Bill’s boutique solid copper RCA interconnect 1m

I prefer the locking RCA plugs. Really secure and never had issues with them, whereas I have had some intermittent issues with non locking when they’re not a good fit. 
these look great ... a reason to update. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Gabehcuod said:

I feel real dumb right now.
Next time mention that ?

I had the same issue for a few minutes with these RCAs... push, head-scratch, push... Doh Moment!

Wind out, put on, tighten... locked on tight.

I'm really happy with Bills cables... I have 3x pairs and I am about to order some more.

Can't fault any of them...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winterspace said:

I made the exact mistake as you with a cable I bought from bill.  Almost broke off the RCA connector on my pi dac.

When I finally,  almost by accident, worked out loosening the plug enable them to slip on easily was much relieved.

Had a few other cables that I had great difficulty with that now easily fitted.

You learn something every day :)

Me too. Bought my first decent pair of inter connects recently and wondered why they were nigh on impossible to plug in. After looking at the manufacturer’s website, I found out lol. Locking plugs which I’d never heard of!

• Like 1

Locking plugs are quite tricky. Apparently the best way is not to loosen them, plug in, then screw tight. Done that way after a few months in situ they can be very very difficult to remove. Best to experiment with varying degrees of 'screw in' until you find the right balance for a nice fit to your socket. 

Look forward to seeing the silver 'bullet' Bill :)

Got "caught" with this same cable locking issue about 10 years ago... I had never heard of locking RCA connectors prior to receiving the RCA custom cable from someone other than Bill. Nearly wrecked my RCA terminals trying to connect them!!! Eventually I realised that you had to unscrew the outer metal casing to enable them to be plugged/unplugged.

Would strongly recommend to anyone making cables utilising these connectors that they place A BIG SIGN ON THE CABLE SAYING THAT YOU HAVE TO UNSCREW THE CASING TO PLUG/UNPLUG THE CABLE!!!!!

Sorry, but it's not obvious to the uninitiated.

• Like 4

What do you all think of the article below? Any truth in it?

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/locking-rca-connectors-the-proper-way-to-use-them/

I've been trying both methods and prefer the loosening, slide on and then tightening approach. It's a real PIA the other way around trying to get the right fit.

• Like 1

over the years i have used both,i agree that the locking rca plugs are a PITA especially if you don't  have full access to the rear of the component,i also don't think they make any sonic improvement  over any decent standard type rca,i have never had a normal type rca plug fall out for being too loose,i do have a digital cable fitted with locking rca plugs and get a bit anxious when I have to change things around as I don't have easy access to the rear of my rack,like others have said above they work ok as long as you know how to use them and you can access them properly.

• Like 1

I usually loosen the lock half way just to insert the plug, then I keep loosing and push the plug in until the it's all the way in,  at that point I secure the lock (finger tight), I can't really see how different tension in the lock can affect the sound, it's more a safety feature to avoid stiff cables to detach and maintain a permanent strong contact point.. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kurof said:

I usually loosen the lock half way just to insert the plug, then I keep loosing and push the plug in until the it's all the way in,  at that point I secure the lock (finger tight), I can't really see how different tension in the lock can affect the sound, it's more a safety feature to avoid stiff cables to detach and maintain a permanent strong contact point.. 

that’s exactly the way it should be done ?

Edited by Bill125812
  • Like 3