55-60" Budget TV Recommendations

Asking for a friend who's looking for a new cheap TV. She was thinking about the Bauhn 58" QLED at Aldi for $699. It gets poor reviews and seems to have issues with reliability, milky image, poor smart features etc. I recommended to her the Hisense 58" S5 which is $795 which has a 3 year warranty. Any other suggestions?

2 minutes ago, blybo said:

Just be aware with Hisense that the menu system makes them impossible to use with Harmony remotes to switch multiple HDMI inputs.

Thanks, I think she would be using the OEM remote. I realize in this price range that it's impossible to find a perfect TV. I just want her to make a good choice.

Hi,

Another for a Hisense, had a picture problem in a 4 year old model, after taking a few pictures and a short movie, it was replaced within a week, with them doing it at home and setting it up, so after sales service is good, even got a bigger 4K version as replacement.

JJ

• Like 1

We were also looking at a Hisense - I think it was a series 8 possibly and for the money, (around $800 - $900 depending on where it was purchased), it seemed to represent excellent value for the coin.

The reviews were also very positive so this is the brand I would choose over every other one if she only has a small budget.

(We ended up with an LG 55"Oled and managed to get about $1500 knocked off the price. It was the last one in the store and had been returned the previous day by some princess who said,

"He didn't want to buy a mass produced TV if it was going to have manufacturing issues with it".

The "problem" was a minuscule graze on the underside of the TV cabinet stand which I had a very hard time seeing so I thought why let a great opportunity on a great TV pass you by. The plastic wrapping hadn't even been opening on the TV set itself or any of the accessories so I don't know what this jerk was thinking. His loss, our gain.  We even scored a 5 year extended warranty thrown into the deal. 

Hope she gets a good deal.

28 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Hate to say it,  it don’t trust anything that’s from Aldi and I make no apologies.......

Yes, the current Hisense is impressive. 

Definitely agree, especially on the Aldi stuff, but then again I am not even close to being a TV expert and it may be fine.

On 06/06/2020 at 4:45 PM, Addicted to music said:

Hate to say it,  it don’t trust anything that’s from Aldi and I make no apologies.......

Yes, the current Hisense is impressive. 

I will disagree on Aldi - but only in the beer and whisky department (and basil pesto). When you get a good deal there in October, they are king! Or queen!

Edited by Cloth Ears
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cloth Ears said:

I will disagree on Aldi - but only in the beer and whisky department (and basil pesto). When you get a good deal there in October, they are king! Or queen!

Agree, can’t beat some of the groceries there, haven’t touch the alcohol depot so I don’t know and won’t comment   But the stuff that’s on special for tools and electronics are really stuff that some distributors can get rid off and doesn’t move...  Definitely do not buy any of the batteries, especially the rechargeable,  biggest disappointment.

• Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 8:44 AM, Cloth Ears said:

and where else can you duck into a single shop and pick up milk, bread, a TV, some pants, a welder, some European wine, and some baked beans?