watching movie - speaker spike issue?? thoughts

Last night was watching Bloodshot when a loud and sudden short spike type noise came through the speakers. This only happened once (tunnel fight scene), played back that scene and did not reoccur

also noted that sometimes when paused and when unpausing there was a short loud noise (not quite the same as the "spike") before the soundtrack played normally - was able to replicate this sometimes (with volume lower so not to cause damage) Otherwise no issue

Disc was a brand new 4K disc

Yamaha AVR ((RX V685) is less than 12 months old

Richter Harlequin mains, Merlin rears as new, Dynaudio centre new, Dali Alteco heights as new, SVS SB 2000 as new (can't see it being a speaker issue I'm thinking its input from elsewhere/somehow).

Sony 4k player is not exactly old or new but the cheaper base model.

I doubt its a power surge issue as we have underground lines in the area, certainly no storms and the pause issue seems to rule this out.

everything (apart from ethernet) through a Thor power board.

Wasn't any louder than I've had before, around -20 (I've certainly had it louder)

checked the speaker cables / plugs etc they are all good (banana plugs and tight fitting) 

Only thing I can think off is the HHR was switched on under the Sony 4K player and might have added some heat to the disc player (that said this hasn't been an issue before) unsure if this would make any difference.

dodgy disc (does this happen?)

Any thoughts or anyone had something similar??

Nearby electrical equipment switching on/off?

Fridge, motor, similar? That's usually when I hear transient type noise in audio equipment.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, pwstereo said:

Nearby electrical equipment switching on/off?

Fridge, motor, similar? That's usually when I hear transient type noise in audio equipment.

no washing machine/dishwasher etc running - onlything going was the fridges and no effect previously - even from all the other appliances that weren't going at the time.

The first spike/crack was loud - to the point where it was of concern, kind of strange when it was doing it similar resuming from pause (albeit I had the volume lower at -26 at that point)

never happened before so thought I'd ask the brains trust here

• 3 weeks later...

11 minutes ago, hometheatrebugbitten said:

can a 4k disc (or blueray) be faulty??

Definitely. When a disc problem exceeds the ability of the error correction you might get an audible artifact.

• Like 1
On 25/06/2020 at 12:31 PM, hometheatrebugbitten said:

Interestingly enough this problem hasn't recoccured since

I haven't treid the same movie/disc but might do so this weekend

can a 4k disc (or blueray) be faulty??

Hdmi can be problematic for even the most reliable brands ; its worth reading the threads on avs forum for all the new 16ch pre pro's and their glitches with early firmware . This is because different brands view hdmi specifications differently so sometimes cracks and the like can threaten your speakers eg

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3098290-arcam-avr10-20-30-av40-pa240-410-720-a-58.html#post59853164

As well as considering the 5volt tmds trace in every hdmi cable and its potential to compromise a not so well designed port thats  a bit out of alignment ; theres the built to a price attitude :/

HDMI 1.0 (December 2002) was a very rudimentary, single-cable implementation of the technology – but it was revolutionary because it could carry both a 1080p high-definition video signal (with 8-bit color) and eight channels of 24-bit audio on a single cable with a maximum bandwidth of just under 5 Gbps. Believe it or not, many cable companies still use HDMI 1.0 for home cable box connections.

• 3 months later...

Just as a followup the issue has not occurred since (not even the slightest hint of it) playing any other disc or media

Put the Bloodshot disc back on keeping volumes reasonable to avoid any potential damage and there it is.

I'll take the disc back to JB and see if I can get a replacement.

cheers for all the replies/suggestions

i have had a similar issues this last week with a show on netflix,  but only through one particular speaker.  the left surround.  never had it any other time.  i stopped watching that particular serties