blakey72

Use of a 2.5mm Balanced output jack?

I'm looking at the Fiio BTR5 Bluetooth headamp/dac and it says it has two outputs. A single-ended/unbalanced 3.5mm Jack (80mW at 32ohms) and a balanced 2.5mm jack (240mW at 32ohms). The 3.5mm jack is obviously a headphone jack, what would you use the 2.5mm jack for? I'm confused????? Do you also use that for headphones?

The 2.5mm jack is for headphones and it is a balanced port. What that means, the left and Right channels are completely separate, with their own +, - and ground. As you can see, the balanced port is 3X the power of the single entry 3.5mm one. make sure you only use one at once or you will end up damaging your unit. To use the 2.5mm balanced port you need some IEM or headphones that can run in balanced mode. 

Right. So if I wanted to plug this dac into a an integrated amp would I use the balanced or unbalanced?

Unbalanced should work OK. Balanced would worth the trouble if the amplifier is also balanced. 

So if I used the balanced 2.5mm output would I have to go into the balanced XLR input of the amp?

To get the best of your balanced output, yes. 2.5mm to 2 x XLR balanced. But you can also go 2.5mm to 2 X RCA or even 2.5mm to 3.5mm TRS (single ended). It all depends on your amp available inputs.

Posted (edited)
On 03/06/2020 at 10:08 PM, sabloke said:

To get the best of your balanced output, yes. 2.5mm to 2 x XLR balanced. But you can also go 2.5mm to 2 X RCA or even 2.5mm to 3.5mm TRS (single ended). It all depends on your amp available inputs.

Not balanced to RCA! RCA or TRS is unbalanced, ground + signal, even though there are two of them! You'll be shorting the negative to ground and likely damage the preamp.

Edited by navlrac
Missed a point in the response

Absolutely correct. Balanced output to balanced input only.

Make no difference, just run the 3.5 to RCA.

The port exists to give a higher power option for headphones. I use it, it's good.