Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Best 1L tea flask ?

in this age of picnicking rather than relying on cafes. our 1L arcosteel seems to have fallen apart... the top valve cup etc. looking for an alternative... something more teapot like ? rather than the thin slender nature of the arcosteel ? 

what are folks thoughts ? anything they use found good in quality that doesn't leak and fall apart ? 

They all fall apart sooner or later,  the seals don’t last and they eventually leak...

My son bought these for us and they seem OK.

https://www.t2tea.com/en/au/teawares/flasks-1/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5YOGkbPb6QIV23wrCh0mJQV-EAAYASAAEgIHi_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dsif 

1 hour ago, Addicted to music said:

They all fall apart sooner or later,  the seals don’t last and they eventually leak...

My son bought these for us and they seem OK.

https://www.t2tea.com/en/au/teawares/flasks-1/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5YOGkbPb6QIV23wrCh0mJQV-EAAYASAAEgIHi_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.dsif 

yeah i was a bit appalled with the arco steel, they used to have a good rep. this thing is nasty ! 

can't see a 1L tea flask in the T2 range there ?

seems to be a few japanese brands tiger ? 

given how bad the arcosteel was thinking this time just get this ikea one :D can't be any worse ! 

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/underlaetta-vacuum-flask-black-50360231/

Thermos?  Possibly the same as your Arcosteel.  I’ve had one for about 3 years without issue, but it’s not like it gets daily use.  Not sure if they suit purpose, but this comes with a 5 year warranty -

https://www.thermos.com/genuine-thermos-brand-vacuum-insulated-stainless-steel-beverage-bottle-1-0-l-stainless-steel-black.html

6 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Thermos?  Possibly the same as your Arcosteel.  I’ve had one for about 3 years without issue, but it’s not like it gets daily use.  Not sure if they suit purpose, but this comes with a 5 year warranty -

https://www.thermos.com/genuine-thermos-brand-vacuum-insulated-stainless-steel-beverage-bottle-1-0-l-stainless-steel-black.html

thanks and am sure its very good kaynin, thermos has a good rep. though only thing just looking for something more fatter than taller. one of the problems with the arcosteel as its quite thin slender, tends to fall over real easy. thinking this time we go for a bit more of a fatter shorter thing than thin skinny ? if can get what mean... ie more tea pot style :D 

In our neck of the woods, @Ooogh is the expert on tea flasks.  He's rarely seen in the wild without one and some in his collection are probably prehistoric.  He does tend to leave them behind quite frequently, though, probably some sort of strategic manouvre - like marking a trail if you need to retreat.

Hopefully, he'll chime in with all the advice you need, Al.  His opinion is worthy of respect.

11 minutes ago, Tony M said:

In our neck of the woods, @Ooogh is the expert on tea flasks.  He's rarely seen in the wild without one and some in his collection are probably prehistoric.  He does tend to leave them behind quite frequently, though, probably some sort of strategic manouvre - like marking a trail if you need to retreat.

Hopefully, he'll chime in with all the advice you need, Al.  His opinion is worthy of respect.

oh thank you TonyM look forward to ooogh's thoughts... would relish something of some quality ! in this world of disposable items ! 

Stanley is my go to brand. Should be available at your local Big W . My non stop every day unit is only 700ml, but I carry two! All SS construction ( Stainless Steel, not Solid State!). It is however just a tube with a screw on top and cup. Best thing, they last 6+ years in daily use before the silicon O ring on the stopper finally gives up the ghost. Yours for $26!!! 

If you want to get all flash you can splash out on the 1lt variety that comes looking like a Russian Modernists sculpture with a funky pre industrial era handle. The extra bling will dent the account to the tune of 80 big ones. 

However, the mighty Thermos is only for the long journey. What you really need is a thermo cup. Buy a big bugger and it is hot tea for hours. Avoid cheap ones with plastic insides. They taste terrible, and can never take milk or coffee due to retained taste contamination. The only one with plastic innards that is any good is the Stanley with screw top lid. Indestructible. Otherwise it is a long hunt for a full SS version like my present daily driver.

I know you are searching for something with a little more pizazz but sometimes it is difficult to improve on the original. We all call Thermos after the original which is still available and still cheap , 1.2lt , full SS with a modern new black finish. $50 at Big W. Anaconda will charge you an extra $20 for the same thing. However, Snowys Outdoor have them on special now for $34.90, bargain!

09D6CCC4-01E8-4E8D-B6A7-C456276A3348.jpeg

E55D84F0-D267-4052-ABBD-BD8216C52250.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

thanks oogh for all the suggestions.... any thoughts on a more teapot like thing :D  trying to get away from the long and skinny :) 

and do appreciate your thoughts... I might get that thermos king thing regardless, just for myself for the all day road trips often end up on .... would keep me covered for tea all day long ...

I must look into this.  Not for tea, though - I've never understood that stuff.

I'm a self-confessed coffee adict - only 2 mugs a day but as necessary as oxygen.  Mrs M has been known to take the phone away from me and tell the (too early) caller "He can't make sense yet until he's had his coffee".

Occasional medical procedures that require fasting are my nemesis.  I'm sure the diagnosis of dementia has been ascribed to me by clinicians/medical technicians that were unaware of my caffeine-deprived status.  It wasn't so much dementia as the absolute fact that my brain before having its morning coffee is essentially non-functional.  And I prefer not to do mornings anyway.

Alcohol (especially red wine) performs essentially the same function in the evening - ie keeping me coherent................................................or the opposite as required. 

So, all this discussion of those nifty tea flasks has me considering the virtues of beverage-of-choice portability.

Might cut to the chase and get a hip-flask instead!:thumb:

9 hours ago, Tony M said:

I must look into this.  Not for tea, though - I've never understood that stuff.

I'm a self-confessed coffee adict - only 2 mugs a day but as necessary as oxygen.  Mrs M has been known to take the phone away from me and tell the (too early) caller "He can't make sense yet until he's had his coffee".

Occasional medical procedures that require fasting are my nemesis.  I'm sure the diagnosis of dementia has been ascribed to me by clinicians/medical technicians that were unaware of my caffeine-deprived status.  It wasn't so much dementia as the absolute fact that my brain before having its morning coffee is essentially non-functional.  And I prefer not to do mornings anyway.

Alcohol (especially red wine) performs essentially the same function in the evening - ie keeping me coherent................................................or the opposite as required. 

So, all this discussion of those nifty tea flasks has me considering the virtues of beverage-of-choice portability.

Might cut to the chase and get a hip-flask instead!:thumb:

ha - i piked spa little hip flask from our local arts / photography centre earlier last year... so got that covered :D might come in handy one day.... 

I think what am actually chasing is perhaps a carafe ? 

https://cookinglife.eu/alfi-thermos-flask-gusto-evo-sapphire-blue-1-l/

I_3561259100_001_3.png

for picnics this probably more suitable... more stable more teapot style and rather than the thin skinny variety that tend to want to be flopping over all over place...

it appears alfi is a german brand thermos has bought and hence inclusion in the range. I might one can check out in the shops....

ok happened to be in ikea during the week and grab below,

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/metallisk-vacuum-flask-stainless-steel-30360227/

metallisk-vacuum-flask__0713343_PE729449

only $29 all stainless steel. and seemed perfect for our needs. and we gave a run today for a sunset picnic IMG_1178.jpeg

1.2L so plenty enough for size. kept the tea steaming hot. and was very welcome after the bike ride there in the freezing cold ! love the pouring spout on the thing, nice beefy handle. also not tall skinny but nicely balanced, with wider base so doesnt topple like thin skinny flasks normally do. 

All stainless design so safe to carry chucked in a bag. also its a very hygienic design. Clean stopper ...no complicated valve assembly with seals and plastic bits and stuff that fail. very easy to clean as well with nice wide mouth up top. 

Very pleased with this ... can see this going on a few picnics for us :)  

Hmmmm.......................haven't been to IKEA for a while.................

6 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Hmmmm.......................haven't been to IKEA for a while.................

was suprised of their range of flasks :D they did have a black plastic one we were thinking of initially ...but that was hopeless couldn't even open. another one had a fidly lid with a bit of a pouring mechanism... but this one is great. simple well made and does the job :)