Denon Announces 2021 8K-Ready AV Receiver Range

More details inc Usa prices

For all four models one of the HDMI input and at least one output will be equipped to handle 40 Gbps of bandwidth...

One 40Gb input?  What if you have a Xbox and a PS5? Every time you want to switch console you have to change the connection?  

Edited by Steam

6 minutes ago, Avinit said:

Still no explicit mention of hdmi 2.1?

It is . Certain features of hdmi 2.1 are backwards compatible with hdmi2.0a/b Avinit ; but only true hdmi 2.1 is capable of higher res 8k passthrough and all of these other features like 

8K/60Hz and4K/120Hz pass through and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) to reduce frame tearing and improve overall precision. Get a jump on the competition with Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Quick Frame Transport (QFT)

Only of consequence though for next gen gaming as their is no 8k video source for the single input . Of much more importance is dts x pro which is a big plus for dts over those studios [like disney] whose  dolby atmos uhd discs that have been pinned to 7.1.4 B) 

23 minutes ago, Steam said:

One 40Gb input?  What if you have a Xbox and a PS5? Every time you want to switch console you have to change the connection?  

Thats the trouble Steam ; if Samsung gets their 8k  streaming going soon..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/02/27/samsung-and-bt-deliver-live-8k-sport-broadcastand-promise-full-8k-service-soon/#7377a56451d3

All the circuitry including upscaling to 8k internally and handling the obsolete analogue video transcoding inputs has to handle much higher 40mbps bandwidths ; thats been amortised for all the 18gbps models so something has to give for the price .. bit like the extra amps needed to match the channel processing ; the chassis size has maybe been amortised too..

No coincidence the specs dont say what chipset does the upscaling ; old upper level models used too say reon or hqv :)

I don’t even have 4K yet but I think the imminent arrival of the next gen consoles plus new 8k streaming services etc may make this generation with ONE 8k input date real fast.  Makes me think buying a superseeded model at a low price is the way to go in the short term.

Edited by Steam
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Steam said:

I don’t even have 4K yet but I think the imminent arrival of the next gen consoles plus new 8k streaming services etc may make this generation with ONE 8k input date real fast.  Makes me think buying a superseeded model at a low price is the way to go in the short term.

I dont know what you have now. but my suggestion would be to do just that. you can buy anything going back to about 2016... so some bargains to be had for those that dont feel they MUST have latest and greatest. 

better for this kind of thing to settle down... 2.1 is a mine field in any case. its just a feature set... NOTHING is mandatory that i can see so could be one feature in something and it will be called 2.1 it might not be a feature particularly usefull. with regards 8k...we dont actually fully utilise 4k now... and we want 8k ? 

am all for bleeding edge. have had DVD, HD-DVD/blu-ray and uhd from day one... but this doesn't make a lot of sense here.... and a complete mess if anything....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

Unimpressive  build quality compared to the glory years of the AVP/ POA series

100% agreee..... I have had all the Denon Flagship AVP/AVC models....the current stuff is VERY ordinary build wise...

Look at the quality of components and construction  used in the AVP...

Deno AVP.png

Edited by wooferocau
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, wooferocau said:

100% agreee..... I have had all the Denon Flagship AVP/AVC models....the current stuff is VERY ordinary build wise...

Look at the quality of components and construction  used in the AVP...

A different price range at a different time in the market.  Now AVRs and related products are largely competing with wireless systems and sound bars in the mass market.  Not to mention that these units list at US$2500 for the X6700H while the review I found from 2008 lists the AVP-A1HDCI at US$7,500 before you look at a matching amplifier.  Commodity pricing means commodity build quality, with Denon being very far from the worst.  Improved miniaturisation and DSP capabilities make up some but not all of the difference.  The reality is, just as with my much loved Pioneer Kuro plasma, that being top of the market doesn't mean an economic product or good market share and sustainability.

I've been very happy with my current AVR-4311 and an upgrade to something like the X3700H or X4700H is about due and they look like fair products for the price.  I'd have liked something to have come from the rumours of looking into DIRAC to replace Auddysey, but the new phone app and frequency cut-off is still a step up from my current setup.  In my opinion, from a value for money perspective and as a lover of maintaining a separate AVR/amps in my rack, these new models look pretty good.  Doubly so if I can avoid paying full retail.  Sadly for many, the high end is harder to justify and becoming increasingly niche.  Honestly, even with the current line-up, with an X4700H I'd be paying for quite a lot of analog input and processing I'll never use with my current setup.  

45 minutes ago, Wembley said:

A different price range at a different time in the market.  Now AVRs and related products are largely competing with wireless systems and sound bars in the mass market.  Not to mention that these units list at US$2500 for the X6700H while the review I found from 2008 lists the AVP-A1HDCI at US$7,500 before you look at a matching amplifier.  Commodity pricing means commodity build quality, with Denon being very far from the worst.  Improved miniaturisation and DSP capabilities make up some but not all of the difference.  The reality is, just as with my much loved Pioneer Kuro plasma, that being top of the market doesn't mean an economic product or good market share and sustainability.

hi webmbley as an owner a denon AVP for 8 years seeing all updates we had keeping it a flagship there's been nothing like it since from Denon and marantz. indeed the denon was worth quite a fortune then...but heck you tend to get a lot of tech for money these days and a marantz 8805 isn't that much cheaper these days.... not sure what happened in pricing there. the denon was a true grand daddy too. likes of which not seen from any makers since true balanced HUGE discrete dac boards. amazing analog stages etc etc. indeed commodities do get commodity pricing and to certain extent think unfair comparing denons AVR range here with A series stuff the AVP was in. we havent seen an A series since and may not ever see again. who knows but yes you are right if there was a A series again that is probably what worth comparing with. I replaced my denon with marantz av8802, I dont think it or 8805 are truly flagship like the denon amp was but am happy they do still achieve an excellent result and still to this day 5 years later still does all can throw at it. and what i love is just how rock solid it is in this world where you can pay mega bucks and get flaky ! bug ridden and treated as a beta tester ! 

I love my kuro too... seeing the problems of OLED id just as much prefer my euro being fixed if it can than considering the throw away tellies we seem to have these days...

50 minutes ago, Wembley said:

I've been very happy with my current AVR-4311 and an upgrade to something like the X3700H or X4700H is about due and they look like fair products for the price.  I'd have liked something to have come from the rumours of looking into DIRAC to replace Auddysey, but the new phone app and frequency cut-off is still a step up from my current setup.  In my opinion, from a value for money perspective and as a lover of maintaining a separate AVR/amps in my rack, these new models look pretty good.  Doubly so if I can avoid paying full retail.  Sadly for many, the high end is harder to justify and becoming increasingly niche.  Honestly, even with the current line-up, with an X4700H I'd be paying for quite a lot of analog input and processing I'll never use with my current setup.  

you'll definitely see benefits upgrading from 4311 and I wouldn't step back to 3 series denon. stick to 4 series if can. keep in mind denon re arranged their series so really from 4311 they were really 3 series product and if going from 4308 if wanted something similar needed to look at 5 series :)

re dirac and audyssey, I wouldn't get so caught in all that. audyssey does a fine job with things and in usability to this day hard to beat. 

I still have the imperial Death Star. My Denon Dvda1ud is still going strong with a brilliant image.My poaa1hd is still the powerhouse of amps and my Avpa1hd is still here, not working of course. But having said that, it sounded way better than that 8802a maranta that I had. Much grander sound stage and way more aggressive when it had to be.For movies it was the king.The 8802 was in NO way built like it. Atmos or not, the Avpa1 kicked serious butt and I say this coming from having it in a big dedicated room, not a lounge room. Set up to its full potential the Avpa1 was simply one of the best I have owned hands down for the money and features. It’s amazing how tech is moving so quickly now as I think projectors have made more progress than pre pros and amps of late.I would still buy the x models though, but for the lounge room.

• Like 1

I had both  Denon 8500 and the Marantz 8805.....

I finally located and purchased a Mint Denon AVP-A1HDCI to which i have been after for some time.  The AVP Denon is a true "Flagship" in respect to build and Audio quality .............. it  not only destroys the current Marantz and Denon offerings in build but also  in sound quality....only lacking in the latest audio codecs.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, wooferocau said:

I had both  Denon 8500 and the Marantz 8805.....

I finally located and purchased a Mint Denon AVP-A1HDCI to which i have been after for some time.  The AVP Denon is a true "Flagship" in respect to build and Audio quality .............. it  not only destroys the current Marantz and Denon offerings in build but also  in sound quality....only lacking in the latest audio codecs.

Great to hear from someone who has experienced it first hand. Current popular name/big selling AVRs and processors just don't perform.

4 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Great to hear from someone who has experienced it first hand. Current popular name/big selling AVRs and processors just don't perform.

having owned flagship as others here and used for many years in fact i had mine since release till superseded and that was 8-10 year later. i can say the current processors do perform, certainly the flagships can't do 3D audio or pass 4k uhd. but otherwise the old flagships still have authority , dynamics, detail and such newer processors can't match. but however and this is the kicker...3D audio does add an envelopment processing that old flagships just can't match either.... and no 4k uhd capability makes for a pita....so as much as like the flagships I'm fine with moving on....

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, betty boop said:

having owned flagship as others here and used for many years in fact i had mine since release till superseded and that was 8-10 year later. i can say the current processors do perform, certainly the flagships can't do 3D audio or pass 4k uhd. but otherwise the old flagships still have authority , dynamics, detail and such newer processors can't match. but however and this is the kicker...3D audio does add an envelopment processing that old flagships just can't match either.... and no 4k uhd capability makes for a pita....so as much as like the flagships I'm fine with moving on....

Would be better if they kept the qualities that the older models had and just added to it with new tech though right?

Current from companies like Anthem, Trinnov, McIntosh etc certainly do perform.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Ah yes, but moving on to what? That’s the question.?Another flagship?.To be honest, after owning the Avp and the like, I am viewing other machines as tin boxes. That might be a failure of mine, but after owning the Avp I can’t help it. I was so disappointed with the Marantz especially for what I paid and the trouble I had with it.But anyway,it’s all in the past now so time to move on.I put it down to experience.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Would be better if they kept the qualities that the older models had and just added to it with new tech though right?

Current from companies like Anthem, Trinnov, McIntosh etc certainly do perform.

that would only happen if they did another A series flagship which they chose not to do.

Personally I dont think any of the ones listed there are anyways in league of the level the AVP was at. I see many processors  coming to market these days are glorified PCs in a fancy box. and change a pretty penny for them. anthem certainly not even on same planet let alone solar system as the avp. anthem are not even where their D2V once was ! Mcintosh just reboxed rebranded denon and marantz with a few touches to differentiate and been for years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

that would only happen if they did another A series flagship which they chose not to do.

Personally I dont think any of the ones listed there are anyways in league of the level the AVP was at. I see many processors  coming to market these days are glorified PCs in a fancy box. and change a pretty penny for them. anthem certainly not even on same planet let alone solar system. anthem are not even where their D2V once was ! Mcintosh just rebooted rebranded denon and marantz and been for years. 

But it would be better right? They are expensive enough these days. They should at the very least sound as good as products from over a decade ago with added features.

Maybe not I haven't been lucky enough to hear one. Have heard the older Pioneer units from that era and they are great too.

I listened to the D2V, AVM 60, Primare SP33 aswell as the McIntosh daily and all smashed the 8802A. Maybe the 8805 has caught up?
Just my experience

7 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Maybe not I haven't been lucky enough to hear one. Have heard the older Pioneer units from that era and they are great too.

only thing came close to the AVP was the classe ssp800 and the denon was easily a better machine. 

8 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

I listened to the D2V, AVM 60, Primare SP33 aswell as the McIntosh daily and all smashed the 8802A. Maybe the 8805 has caught up?
Just my experience

welcome to your experience however it doesnt match mine.. the 8805 is not worth the money it goes for I dont think. 

9 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

But it would be better right? They are expensive enough these days. They should at the very least sound as good as products from over a decade ago with added features.

money has never been a good guide to quality. unless for those that believe unless something costs a certain amount it can't be any good.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

Ah yes, but moving on to what?

the maranta is pretty good in my opinion. watching force awakens it sound pretty amazing ! other options ? i suggested the nad master series to woofer... he seems impressed by it.. arcam is another one I reckon worth considering.... arcam have always done pretty decent processors... but cost wise a quantum up and not sure where at in the bugs and stability. something the denon and marantz have always been rock solid with from day one...

1 minute ago, betty boop said:

only thing came close to the AVP was the classe ssp800 and the denon was easily a better machine. 

welcome to your experience however it doesnt match mine.. the 8805 is not worth the money it goes for I dont think. 

money has never been a good guide to quality. unless for those that believe unless something costs a certain amount it can't be any good.

Nice. Great to have experience here with older gear

Not surprising it isn't. That's only on the daily. Plenty of others like Rotel, Krell, Theta that I and others, thought were miles better too.

Not the point I was making. The point is the 8802 and 8805 are expensive units like you just said they aren't worth the asking price and still they don't perform to even their standards from over a decade ago.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Not the point I was making. The point is the 8802 and 8805 are expensive units like you just said they aren't worth the asking price and still they don't perform to even their standards from over a decade ago.

the 8802 I do think was worth asking price. the 8805 where its ended up in pricing I dont think so... id buy an older 8802a anyday over it. as with marantz 7 series processors also very good for the money. worth their asking. these are actually very good things have heard in a few systems and over a few iterations...

rotel krell theet etc are all now has beens.... as nice as were no longer unfortunately any more contenders....

edit...anyways I think will leave there, no we aren't talking some flagship processors here or anything. but i suspect the denons being announced here probably well worth their asking.

I wouldn't buy one myself (happy with what i have) but am sure be pretty neat for many :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, betty boop said:

the maranta is pretty good in my opinion. watching force awakens it sound pretty amazing ! other options ? i suggested the nad master series to woofer... he seems impressed by it.. arcam is another one I reckon worth considering.... arcam have always done pretty decent processors... but cost wise a quantum up and not sure where at in the bugs and stability. something the denon and marantz have always been rock solid with from day one...

They say the RMC 1 is good.I have never owned one though.Its also up there in price.

4 minutes ago, drummerboy01 said:

They say the RMC 1 is good.I have never owned one though.Its also up there in price.

last i read it was bug ridden and flaky...amazing 5 years since uhd spec release of you'd think companies could bring out something that worked rather than treating owners as beta testers.

• Like 1