device) - once that was disconnected life was good.

I had the exact same issue with my Intel nuc. All system noise was gone after disconnecting the HDMI lg monitor.

I run a HP Elitedesk 800 G2 i5 6th gen, with 16GB RAM and a 512 M.2 drive connected to a Dell touchscreen monitor via displayport. 3500 albums and no issues at all running it as a core and it's super quiet. If you want better sound, then add one of Clay's PSU's to it

20200629_081326.thumb.jpg.1f25b560ceafc32182225ba114eb0e45.jpg

Edited by DSD_Fan
  • Like 2