AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt

AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt

Price at the time of writing approx $500 AUD

USB DAC

Tec specs: https://www.audioquest.com/dacs/dragonfly/dragonfly-cobalt

Initial impressions.

There are many positive reviews of this third and top of the line incarnation of the DragonFly Cobalt USB DAC.

I used the DAC with all apple products including MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone, listening to standard red book, and hi-res FLAC files. Headphones PSB over ear M4Us (which also get great reviews - and I can attest to their sound quality).

In short, I wasn’t expecting to hear a night and day difference when using the DAC, however I was expecting a change, subtle or otherwise. I tested and listed for a number of hours over a two-day period and have to report no discernible difference listening to tracks with/without the DragonFly in place. A change in logo lights indicated the unit was working and recognising file variations.

Testing was completed at the same volume levels, which is important as some DACs including the Cobalt lift the noise level. This is sometimes confused with a DAC creating an improved sound experience.

In fact, when using the DAC and watching Netflix it sounded worse.

I contacted Audioquest - They said that the unit was working correctly, and listening was a very subjective experience.

I’ve had familiarity with quite a number of DACs and have always noticed variations, sometimes subtle, sometimes quite significant (Chord products).

I would strongly recommend that you try before you buy with this product, using your own equipment when testing. This may avoid disappointment given the high accolades its received and associated cost. On the other hand, perhaps could be more suitable to your kit?

If not, save the money and spend it on a better pair of headphones or if it’s a desk top solution, a better DAC.

Cheers

Edited by manbat
spelling error

• 3 weeks later...

Is there something in the Mac sound settings you have  missed. I have no experience with Apple products. I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and my Dragonfly Red sounds a lot better than with Windows 7 but I had to get into sound settings and make a change as per the instructions. Can't remember offhand what that was. I use the USB 3 port.

Hi,

I have had the black / red and cobalt dragonfly's - for me the cobalt was a nice step up over the red, the red a nice step up from the black.

I bought it to my parents a few weeks ago and my dad tried it with his HD600's on his new dell laptop - he was amazed at the difference it made compared to the sound from the internal hp output in the dell (admitedly not ideal for HD600's!)  It spun me out a little as I wasn't sure what he would notice much change at all.

I also bought a pair of Focal Elear headphones for him to try, which personally I think are a nice step up from the HD600, but he didn't seem to think so :) So I guess everyone hears stuff differently.

Cheers,

gav.

16 hours ago, Vinylear said:

I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and my Dragonfly Red sounds a lot better than with Windows 7 but I had to get into sound settings and make a change as per the instructions. Can't remember offhand what that was. I use the USB 3 port.

That's not relevant to Mac apparently, it's a driver installation that's required under the Windows OS.

Yeah I bought a black, then a red, then a Chord Mojo. Each one was a subtle but definite step up. But moving from a standard DAC to a nice one is a pretty big change, I suspect driver problem somewhere.

Matt

I agree with others, must be something wrong with set-up or the unit.  The difference with an iphone 8 as example using even moderate quality headphones is significant.  

I use the Dragonfly mainly for desktop audio out of my HP laptop into KEF LSX and sounds excellent to my ears.  Far, far superior to the standard DAC in the HP laptop, and that includes streaming services Netflix etc a vast improvement in sound quality...

• 3 months later...

On the bench for a Dragonfly Red ......but still contemplating it's worth given I connect my headphones mostly via Bluetooth AptxHD. How much more am I gaining with a wired DAC vs Bluetooth which mind you still sounds great. Mostly listen to Tidal or YT Music.