Hi All

I'm gonna start a sealed DIY sub this weekend and completely new to it... You guys talk way to much electricity for me, us civil engineers don't know crap about that.

Anyways I'm looking at either an NX1000 or NX3000D amp but I'm not getting how I will set it up with a sub in terms of output.

So my understanding is the amp wil do 2 x 900w at 4ohm, so would I just hook a single sub up to one output? And then if the sub is 400w RMS (example) how do I go about limiting the amp output to match the sub? Is that through the gain?

If I settle on a 400w rms sub would it be better to go the nx1000 which is 300x per channel at 4ohm?

Absolutely confused sorry...

Posted (edited)

You could just get the NX1000D and use it in bridge mode (the two channels combine to give one double power channel. It is stated to give 1000 W into 4 ohms in bridge mode.

The sub amp typically gets a line level output from your main stereo amp or AVR, you use a volume control on the sub amp to set the level relative to the main speakers so you have a balanced sound.

You adjust the crossover frequency so that the sub is providing output below where your main speakers are rolling off in bass response.

The DSP part of the D suffix amps should allow you to calibrate and tune the sub amp to match your main speakers and room.

It doesn't have to be rocket science, you can just start with the sub amp at minimum level and adjust it up till you have a balanced sound by ear. Look at your main speakers frequency response and adjust the sub crossover frequency to where the main speakers roll off as a starting point.

Play a variety of music to get a good idea if the sound is good, some recordings are deficient in bass, some are overdone and possibly boomy.

Edited by pwstereo

if the sub is rates to say even 600 rms though isn't it bad to have it linked to a 1000 w output on the amp?

8 minutes ago, Craggs2341 said:

if the sub is rates to say even 600 rms though isn't it bad to have it linked to a 1000 w output on the amp?

Not really, if you have things adjusted correctly it isn't going to put out more power than it takes to keep up with your main speakers. It's better to have power in reserve (headroom) for peaks than it is to have too little power. You don't say where the sub/amp is to be used, nor what the rest of the system is, or the room size it will be working in. So many variables, so it's hard to provide hard and fast information.

If it's in a domestic situation and it's for a stereo music system, then it will be fine. If it's in a big room for home theatre, then perhaps a second sub and use a channel each. The sound effects in movies can really demand a lot of power and cone excursions of a sub woofer, so perhaps in that situation you'd need to be cautious about damaging the sub woofer driver. But it'd be pretty loud by that stage.