$4000 to spend projector/screen

Hi

im looking at. spending $4000 for a projector, fixed screen,ceiling mount and HDMI cable.

The room size is 4.4 x 3.1 no natural white.

i want the projector to replace my old Samsung smart tv to watch movies,Netflix,plex.

I have the surround sound already sorted.

ive just been quoted for a Benq W2700’ and a Grandview 100” fixed screen including a cheapish mount and cable for $3600.

Before I order the above is there anything I’ve missed,also reviews of the Benq seem to say it can be quite noisey! We will be more or less sitting underneath the projector so a little concerned about this.

Thanks

noise is subjective but if a problem look for an epson ehtw 8300/9300.. 8400/9400. around 20 db vs the 27-29 of the benq.

or a ehtw7100 24db

for me i would look at the pj as the item of importance vs the screen, can always find a 2nd hand better quality screen down the track. cheaper than changing the pj.

Edited by hopefullguy

noise greatly related to size of the projector casing.... more air movement, larger fans, not as much noise due to size of casing.

have a look how big the cases are on the epson 8000/9000 series ...

look at the larger benq will see they have pretty large cases

I would agree with above ... if limited in budget look 2nd hand...

older epson or jvc both are quite quiet and have no problem lighting up a 100" screen...

Thanks for your comments.

ive just seen on gumtree a local is selling a Optoma UHD65 .

Only 435 hours.

No warranty left for $3200.

Not sure I know enough about a projector to buy something around that value with no warranty.

1 hour ago, Mpk200 said:

Thanks for your comments.

ive just seen on gumtree a local is selling a Optoma UHD65 .

Only 435 hours.

No warranty left for $3200.

Not sure I know enough about a projector to buy something around that value with no warranty.

you'd want to know you are good with rainbows and DLPs. the new gen 4k DLP I found atrocious for that and the last one i saw was indeed the optoma uhd65... is it a grey import since no warranty ? I wouldn't touch a grey import projector with lack of support.... and wouldn't pay $3200 for one other. rather spend on newer epson if spending that sort of cash and with its warranty...

The chap selling was a little vague when I was asking questions,so will give it a miss.

Is the Benq W2700 a good buy for $2499 ? 

The more I look and read the more it seems to be getting confusing.Reading about the Epson that’s in my budget says it’s not a true 4K projector.The ehtw 8300 are getting out of my budget.

I may have to put up with the noise from the Benq and I suppose it’s all subjective.

due to a lot of economic activity the 2nd hand market is a bit slow and when the few do come on they dont last too long, be patient. unfortunately adelaide is hardly the 2nd hand projector capitol.

new w2700 most likely will be ok but not at that price. again virus economy has effected prices.. wait if you can. hopefully as retailers want to start moving stock their will be some price competition.

just need to watch the usual places, here, gumtree, facebook marketplace, benq aust shop (refurbished), epson seconds website.

the mid range of epson might do for a new pj if the 8/9000 series are above budget.. 1080p ehtw6700/4k ehtw7100

Edited by hopefullguy

12 minutes ago, EZYHD said:

OP, what screen size and HDMI Fibre Optic cable length?

110 inch screen size and HDMI will be around the 7 meters.

Thanks

On 06/06/2020 at 1:38 PM, hopefullguy said:

That TW9300 is the one I’m considering... can’t decide whether to grab it or wait and see if someone sells a TW9400 for only a few more $$

like anything 2nd hand decide which you want and only look for that one. from my readings the 9400 is a noticeable step up from the 9300 if the 9300 is not calibrated.

possibly look thru the epson projector threads for Oz Theatres posts.. he seems up with the epsons performance.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/258893-new-epson-tw-9400/

18 minutes ago, hopefullguy said:

like anything 2nd hand decide which you want and only look for that one. from my readings the 9400 is a noticeable step up from the 9300 if the 9300 is not calibrated.

possibly look thru the epson projector threads for Oz Theatres posts.. he seems up with the epsons performance.

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/258893-new-epson-tw-9400/

I’ve just had a quote for the Epson EH-TW9400 for $4200 locally,and the option of going lower.I will be getting a phone call tomorrow.So hopefully I can have one this week.The more reviews I’ve seen on the tw9400 it looks very good and tick all the boxes.

9300 definitely needs calibration. It does lack full bandwidth hdmi as well. 

9400 definitely could use calibration too. Its ok out of box with some basics but definitely could benefit. 

not sure how much of an option calibration is though these days with covid. Also costs will be prohibitive for some ..,

just to clarify, am not saying dont get a 9300, a cheap 2nd hand 9300 might be a better option if can get one cheap enough and get calibrated and if can still end up cheaper than 9400. only problem with the 9300 is low band width hdmi so be limited with 4k 50/60 which there are only couple of discs but most streaming stuff off apple TV and such is 4k 50/60 and leaves out option for future incase material 4k 50/60 want to watch. 

Guest Genesis56

I've had two projectors - the latest being a Panasonic PT-AE4000 which I bought on a run out sale about 5 years ago.  The projector is 1080p.  I used a diy 100 inch CinemaScope screen until last year when I invested in a 100 inch CinemaScope which I bought directly from Oz Theatre Screens for $1740 delivered.   The screen was well worth the money.  I watch mainly blu rays but some Netflix.  16:9 content has black bars on the sides, but I have reduced their size by slightly zooming out.  CinemaScope movies have no black bars and look great.

My 1080p projector offers fantastic viewing - even compared to the quasi 4K projectors doing the rounds at the moment.  For your first projector, consider a higher quality pre-loved 1080p projector.  Install a new globe if you need to and save lots of money.  I will be waiting until genuine 4K projectors become affordable before I upgrade.

In saying that, Epson, BenQ and  JVC have some great options if you can afford it.  If you buy new, consider a projector with lens memory so you can change between CinemaScope and 16:9 at the press of a button.

8 hours ago, Genesis56 said:

I've had two projectors - the latest being a Panasonic PT-AE4000 which I bought on a run out sale about 5 years ago.  The projector is 1080p.  I used a diy 100 inch CinemaScope screen until last year when I invested in a 100 inch CinemaScope which I bought directly from Oz Theatre Screens for $1740 delivered.   The screen was well worth the money.  I watch mainly blu rays but some Netflix.  16:9 content has black bars on the sides, but I have reduced their size by slightly zooming out.  CinemaScope movies have no black bars and look great.

not surprised, the pana 4000 was a great projector ! and pretty much shared basis as epson 9000 series projectors 

8 hours ago, Genesis56 said:

My 1080p projector offers fantastic viewing - even compared to the quasi 4K projectors doing the rounds at the moment.  For your first projector, consider a higher quality pre-loved 1080p projector.  Install a new globe if you need to and save lots of money.  I will be waiting until genuine 4K projectors become affordable before I upgrade.

and indeed keeping in mind epson last e-shift 9000 series still share same dark chip etc as older 9000 series and your pana 4000, but yes what have in the pana is very good 1080p wise the e-shft models  of today really adding the e-shift for taking beyond 2k and for HDR and WCG for benefit with uhd formats :) 

On 11/06/2020 at 9:53 PM, TDX said:

@oztheatrecan you help?

Can, but no stock in the country until end of the month. I need a bunch of them but nothing for a few weeks it seems. That may change. sometimes they surprise us and arrive earlier.

• Like 1