Hi all

I'm new to the audio world and with our current "package" sub failing and me in need of a project I wanted to have a go at building one. 

I was considering the Dayton 12 inch Ulrimax driver and am hoping to find some basic sealed and ported designs I might be able to just copy. I'm no expert and the thought of "tuning" a box is a bit daunting. 

Similarly what amp would people reccomend? I was looking at something like the NX3000. 

9 hours ago, Craggs2341 said:

I was considering the Dayton 12 inch Ulrimax driver and am hoping to find some basic sealed and ported designs I might be able to just copy. I'm no expert and the thought of "tuning" a box is a bit daunting. 

From the parts-express website....

Cabinet recommendations:
• Sealed 2.0 cubic ft. (net internal) with 1 lbs. of Acousta-Stuf polyfill, f3 of 36 Hz with a 0.707 Qtc alignment
• Vented 4.0 cubic ft. (net internal, not including driver or port volume) tuned to 20 Hz with a 10" wide by 1.5" high slot port that is 25" long, which yields an f3 of 19 Hz

9 hours ago, Craggs2341 said:

Similarly what amp would people reccomend? I was looking at something like the NX3000. 

Yes, that will work well.

You might consider the "D" version (with DSP), which will let you program highpass / lowpass filters and other EQ into the amplifier.

Unless you want to play very very loud .... then my recommendation would be to build this cabinet.

https://www.parts-express.com/denovo-audio-knock-down-mdf-20-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-12-ultimax-subwoo--300-7081

... and then EQ the subwoofer to be flat in your room.

You'll notice it says somewhere that the woofer (begins to) rolls off at 36Hz.....  you room will lift this up (more bass extension in room) .... and you can lift the bass further with EQ .... at the expense of reducing the overall maximum SPL (which most people don't need/want).

The sealed cabinet (vs the vented cabinet) has a number of advantages in simplicity, performance, and limiting the driver over-excursion ..... with the drawback being lower max SPL (but still going super loud), and more power needed vs SPL (but you have that covered with the NX3000 amplifier).

So I'm still reading and as I said very new to the DIY approach, with the NX3000 amp how would I set it up to run a single sub at say 500w? 

My understanding is it can do 900 across two channels at 4ohm, would I just use the gain to limit the output to 500w in that instance?

I'm reading up but im a civil engineer, electrical was never my strong point...

13 hours ago, Craggs2341 said:

My understanding is it can do 900 across two channels at 4ohm, would I just use the gain to limit the output to 500w in that instance?

Yes, just turn th volume knob down..... so that when the input signal is the maximum you will ever send it..... that the subwoofer SPL is what you want it to be.

If you are still considering the Ultimax then my recommendation is that the Alpine R subs are at least their equal and available readily in Aus for about half the price.

For the same money you can get an Alpine X and these are far superior, or for less demanding applications the Alpine S is stellar value.

I have used all three Alpine series in bass reflex enclosures and I cannot fault them for home use.

If you're brave the Alpine R and S series also work great in tapped horns.

Good luck!