In search of a DAC

Hi there,

Im in search of a new DAC, perhaps from the classifieds section, or new.

setup:

monitor audio gold 100 5G on stands
rel t9i

rega ellicit-R

schiit bifrost

musichall 1.5 TT

average interconnects and cables.

I don’t need it to be a network player, and I even wonder if I should keep that part seperate as streaming subscriptions, technology and interfaces change.

i listen to folk, ballad, acoustic, jazz. I like soundstage, clarity, detail and airy ness. Not too keen on over emphasised mids.

Budget $2k.

any thoughts/suggestions would be recommended!

The chord does come up a lot in my searches. I struggle to understand how they can cram all the components in that little tiny box that others put into a half or full size shell!

ADI2 seems to have some eye candy in the screen and preamp volume control which I don’t need.

Ill see if I can find a chord to listen to. 
A mate recommended a luxman da-06 but even second hand is probably beyond the budget.

Thanks.

42 minutes ago, tate6969 said:

The chord does come up a lot in my searches. I struggle to understand how they can cram all the components in that little tiny box that others put into a half or full size shell!

ADI2 seems to have some eye candy in the screen and preamp volume control which I don’t need.

Ill see if I can find a chord to listen to. 
A mate recommended a luxman da-06 but even second hand is probably beyond the budget.

Thanks.

As per another thread extolling it's virtues the other day - hard to beat a Qutest for under 3 - 4k.

Size in this case doesn't reflect the reality of how good it performs!

Have heard/owned the following......

Gieseler Klein III...(with Kraftwerk upgraded PSU ) 

Denafrips ARES II 

Topping D90  

Topping is super quiet.........very transparent and highly detailed......

Still evaluating as it only has around 10 hrs on it.

Gieseler is quite good too.........clear step up from my Oppo 205.

Denafrips is a very popular R2R which offers OS and NOS modes but just didn't quite

work for me.

All the above contenders are only around half your budget so you could look higher up

the chain if desired.........except for Topping (D90 is their Flagship)

Denafrips........Pontus

Gieseler............Fein II

Good Luck

Edited by JohnL

On 06/06/2020 at 5:33 PM, evil c said:

As per another thread extolling it's virtues the other day - hard to beat a Qutest for under 3 - 4k.

Size in this case doesn't reflect the reality of how good it performs!

Another qutest recommendation - hard to ignore!

The detail of the bifrost is great, but it seems to lack the soundstage and imaging I heard from the rega ellicit-R and MA G100 when I heard them in store. Both amp and speakers are recent purchases - the bifrost I’ve had for a while through a NAD c355bee to b&w 682 s1.

The  other difference to in store audition is I’m using a Mac as a source through USB, whereas in store was a CD through a rega player. My cables are also poorer.

I assume it’s the DAC, but open to suggestions. 

3 minutes ago, tate6969 said:

The gieseler Fien II sounds promising, though auditioning both might be hard..

Clay @Gieseler Audio may have a customer in Melbourne whom you can see.  Also, not sure whether he still offers a money back guarantee?  Gieseler DACs are popular on the forum because they perform well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tate6969 said:

The detail of the bifrost is great, but it seems to lack the soundstage and imaging I heard from the rega ellicit-R and MA G100 when I heard them in store.

Your room and speaker positioning can make a big difference to imaging. My current system sounded spectacular in my last room - imaging to die for - but very average in my current room. I'm very much in favour of a good dac (have an RME currently), but it may be worth repositioning your speakers etc, before spending the money (not that having a better dac will hurt). 

I have both a Gieseler Gross and Chord Qutest.

One or the other will be listed for sale soon. Like Max Max Beyond Thunderdome - two DACs enter, one DAC leaves...

Both excellent, but only need one for my desktop / study area. PM me if interested.

22 hours ago, tate6969 said:

I assume it’s the DAC, but open to suggestions. 

Be careful here. Don't assume it's going to sound the same at home as it does in store. Many of these store's listening rooms are set up well and have treatment everywhere. They are designed so that you get the best out of the equipment. 

I too have just started looking for the same as you. I just have a cheap Topping D10 running at the moment Schiit Modi Uber in the bedroom. I'm also thinking Qutest however the Gieseler has a good name too. I think I need to be convinced that spending this kind of coin on a dac is going to be worth it in sound quality. 

Stumbled through this process about 8months or so ago.  I have the OPPO 205 which utilises dual sabre premium dac chips but I also wanted something warmer/different to use with my streamer.

I looked at many different options in the $1000-$2000 range.  In the end  after (too much) researching and some auditioning I went the Denafrips Ares II and could not be happier.  I also heard the Pontus but could not roll the diminishing return dice as the differences were to me minor however YMMV pending what you want to hear from the DAC.

I cannot fault the ARES II  for the money and its provided me everyrhing I was wanting.  I now use both OPPO and Denafrips for different purposes/styles of music and am very content.

Do some scrolling through YouTube and the net for reviews on the ARES II or get in touch with @Dacman on the forums who is the local distributor for Denafrips and probably has the range for you to discuss with him.

Once you know roughly what you want to get from the DAC you can probably chunk the choices down, each company will hang its hat on something different, ie analytical detail, warmth (analog sounding), measurments  etc etc, and once you dial down what it is YOU are wanting you can then search deeper into that category.  Thats what I found anyway. 

Good luck with search and process,

• Love 1

Just now, blakey72 said:

I went to the Denafrips website and looked through. Then I clicked on the where to buy tag and there's a map of the world....But Australia's gone! Where did we go? Are we still here? ?

Yeah I did the same thing. Hahah. I bet NZ get that all the time. 

On paper, the topping D90 seems to perform well (audiosciencereview), and uses the latest AK4499 chip.

53 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Be careful here. Don't assume it's going to sound the same at home as it does in store. Many of these store's listening rooms are set up well and have treatment everywhere. They are designed so that you get the best out of the equipment. 

I too have just started looking for the same as you. I just have a cheap Topping D10 running at the moment Schiit Modi Uber in the bedroom. I'm also thinking Qutest however the Gieseler has a good name too. I think I need to be convinced that spending this kind of coin on a dac is going to be worth it in sound quality. 

Were you happy with the D10? Not interested in the D90?

haha you're right, I just looked.

I went to Singapore and then looked up partners and this link will help  https://www.vinshineaudio.com/contact-us

When I was looking I contacted them asking pricing and shipping etc they replied quickly and politely with all the information I wanted but did not ship to Australia and forwarded me to @Dacman looks after their distribution here. He has a website you can look up too.

9 minutes ago, tate6969 said:

Were you happy with the D10? Not interested in the D90?

Well the D90 is something I will look at. I find the D10 to be quite 'lively' though, not really bright but that side of neutral. I'm kind of wanting to perhaps go a little warmer. I've heard the Sabre dacs can be 'lively'.

Edited by blakey72

7 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

I went to Singapore and then looked up partners and this link will help  https://www.vinshineaudio.com/contact-us

When I was looking I contacted them asking pricing and shipping etc they replied quickly and politely with all the information I wanted but did not ship to Australia and forwarded me to @Dacman looks after their distribution here. He has a website you can look up too.

@alvin1118 no map of australia? we are here lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

1 minute ago, Dacman said:

@alvin1118 no map of australia? we are here lol

I was concerned for a bit there. Thanks for the verification ?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses. It’s been very useful.

I looked around at other options (but didnt take the chance to audition any at all). Time poor atm. I decided to keep it all British, and landed on the Qutest - it sounds amazing and I haven’t fiddled around with it much - just plugged it in left it.

I added a Rel T9i, which absolutely pumps, but I have it set at about 1/4 capacity for a nice low end fill. 

I also have some of Bill’s cables on the way to wrap it all up!

84F10C06-CEE4-4C90-8479-C422B1FA0B56.jpeg

Edited by tate6969
  • Like 1