Is anyone else having Tidal lagging during songs?  

I perform a speed test and all seems very well, but when playing music that you might consider less popular I find it lags badly. Tonight it is especially bad.  

An historical issue with Tidal, the main reason why I dropped it.  Twice.

All good here tonight, any slowness issues I’ve had over the years have always been caused by my home network, Tidal via Roon on a NBN 50 plan is pretty much instant response.

I've used it on a Fibre To The Home network that I've had for 8 years on 100/40 plan, and constant issues with Tidal.  I still think the issue is with their Australian servers.

On 07/06/2020 at 6:00 PM, silrod said:

Is anyone else having Tidal lagging during songs?  

I perform a speed test and all seems very well, but when playing music that you might consider less popular I find it lags badly. Tonight it is especially bad.  

Seems to be fine for me playing Tidal for a couple of hours now - though didn't use it on the weekend when you had issues. 

Are you still having problems?

On 09/06/2020 at 2:35 PM, anandpkumar said:

Seems to be fine for me playing Tidal for a couple of hours now - though didn't use it on the weekend when you had issues. 

Are you still having problems?

Seems like my dedicated streaming pc was having trouble maintaining a wifi connection.  Feels like I have fixed it, but don't want to jinx myself. 

Tidal was less than stellar when it came to streaming stuff via my andoid phone, I'd sometimes experience stuttering of certain songs and have to skip to the next song. 

One of the main reasons I ponied up for Roon was playing Tidal via Roon from my Macbook was certainly more reliable, but I do get the occasional song skip with a 'Tidal is loading slowly' or something along those lines. It doesn't happen that often so I can live with it. It must be some issue with the server on this side of the world. 

Otherwise no complaints, using Optus 5G, all equipment connected wirelessly. 

If Tidal don't have a local server (IE. the content has to come from Europe or wherever they're located), then I can see there'd be issues with the streaming when international links are heavily used. So local area network speed, and local internet connection speed won't be the issue in that case.

24 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

If Tidal don't have a local server (IE. the content has to come from Europe or wherever they're located), then I can see there'd be issues with the streaming when international links are heavily used. So local area network speed, and local internet connection speed won't be the issue in that case.

Yes. 

Also, if they don't spend the money on their local servers to maintain required speeds/bandwidth then that can be a bottleneck as well.  If it's an issue of our market place being too small and not worth the extra investment, then this may never be resolved.  It's been going on for years now.

Over time we've seen Marc upgrade the SNA servers a few times just to maintain the speed of the site when factoring in growing website usage.  This comes at a cost.  Not everyone is willing to pay.

It was a lot worse in the beginning when Tidal first entered the market. It has improved a lot since then, but for what you pay, it should do a little better.

An oldie, but a goodie :)

54 minutes ago, nonsynchro said:

"A historical"

Thanks for playing.

18 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I believe “an” is in fact correct 

There's no need for grammar police on these forums. It's about the topic, not the language.

13 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

Tidal was less than stellar when it came to streaming stuff via my andoid phone, I'd sometimes experience stuttering of certain songs and have to skip to the next song. 

One of the main reasons I ponied up for Roon was playing Tidal via Roon from my Macbook was certainly more reliable, but I do get the occasional song skip with a 'Tidal is loading slowly' or something along those lines. It doesn't happen that often so I can live with it. It must be some issue with the server on this side of the world. 

Otherwise no complaints, using Optus 5G, all equipment connected wirelessly. 

So you prefer Tidal via Roon over direct from Tidal ??

10 minutes ago, JC. said:

So you prefer Tidal via Roon over direct from Tidal ??

100%. And the added bonus is when listening to MQA files via Roon my streamer does the first software unfold as it is now 'Roon Ready' after a firmware update. This doesn't happen when playing MQA files from Tidal on my Android phone.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

100%. And the added bonus is when listening to MQA files via Roon my streamer does the first software unfold as it is now 'Roon Ready' after a firmware update. This doesn't happen when playing MQA files from Tidal on my Android phone.

So your MacBook being the streamer/Roon core?  And assume you are now remotely controlling roon via your phone ?

Can you hear a big difference with the first unfold ?

Edited by JC.

5 minutes ago, JC. said:

So your MacBook being the streamer/Roon core?  And assume you are now remotely controlling roon via your phone ?

Can you hear a big difference with the first unfold ?

No, Mac Mini is the core, Macbook is the remote, for some reason I wasn't able to get Roon to detect the core from my phone. Must be some settings I need to look into but I haven't been bothered yet. And yes, the difference is definitely not subtle.

17 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

No, Mac Mini is the core, Macbook is the remote, for some reason I wasn't able to get Roon to detect the core from my phone. Must be some settings I need to look into but I haven't been bothered yet. And yes, the difference is definitely not subtle.

Thanks. I’ve been contemplating a Mac or Surface Pro, and moving to Tidal via Roon. Right now I’m Tidal on iPad straight into my dac/amp. Sounds great but I get no MQA unfold at all. Sounds like the move will be worth it...

13 hours ago, Marc said:

There's no need for grammar police on these forums. It's about the topic, not the language.

The grammar on this site is atrocious. Please provide a "sticky" on the main page to educate the members.

9 minutes ago, nonsynchro said:

The grammar on this site is atrocious. Please provide a "sticky" on the main page to educate the members.

I do hope you're joking.

Posted (edited)
On 11/06/2020 at 9:45 PM, silrod said:

Seems like my dedicated streaming pc was having trouble maintaining a wifi connection.  Feels like I have fixed it, but don't want to jinx myself. 

Can you test Tidal on a wired ethernet connection direct from your router to your pc? If that works fine you may need better wifi in your home.

Edited by Chigurh

Tidal lags for me through Roon, but on its own it is fine.