New home theatre pre wiring help 5.1.4 vs 7.1.2

Hi I am building new house theatre is 6m long and 4m wide. As per attached plan there will be front, Center, sub, 1 ceiling pair for atmos 1 side surrounds pair and 1 rear surround pairs for 7.1.2 . (all surrounds at 1.5m height).
I am seeking option whether to turn rear surrounds into rear ceiling atmos to 5.1.4 as some people suggests is better setup than 7.1.2, and will be less clutter in the wall,. However I am not sure if that suits my room, Alternatively this can be mounted as rear presence speaker but at what height?
If I am going 5.1.4 what should be the distance of side surround from rear wall/corner?
Thank

IMG_20200602_090322.jpg

hmm you are sitting on the long wall so your seating will be close to the wall.. therefore forget 7.1.2, you need space behind you if using "rear" speakers.

follow the 5.1.4 dolby guide imo

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speaker-setup-guides/5.1.4-overhead-speaker-setup-guide.html

• Like 1

You say that the room is 6 long x 4 wide?

but your floor plan shows seating and setup at 4 long x 6wide?

i would run the room configuration with the 6m being the length (not the width)!

if you ever upgrade to a projector the extra length will be handy 

4 m is a good width (my room about 3.5 )and would love that extra .5 but still works a treat

Others thoughts?

Hi wife won't allow, as it is not ideal to rotate the seat as will block the window, and I can't move the window to other wall as it looks out to aircon unit and fence, not planning for multiple row, and limit the "multiple purpose" use of the room... 

Shame you can't rotate.

My room is 5.2 by 8 with tv etc against 5.2 wall, no window.

I went with 5.1.4 as rear wall is a long way back from seating.

With couch nearly on wall having 4 atmos will be difficult, ideally they should be in front and behind you, yours would be licated clise to wall which would create unwanted reflections.

Mine isn't much of a cinema as such, its also our lounge but it is work in progress, paint lighting to come and no WAF

20200530_163547.jpg

9 minutes ago, vae said:

Any other thoughts? What if the rear speaker up high wall mount as presence speakers? But I suppose the atmos speakers will not match. 

nope won't work....

forget the rear speakers as been said.... with wall to back of wall there really isn't room for the rears to work better off with 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 at a stretch if can get some room between you and rear wall

Okay I think best to go for 5.1.4, and get some room from wall to couch, in this case would it best to place the surround at corner pointing to listening position? The dolby guide is somewhat confusing with a 2 diagram showing slightly different surround position 

1 hour ago, vae said:

Hi wife won't allow, as it is not ideal to rotate the seat as will block the window, and I can't move the window to other wall as it looks out to aircon unit and fence, not planning for multiple row, and limit the "multiple purpose" use of the room... 

My wife left!

now I have room running the right way??

cheers Muriwai

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vae said:

Okay I think best to go for 5.1.4, and get some room from wall to couch, in this case would it best to place the surround at corner pointing to listening position? The dolby guide is somewhat confusing with a 2 diagram showing slightly different surround position 

in what way ? what 2 diagrams are you looking at ? can you post links/pics ? to those ? 

Hi,

please see pictures in attachment. Picture 1 and Picture 2 is from current Dolby website.  the top down view has rear surround in front of rear atmos while the side view has rear surround at the back. 

The picture 3 is from AVS forum and maybe different version of dolby guide having the surround in the corner and rear atmos much closer to the listening position. Considering my couch is closer to wall I am wondering if picture 3 setup is better (surround at corner and atmos closer to couch better) ,  or stick to the current guide in picture 1 where there is more separation in atmos front and rear speakers. ( I can put rear atmos 300mm from rear wall)

would stay away from 7.1.4 if possible,  as already suggested previous reply as it seems to not add much, adds clutter to wall and wife won't like it..

atmos1.JPG

atmos2.JPG

atmos3.JPG

I dont see as a contradiction....  id go with the dolby guide, not sure where AVS one has come from,

ps the sides are not in the corner... they are also not at the rear. the angle is 110-120 in horizontal plane... so a very tight angle sides need to be in 5.1 setup for base surrounds.

the vertical side section shows speakers in front and rear I think just for illustration... so know front or rear. it doesn't mean the side surrounds are in the rear. still have to apply the angles in horizontal plane. they are just to show the in ceiling speakers and angles in vertical plane for those ....

main problem is your couch that sits so close to back wall and why i would suggest not going much more than 5.1.2

your side surroudns and overhears in side/rear are literally going to be on top of each other and pretty close to rear wall.

• Like 2

+1 on shifting the couch

wiring up for 7 channels  doesn’t mean you use them initially 

fixing them is costly when done in isolation so since you’re doing some work, my suggestion was do add the points first then decide later

It’s a very decent space ? 

Thanks all for feedback.  This is my attempt to follow this version of Dolby guide for 5.1.4 (relocated speaker location in blue color).  i remove the speaker from side wall as they do not fit into right angle at all.

homet1.JPG

homet2.JPG