Greetings from Melbourne

My name is Nik and I've quite recently rediscovered my interest in hifi and all the associated gear! Bought my first setup with my first summer school-holiday job earnings, aged 15. A Harman Kardon amp, Yamaha CD player and a par of JBL TLX 20. I was soo proud and loved every minute of this system. It might even still be sitting in my mom's garage... A bit over a year ago I bought a Denon (entry-level) AVR, a pair of Richter Harlequin V's, a Richter centre speaker and SVS SB-2000 sub. The idea was to add a pair of rear speakers later but now I'm having second thoughts. I really like the Harlequin V's but perhaps I should've gone for a 2-channel setup instead... Anyway, just a week or two ago I sold my Oppo PM-3 headphones and bought a pair of Focal Elear. I really enjoyed the PM-3's but the Elear's are just another level! Been using them with my trusted Dragonfly Red but the upgrade itch is getting to me... Been thinking of getting a second-hand Chord Mojo (which gives me a 'transportable' option) and if the amp part of it isn't up to the task (which I was told it isn't...(?)) I could get a Schiit Magni 3+ headphone amp without breaking the bank. Grateful for any comments/advice/sales offers for Mojo's!

Cheers // Nik

• Like 1

Hi Nik

Welcome aboard mate.  Great introduction. 

Lots of great forums and some very knowledgeable people to learn from here 

And the classified’s are a great place to pick up some bargains, but you will have to make a few posts before your given access to them. 

Enjoy 

Welcome Nik!

I’ve used the Mojo with with the PM-3 headphones for a couple of years now and love the combination. I had the mojo when I auditioned headphones and found the combination to my tastes. I haven’t heard it with Focal headphones but I suspect they’d work quite well together. 

Hi Nik72,

I for one totally agree that 2 channel is where it's at.

Also pleased to hear that you are having fun shopping around for some more power for your new Focals.. I'd maybe give Mojo a miss without a warranty, but I also love the lights changing colours with different bitrate, so I really dunno where I would end up there. It's so easy to buy things these days, anything can happen

Your PM-3's are happy in their new home, I like them a lot.

I've been chuckling about Tyll's comment on his wall of fame review:

"On the other hand, it's a bit like going to a party with the honor roll students—straight A's and across-the-board competence can feel a little boring." and consequently I have been amusing myself by throwing different sounds, recording quality, and/or EQ at them in an attempt to make them act out a little

I've also found an old balanced cable that makes them gently distort near-constantly, and that's a bit fun with sqelchy electronica and metal.

Keen to hear about where you land with your choice for new amplifier.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the Mojo! Bought a reasonably priced Chord Mojo on Gumtree from a very nice seller who promptly posted it to me. It strikes me that most interaction that I've had on Gumtree that has involved HiFi gear has been with really nice people that are not only after a rock-bottom bargain but also shows a great interest in what they are buying/selling. Anyway, loving the Mojo even though it doesn't support MQA on Tidal... I'm not going to open that can of worms whether it makes a noticeable difference or not but suffice to say that the Elear/Mojo combo sounds fantastic IMHO!

• Like 1

On 23/06/2020 at 7:55 PM, Nik72 said:

suffice to say that the Elear/Mojo combo sounds fantastic

So how is your Mojo going?

Still satisfied?

Have you see all it's colours yet?

It is a really attractive device, I know it doesn't really matter but I think it has a complementary aesthetic match with the Focal range

On 07/06/2020 at 7:12 PM, jt301 said:

ve used the Mojo with with the PM-3 headphones for a couple of years now and love the combination.

How does it fare exactly with the PM-3? Does it fatten up the sound a bit?

Do you listen to your pm-3 at moderate-to-high volume? What sort of music do you listen to?

I listen to wide range of music across jazz, blues, pop and rock genres. I rarely listen to music above moderate volumes.

I’m not sure that “fattening up the sound” would be the right description.  There’s certainly a musical warmth to the sound.  I find they have a strong bottom end, an open mid range with maybe a little less treble than some other headphones.  

• Like 1