Bluesound Vault 2i feeding into NAD C658.

I am completely new to the whole streaming game (having previously believed that streaming audio was only one step away from devil worship) however find myself thoroughly enjoying Tidal via my NAD C658.

One thing I am still keen to achieve is storing my CD collection on a hard drive for organic streaming and when the NBN is suffering from intermittent death.

Prior to getting the C658, I had looked at the Bluesound Vault 2i and its capacity to hold my entire collection (a 7 week delay in availability of a Vault 2i coupled with my brochure coloured glasses resulted in the C658 being purchased at the rush) - quite a few discs I have are not available on Tidal or other services - Roger Glover’s Elements being a classic example.

I am considering getting a Vault 2i, loading it with my CD collection and feeding it into the C658 noting the common BlueOS eco system.

Am I overcooking the solution to my desire of storing my CD collection?

The simplest solution would be to plug an SSD with your CD's on it directly into the C658 - BlueOs will find the files and play them.  Just unplug and update the SSD when you buy a new CD and plug back in.  Easy

I've used BdPoweramp as the program to rip the cd's, it's simple to use and provides a lossless rip in FLAC format.

You can also go down the NAS route which is more costly but works equally as well with the added bonus of having more flexibility for home data storage and backups.  Synology NAS' work well with BlueOs but I'm sure other brands do as well.

A Vault 2i is not required and probably a but of a waste as you already have BlueOs incorporated into the C658. 

• Like 1

On 08/06/2020 at 11:30 AM, What Me? said:

You wont be able to plug the SSD into the C658

Not according to some reviews I've read.  

Other ports include USB type-A for connecting an external drive

The USB port is also where you put the measurment mic used for DIRAC.  

I have not tried a an SSD in mine yet as I have a NAS.

I ended up going with the Bluesound Vault 2i feeding the NAD C658 via coax.

It will give me a bit more flexibility down the road as I set up a second system.

One thing the whole streaming learning experience has done for me is that it has genuinely rekindled my interest in music and its reproduction - I have discovered old favourites and new sounds via Tidal and am wondering what took me so long..............quite possibly old age and stubbornness.......

• 1 month later...
On 19/06/2020 at 8:21 PM, Pigpen said:

I ended up going with the Bluesound Vault 2i feeding the NAD C658 via coax.

It will give me a bit more flexibility down the road as I set up a second system.

One thing the whole streaming learning experience has done for me is that it has genuinely rekindled my interest in music and its reproduction - I have discovered old favourites and new sounds via Tidal and am wondering what took me so long..............quite possibly old age and stubbornness.......

How has the Vault 2i been mate?

It has been a very pleasant surprise - thoroughly enjoying rediscovering music and enjoying even more new music I come across - have downloaded about 20 hi res albums.

when the NBN is suffering from suspected death, the Vault comes to the rescue!!

Pigpen.