Flattening Service in Sydney

Hi all,

Does anyone knows a place in Sydney who provides flattening service for warped records?

Would be very thankfull if some of you could advise.

Cheers,

Art

Edited by ArtCor

28 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Ooh that’s a nice sleeve, really suits you.

Beautiful grooves   
Nice, you look good in black

Maybe the OP is simply dyslexic, Trev (rather than careless!) - in which case he won't 'get' your post.  ?

Andy

But in all seriousness to the OP

The record stores that offer this service in Melbourne charge $8-10 per record. Depending on the number of records you need to flatten, it might be worth either investing in one of these or asking nicely in the Pay it Forward forum if someone local would loan you theirs:

https://vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html

Edited by ericd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ericd said:

But in all seriousness to the OP

The record stores that offer this service in Melbourne charge $8-10 per record. Depending on the number of records you need to flatten, it might be worth either investing in one of these or asking nicely in the Pay it Forward forum if someone local would loan you theirs:

https://vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html

I would like to think that those charging $8-$10 for flattening are using one of the Furutech, AFI or Orb units, rather than a VinylFlat. For every positive experience with the VF, there are many who claim otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

I would like to think that those charging $8-$10 for flattening are using one of the Furutech, AFI or Orb units, rather than a VinylFlat. For every positive experience with the VF, there are many who claim otherwise.

Agreed. I initially tried something similar to a vinyl flat and didn't have very good results.  Proper setup is the best way to go.

Surprised you haven't added one to your arsenal yet @Hydrology ?

They do warn you (At least on the ORB) to not use the "Aggressive" setting, but I've found it works best and have never suffered any damage. 

Highly recommended for anybody with a serious commitment to vinyl. You'd be surprised how bad a warp they can fix.

100 years in the future who knows, maybe we'll have scratch fixing machines.

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, TDK said:

Agreed. I initially tried something similar to a vinyl flat and didn't have very good results.  Proper setup is the best way to go.

Surprised you haven't added one to your arsenal yet @Hydrology ?

Nothing left after the recent upgrades mate!

Distributor is woeful (as you well know) so I might make a play direct to Orb about distribution...

Edited by Hydrology

Just now, Hydrology said:

Nothing left after the recent upgrades mate!

This is what happens when you waste you money on reel to reel machines. I think you need to sell it. In fact I think I know somebody who may be interested?

2 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Distributor is woeful (as you well know) so I might make a play direct to Orb about distribution...

Perth Vinyl needs a manufacturer's supplied demo unit I think.

20 minutes ago, TDK said:

This is what happens when you waste you money on reel to reel machines. I think you need to sell it. In fact I think I know somebody who may be interested?

Over my dead body!!! ?

On 04/06/2020 at 5:36 PM, Hydrology said:

For every positive experience with the VF, there are many who claim otherwise.

I think this is a simplified off the cuff comment. I have used a VF to flatten over 100 records successfully, and only failed on one which was probably not salvageable anyway.

• Like 1

Thank you to all of you and your comments. I will try those at Surry Hills. 

Hopofully it will not fail. I also rised a claim through Post Office as I think packaging was inadiquate. Maybe it will not bring any positive result, but trying better than not.

Had a couple of records flattened by Hat Hill Gallery. 

He did a great job. He also offers ultrasonic cleaning.

One of my records had a 8.5mm warp and the other 10mm, both came out flat. Very happy indeed.

IMG_20200610_073344.thumb.jpg.eaaed5b9adff3a69cc083da2e9b65c52.jpg

IMG_20200610_072451.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Interface said:

Yep, it looks like you're the professional?.

Was that able to be flattened or was it passed the point of no return?

I'm yet to find out.

I'm about to buy some glass cutting boards and do the warm-them-in-the-oven-for-pressing-later trick, first, to see if I can get the giant kinks out.

Then I might go see the Pros.

@candyflip

When I was having mine flattened, the owner (Viken) said that if the warp is caused by heat it may not be successful probably because the grooves are affected in a negative manner, maybe closed up or if it's coloured vinyl.

Good luck with the glass cutting boards. I was going to use that system but I only had two to do so I just paid the dollars for convenience.

• Like 1