Favourite Winter hot drink?

I'd like to hear what you like.     

One of my favourites is Rum & Bonox with butter.   One teaspoon of Bonox (beef tea), one of butter, one nip of rum and hot water and salt to taste.   Different rums can be used - such as spiced rum, for something different.

17 minutes ago, GregWormald said:

Italian style hot chocolate (rich, dark, thick) with a splash of Grand Marnier.

Had to google Italian style hot choclate.  mmmm yum but not a diet thing :)    Sounds great

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

One teaspoon of Bonox (beef tea), one of butter, one nip of rum and hot water and salt to taste. 

I've used a similar mixture to clean rust off old tools  ?

• Haha 2
5 minutes ago, pwstereo said:

I've used a similar mixture to clean rust off old tools  ?

A doubter?  Just try it on a cold Winter's morning sometime :) 

• Haha 1

I became a big fan of irish coffee after having one nightly for a few months while working in northern ireland many years ago.      They're a regular at our place.

I also used to like a similar drink but haven't made it in years .   A galliano hot shot.      Galliano, + a short of strong coffee + cream,    layered in a double shot glass and drunk in one hit.  

Just now, manchu said:

I became a big fan of irish coffee after having one nightly for a few months while working in northern ireland many years ago.      They're a regular at our place.

I also used to like a similar drink but haven't made it in years .   A galliano hot shot.      Galliano, + a short of strong coffee + cream,    layered in a double shot glass and drunk in one hit.  

That sounds good too.   I am going to have fun trying a few of these.

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Do you make it nice and layered, or just add whisky to a normal coffee? :) 

Normally I have just the Whisky :)

• Like 1

Double espresso, black withh sugar and a splash of rum or bourbon. Whichever spirit takes my fancy at the time, but currently more often it's Elijah Craig Small batch. hic..

5 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Double espresso, black withh sugar and a splash of rum or bourbon. Whichever spirit takes my fancy at the time, but currently more often it's Elijah Craig Small batch. hic..

simple but effective :) 

Just now, aussievintage said:

simple but effective :) 

The EC at 94proof is very effective LOL

• 10 months later...

It’s already getting nippy again at night, single digits for the last few nights ?

On weekends I would make Glühwein, which works really well, but I’m avoiding alcohol during the week now. My first winter warmer this year has therefore been a nice hot miso soup. This is surprisingly fast and easy to do from scratch, and very delicious and warming.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Steffen said:

On weekends I would make Glühwein

Would love to hear your recipe.

Too often in my experience, it's a gourmet cask of red with a few spices etc to enhance its true essence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steffen said:

hot miso soup. This is surprisingly fast and easy to do from scratch, and very delicious and warming.

Totally agree with this.

Also curious about your take on it. Our local "Alternative Japanese Restaurant" recently served up "miso soup" as just a spoonful of that pale babysh!t brown miso in tepid water and charged .... (way too much).

I like to fry up some onions, ginger, garlic first, add a few healthy veges to lower acidity and add nutrients/flavour, and drop in the miso-warm water mix last, careful to avoid boiling. Doesn't last long as a body fuel, but certainly warming.

• Like 1
On 03/06/2020 at 11:07 AM, aussievintage said:

Do you make it nice and layered, or just add whisky to a normal coffee? :) 

I just add whisky to an espresso.

10 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Would love to hear your recipe.

Too often in my experience, it's a gourmet cask of red with a few spices etc to enhance its true essence.

The way we make it is, we first infuse a bit of water with spices (cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves), lemon peel and slices of orange, by boiling them for 10 minutes or so. Then we add the wine (I prefer Cab-Sav, but Pinot Noir would also work), and heat up to about 75 degrees. Adjust the taste with sugar and lemon juice.

There are many alternative methods about all across northern Europe, including some using white wine.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, BioBrian said:

Totally agree with this.

Also curious about your take on it. Our local "Alternative Japanese Restaurant" recently served up "miso soup" as just a spoonful of that pale babysh!t brown miso in tepid water and charged .... (way too much).

I like to fry up some onions, ginger, garlic first, add a few healthy veges to lower acidity and add nutrients/flavour, and drop in the miso-warm water mix last, careful to avoid boiling. Doesn't last long as a body fuel, but certainly warming.

Are you sure they’re just using water? Normally you would prepare a stock (dashi) from dried kelp and bonito flakes. That will give the soup a nice base to go with the miso taste. We keep it fairly simple, and just add wakame seaweed and tofu, before stirring in the miso paste (white, “baby poo”, red, spicy, or whichever you prefer – we normally use white). Then just finely sliced spring onions to top it off.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Steffen said:

The way we make it is, we first infuse a bit of water with spices (cinnamon sticks, star anise and cloves), lemon peel and slices of orange, by boiling them for 10 minutes or so. Then we add the wine (I prefer Cab-Sav, but Pinot Noir would also work), and heat up to about 75 degrees. Adjust the taste with sugar and lemon juice.

That feels good, just reading it. Especially the star anise - I'll try this asap. I like that it's respectful of the wine.

First proper frost this morning (would have finally killed off the zucchinis - damn), so a good time to start with the winter warmers.

8 minutes ago, Steffen said:

Are you sure they’re just using water?

Pretty sure it was just white miso and hot tap water. No spring onions, no seaweeds, tofu, ramen, nothing. They seemed to be practicing the universal law of "we do what we can get away with". They deserve credit for even trying Japanese in such a town, but I reckon they must've got the cleaner to throw that one together.

Pity - it's not difficult - but it's about flavour and fragrance, and a few flecks of green makes all the difference to the appearance as well. A good one is just the best on a freezing day.

• Like 1

If it's a cold night or there's the possibility of a cold developing, then we tend to go 'hot lime'. One lime off the tree (or cube from the fridge), a brew (tea bag of any description), teaspoon of honey (Manuka or other) and enough cheap liquor so you can taste it, but not too much. You always add the booze last, as you might have to rewarm it up in the microwave - especially if you have to use the lime cube.

So, regular tea, peppermint, turmeric teas are regular ones.

Honey is either Manuka or local raw honey.

Booze could be cheap single or blended whisky, Morgan rum (spiced or unspiced), black bottle brandy or the like.

Goes real nice and keeps the sniffles away.

17 hours ago, Steffen said:

Glühwein

:sick: I tried this once in Northern Italy in their winter. My colleagues who were familiar with it loved it. I couldn't stand it so went double scotch. They have no idea how to pour a shot in the hotel I stayed in so it became my go to drink for the remainder of my travels. 5 euros for a latte glass 2/3rds full. Made for cheap nights and good sleep whilst jet lagged.