Power Conditioner - AliExpress.

• Administrator

Aside from not being Australian Compliant and the potential insurance issues, and the terrible universal points which never seem to fit properly, it's essentially one of these with a voltage and current display - https://www.catch.com.au/product/thor-b8-8-way-smartfilter-8-surge-protection-power-board-3684446/?offer_id=20475898&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4tUMqQHZdZv9I4inM9K76DUfxkQOohNOUsm--qX6PFVOrpfxjqKd7saAlq_EALw_wcB

My advice is to avoid it. Stick with an approved Australian equivalent (as above) or step up to a quality Australian approved design if you want genuine conditioning (IsoTek, PS Audio etc).

• Like 2

I would take a wide berth from it. Whilst there are some good buys to be had on aliexpress, I've had people with issues from all sorts of devices not even doing what they're supposed to do, such as usb cables that don't even meet specification and causing regular data drop outs (despite being expensive and fancy looking), to linear power supplies that failed to deliver the current they were allegedly supposed to do. Worst case scenario, who knows just what this power conditioner actually does and if it's actually electrically dangerous.

I've bought heaps of linear power supplies with no problems whatsoever the main thing to be aware is often they claim 240v when in fact it's 220v . I also have an old Consonance power board with 4 Aus outlets and four U.S.  no problems again . I would ask heaps of questions regarding the voltage. I must admit nearly all my gear has U.S plugs so the universal adaptor would be a concern. Also the postage $80 Aus would turn me off a bit . 

@JOH1975   Try a Bada LB-3300. I've been using 2 in different systems for quite a few years and they are fantastic for the money. Even work well with Big, Monster Power Amps. The PS Audio Dectet is pretty good, but getting up in $$$. The Dectet is a bit smoother, refined whereas the Bada is more dynamic, so I use the Dectet on Source's, Pre's & the Bada on Power Amps.

Some great advise. I'd like to get the PS audio stuff but just a bit much for me. Maybe i should just save up and wait.. I think my system is deserving....

Sonus Faber Liuto
Project RPM5 Carbon
Quasimodo amp
Pioneer stable platter CD

Ipad (Deezer) with cambridge audio DAC

12 hours ago, JOH1975 said:

Some great advise. I'd like to get the PS audio stuff but just a bit much for me. Maybe i should just save up and wait.. I think my system is deserving....

Sonus Faber Liuto
Project RPM5 Carbon
Quasimodo amp

The Bada I mentioned is affordable and as I mentioned pretty damn god for the $$$.

• Administrator

Personally speaking, anything at all with universal sockets I would avoid. Aside from not being legal for use in Australia (and insurance implications), in my experience those universal sockets don't make a good solid connection with AU plugs. It only takes a little arc to fry what's connected on the other end, trip circuit breakers, and blow fuses.

I would rather run no power conditioning than introduce potential complications.

• Like 4

no offence but anything that going to involve mains power, last thing i would want is something from aliexpress ! indeed i too would rather no power conditioning than run something like that and include in the power to my gear or have used in my home. 

• Like 2

Can’t disagree@Marc.  I contacted the seller and enquired about AS compliance.  He told me it exceeded this, and only industrial equipment was supplied with certification of IP56. 
A couple of problems there.  I’m a former sparky, and know that IP56 is a dust and water rating, not a general AS certification.  Also, you might well exceed the specifications, but without that little sticker, it means zilch. 
I did thank him for his time....

Thanks but no thanks..

• Like 3

After a life changing event a number of years ago, I had to move into my parents place.  My room was reconfigured, and while I was at it some mates still in the trade did some electrical work.  I had 6 double GPO’s mounted together.  A comment was made along the lines of, what have you got against power boards, haha. 

• Haha 1

• Administrator
56 minutes ago, Flash said:

Also, you might well exceed the specifications, but without that little sticker, it means zilch. 

Nailed it. This is a problem with MANY of the appliances and accessories being sold in Australia in our industry at the moment.

I won't name names for obvious reasons, but some distributors are satisfied with that information, and are selling here based on that.

Other distributors, and for fairness I won't mention them either, go through a rigorous and expensive process to have each and every component or model actually certified. So next time you see someone complaining that some distributors mark up their products here more than the USD>AUD straight conversion, remember that this process forms part of the cost of doing business in Australia.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marc said:

So next time you see someone complaining that some distributors mark up their products here more than the USD>AUD straight conversion, remember that this process forms part of the cost of doing business in Australia.

Indeed.

Many people do not realise the costs of being a distributor in Australia.

Sure, some of them make a decent living, but there seems to be some sort of prevailing issue with some people who feel that they should run a charity business for audiophiles who only look at the US or UK price.

As an old saying goes, the only way to make a small fortune being an audio distributor in Australia is to commence business with a large one.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 4

On 04/06/2020 at 4:30 AM, JOH1975 said:

Hi all. 

just wondering if anyone has tried one of these in their system?

AU $80.36 | 2019 NEW model 2 road switch 3000W 15A AC power outlet Advanced filter Audio protect filter
https://a.aliexpress.com/_Bf86454T

Very nice. It sells at half this price domestically. Aliexpress doesn't ship this product to Australia, though.

6 hours ago, Marc said:

So next time you see someone complaining that some distributors mark up their products here more than the USD>AUD straight conversion, remember that this process forms part of the cost of doing business in Australia.

Aah, Marc ... I suggest the people who complain have NFI about the cost of doing any bizniz.  :lol:

Andy

• Like 2

On 05/06/2020 at 9:48 AM, JOH1975 said:

Sonus Faber Liuto
Project RPM5 Carbon
Quasimodo amp

Better option - audition a power conditioner in your system and if you're not prone to the power of suggestion you'll discover that it does nothing and then you won't even need one!

3 hours ago, Ittaku said:

Better option - audition a power conditioner in your system and if you're not prone to the power of suggestion you'll discover that it does nothing and then you won't even need one!

Unless you live in one of the 'unfortunate' areas of Melbourne where power is typically >250v, Con.  Then, say, a Thor 10 can do good work.

Andy