Projector - non dedicated HT room/area treatment

Hi all

I would like some advice / feedback about my intended non-dedicated HT room/area light treatment plans below:

I've included some photos below of my current HT room/area and proposed Autex Quietspace ceiling acoustic panels. 

• The PJ is JVC x7900 which I've owned for 2 years. PJ is ceiling mounted. The screen is OzTheatre 150" 16:9. Subwoofer is SVS PB13-Ultra.

• Main usages are Foxtel, gaming (PC, Xbox, PS4, switch) and I love enjoying 4K movies using MadVR from PC. For MadVR, I run high lamp on PJ with max luminance set at 52 nits.

Goal of my room treatment is to keep the PJs contrast in the screen, as much as possible, and reduce light bounce (particularly off ceiling but also off right and left walls). Acoustic improvements would be a bonus.

The approx. room/area size is 5M deep by 4M across.  

This is my plan:

• I intend to run a 5M, 3-pass blackout curtain (black) on right hand side of room.

• To eliminate PJ light bounce on white ceiling, I will install in front of screen area approx. 10m2 of Autex Quietspace panel (25mm, nude black)

https://www.autexglobal.com/nz/acoustic-products/quietspace-panel/ (and see the final photo below) 

• build approx 2M nib wall on left front side of screen (wall to start approx 1M to left of bottom left edge of screen)

• install some selby 50x50cm wedge shape foam acoustic panels on inside of nib wall 

https://www.selby.com.au/system-tweaks/sound-panels/sound-insulation-wedge-500x500mm-acoustic-foam-panel-sa3500.html

• install some bass traps in corners of rear-right, front-right and front-left (nib wall) corners

https://www.selby.com.au/brands/dunlop/4x-selby-art-dunlop-foam-bass-traps-artbass4.html

• paint rear wall/s plus doors (behind seating) a mid-grey or other matt finish colour of compromise that has supreme WAF lol 

• paint all jarrah finish Krix floor speakers a matt black colour  

Any advice of feedback about for tips/improvements, material cost savings appreciated. 

Thanks all in advance !

1 - front screen.jpg

10 - centre screen re autex panels.jpg

5 - whole area from left side.jpg

2 - rear look.jpg

7 - LF looking back on angle.jpg

3 - stairs.jpg

14 - left corner for nib wall.jpg

6 - LF edge.jpg

15 - HT rack corner - another view.jpg

autex quietspace image.jpg

Edited by agrif78
  • Like 1

interesting thoughts and approach agri, non dedicated areas always create unique challenges and I see have most if not all covered.

some additional thoughts to consider.

not sure if will  ever end up selling the krix speakers ? painting them black won't help resale... one approach ... might be to cover them in black felt wrap ? you can buy this in sheets from spotlight...

the projector is a beauty and all the work considering on contrast will help even more than what seeing now.

the screen is quite large and will be pumping a huge volume of light in the room. so definitely things considering will help no end. 

what are your thoughts on the floor ? I found when we went to charcoal carpet it actually made quite a bit of difference vs lighter salmon coloured carpet we had prior...

other one is couch ? any thoughts on that ? even if some throws ? as it will be right in front of screen and likely throwing light back to kill contrast .... we have a light couch and its staying light coloured but depends how far want to go with this ?  

definitely good idea on the black curtain down the right...., which can always be pulled back :) 

you are definitely getting away with quite a bit here even given a non dedicated room good going :) 

• Like 1

Thanks Al, your feedback is greatly welcome :) I am looking to do what is necessary to achieve audio/visual heaven lol 

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

not sure if will  ever end up selling the krix speakers ? painting them black won't help resale... one approach ... might be to cover them in black felt wrap ? you can buy this in sheets from spotlight...

I think you may be right. I might sell one day, I mean I need to upgrade eventually. Is this the type of felt you mean?

https://www.spotlightstores.com/by-the-metre/arbee-90-cm-sticky-back-felt-fabric/BP80071217001

What would be best way to wrap the speakers? Hot glue gun to join the pieces of felt (i.e. no glue on jarrah?)

what are your thoughts on the floor ? I found when we went to charcoal carpet it actually made quite a bit of difference vs lighter salmon coloured carpet we had prior...

Yeah sorry! I forgot to mention that we are getting a large piece of dark coloured/design overlocked carpet (like a rug) to lay over the top of the flooring in whole viewing area, so essentially it will be very similar to a laid carpet.  

other one is couch ? any thoughts on that ? even if some throws ? as it will be right in front of screen and likely throwing light back to kill contrast .... we have a light couch and its staying light coloured but depends how far want to go with this ?  

Yeah, we inherited our 2 recliners from the former owners so they will need an upgrade at some stage. In the future, I would like to invest in maybe the black Row One cinema seats, or similar, maybe a 3-4 seater. 

However, in the meantime, as you say, some dark throws would be great interim measure. 

Thanks heaps for your comments, I really can't wait to get things into proper order ! I mean the x7900 is only my second PJ but its a real beaut and I'm sure there will be many more to come so it's worth it to me to make the viewing area as good as it possibly can be.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, agrif78 said:

I think you may be right. I might sell one day, I mean I need to upgrade eventually. Is this the type of felt you mean?

https://www.spotlightstores.com/by-the-metre/arbee-90-cm-sticky-back-felt-fabric/BP80071217001

What would be best way to wrap the speakers? Hot glue gun to join the pieces of felt (i.e. no glue on jarrah?)

Yeah it’s self adhesive, sticky backed so no hot glue needed at all. It just sticks on and can peel back off anytime. If say selling some time down the track :)

Awesome, thanks for confirming that's the right felt. Looks like I'll be visiting Spotlight tomorrow !

Do the felt pieces need to be cut/trimmed? And I'll probably buy a bit extra than I need just in case I make a few mistakes ! 

33 minutes ago, agrif78 said:

Awesome, thanks for confirming that's the right felt. Looks like I'll be visiting Spotlight tomorrow !

Do the felt pieces need to be cut/trimmed? And I'll probably buy a bit extra than I need just in case I make a few mistakes ! 

easy cut with a scissor...we have one wife daughter use for sewing and that does the job :) ive seen folk cover entire walls and everything with the stuff :D 

@betty boop I stopped past Spotlight and picked up some of the sticky back felt. My math was a little wrong so ended up with 10M lol Ah well, better to have too much than not enough !

The missus used her creative skills and the fronts, centre and sub are now covered with felt on all sides except for their rear. Has made a huge difference already. Screen has more contrast for certain.

Can't wait to roll out the rest of the proposed room treatments. Thanks so much for suggesting the felt ! 

Better get back to watching Avengers Endgame :) 

• Love 1