Sony to release PS5 details 4th June

1 hour ago, Smoovie said:

Can't wait!

Shame they couldn't release it during lockdown here in the UK.

Isn't lockdown the time when a new playstation would be of most use and generate the most sales ??

19 hours ago, Martykt said:

Isn't lockdown the time when a new playstation would be of most use and generate the most sales ??

Undoubtably ;  the logistics of transport with covid19 must be very frustrating to Sony ; air freight and customs for a start B|

Must say the traditional form factor of the ps5 is a plus over the xbox cube ; especially with its built in UHD disc drive . Hope it has auto switching for dolby vision unlike sonys stand alone UHD players..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, petetherock said:

I'm hoping it will come with HDMI 2.1 and the ability to bitstream so the receivers can do Atmos.. 

That too ;HDMI 2.1 VRR is just the ticket for frame rates that actually match :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced a new VR helmet as well, since they apparently stopped manufacturing the current V2 VR helmet, and have had it bundled at a reduced price worldwide.

The 1 hour presentation will be at 6.00 am on Friday AEST

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/05/29/youre-invited-a-look-at-the-future-of-gaming-on-playstation-5/

Edited by Tweaky

Sony has thrown a spanner in the works for game developers.

It updated the PS4 developers kit in late April to include a new check , and that's that the developer has to make sure that their game would run on the PS5's hardware.

Problem is not all developers as yet have a PS5 development kit......Sony plays dirty tricks by withholding development kits from developers they find are making a game that might be major competition  to a Sony owned game that might be in production....I know that for a fact.

This happened just as a game I've been involved with since 2015 was going for testing by Sony to get it's Gold Pass, so it could be sold at the PStore.

It should have been released by now, but obviously now it has to be worked on again.

This is going to knock a lot of small game development houses for a 6, and might actually cause a few to close, as what with the CV-19 crap that's gone down, now they have the added cost of getting a PS5 development kit, and the to have coders test it to make sure it runs properly.

Apparently the PS5 hardware is so fast that some games optimized for the PS4 won't run on the PS5, the software just can't process as fast as the hardware.

Edited by Tweaky
  • Thanks 1

Sony have always been a 'bit' questionable, look what they did to Philips in the collaboration on the CD format, stalled release because Philips developed their 14bit chip first, so Sony pushed for 16bit to turn the table on Philips.

• Like 2

No need to guess why.

I hope a small indie game maker comes out with a game something along the lines of ''Hunt for Trump - the Great Inflamer'', bonus points for shooting his phone out of his hands while he's on Twitter, or frying him under a Sun lamp.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tweaky said:

No need to guess why.

I hope a small indie game maker comes out with a game something along the lines of ''Hunt for Trump - the Great Inflamer'', bonus points for shooting his phone out of his hands while he's on Twitter, or frying him under a Sun lamp.

And exposing the wrongful arrest of persons legitimately protesting, in accordance with their first amendment rights. ... but lets see if they can make it backward compatible with all prior playstation model games.... and as Playstation 3 did briefly, enable installation of a Linux operating system.  

I missed the presentation, and the video now only shows from half way in if you go to view it now, showing some of the games being released for it.

1817350473_PS5white.jpg.7b830337eca7ee5dfccfd803b65ae24c.jpg1714830683_PS5Black.jpg.7a4843036d43093f820c208f5c38246e.jpg

It looks better than I thought it was going to, and hopefully it can sit horizontally.

Interesting that there will be two versions, one with disc drive and one without.

That does make me wonder if Sony intend to make PS5 games download only, and the disc drive is only for backward compatibility with PS4 games, if that's the case then Sony is going to have a monopoly on games for the console, they already charge on average 30% more on the PStore than a disc version of a new release, if there ends up being no disc versions of PS5 games I can see the price of new games for the PS5 being exorbitant.

If they do go down the road where you can only buy games from the PStore, which leaves no competition, I can see gamers saying goodbye to the Playstation and moving on to PC

Also the fact that although you can attach a USB HD to the PS5, you can only use it to play back PS4 games.

When you view the technical briefing Sony gave in March, it seems it might be feasible for PS5 games to actually be smaller than PS4 ones, if that's true or not I don't know.

What I do know is with only around 850GB storage as standard, that could mean you could only store around 7 or 8 games on it given the current size of current major games.

I know they intend to allow you to upgrade the PS5 by adding a additional compatible SSD, but due to how specialized this SSD needs to be I can see it ending up costing a lot, plus there might be a limitation on just how big it can be.

This all becomes a bit of a problem, you get a fast gaming machine, but with limited capacity even after a upgrade......well I can't see 4TB M2 SSD's suitable for the PS5 either being readily available, or being cost effective.

I don't think people are going to want to delete and reinstall games because of this limitation, I know I don't, that's why I have a 8TB USB HD attached to my PS4 Pro, and it's half full already.

Guess we shall see what happens.

There were some nice games shown that are coming for the PS5

Horizon Forbidden West is obviously the one most would have been wetting their lips at seeing the trailer.

A new Oddworld game - Oddworld Soulstorm looks amazing.so does the new Ratchet & Clank game - Rift Apart.

There seems to be a new genre of games coming which seemed sort of similar to Death Stranding in weirdness, games like Returnal and Pragmata ....not sure they would be games I would get from the brief trailer I saw TBH.

There were other games show, but I think they are basically reworked PS4 games.

Edited by Tweaky

33 minutes ago, Kdjjdk Will said:

Dual HDMI out?

Ide say no chance considering how scarce hdmi 2.1 chipsets are [even for big brands like denon whose new avrs only have 1] ; ps5 spec-

Video Out Support of 4K 120Hz TVs, 8K TVs, VRR (specified by HDMI ver.2.1)

The thing that rankles is the tv's that can handle 4k/120 hdr ps 5 titles are either few and far between or LG or $$ 8k models . And some tv's may only have 2.1 features but not the wanted 48gbps bandwidth ; its a minefield ..

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/06/07/playstation-5-just-gave-most-tv-brands-including-sony-a-serious-headache/#7c45d22f3a69

Lets hope counterintuitively that these hi bandwidth titles come later in the ps5's lifetime ? ?

Guest thathifiguy

I'd be very surprised if Sony pulled the pin on physical discs, the trade-in games market alone would create a huge amount of backlash.

I'd say it is pitched at people who don't want physical clutter and predominantly download titles.

I'd say the PSN Store would need to get a bit more eager with their discounting however for this to be viable.

1 hour ago, thathifiguy said:

I'd be very surprised if Sony pulled the pin on physical discs, the trade-in games market alone would create a huge amount of backlash.

I'd say it is pitched at people who don't want physical clutter and predominantly download titles.

I'd say the PSN Store would need to get a bit more eager with their discounting however for this to be viable.

I suspect they would like to pull the pin on Disc versions of games, but can't because of the backlash they'd get, and not just from the gamers.

I suppose you'd also have the stores thinking why would we carry Playstation stuff when we can't make any money on the games, there's only a finite amount of hardware they can sell before it just ends up taking up store space.

It's new games being released, and the ability to trade them in that bring people into the store, especially the you kids with limited spending money.

I really hope Sony's  Playstation NOW doesn't make it here in Australia, I think it's a crappy money grab of a service and have done since they first proposed it a decade ago.

I agree the discless version is pitched at those who don't want the clutter, I've had many a conversation with people on my friends list who once used to religiously buy the special boxed editions of games, who now what asked say, no I can't be bothered, I'd rather the convenience of downloading the game even though it's costing me more.

One of those conversations happened last night when talking about The Last of Us 2, I saw a friend was playing the original and said I'd preordered the game from JB on disc and it was $30 cheaper than the download version on the PStore, he said he'd already preordered it off the PStore.......think about it, I reckon it will be GOTY for sure [ well I should see what Cyberpunk turns out like first I suppose before making that statement] if Sony sells 10k download copies, which it should do easy in the first week, that's a extra $300k in Sony's pocket for doing nothing.

Add the same thing happening with FFVII remastered, Cyberpunk 2077, C.O.D, that's a estimated extra $1mil+ profit off 4 games in a week just from price gouging on PStore preorders.

It's things like that, that have me fear for the PS's future were games on the console to become download only, SONY would not discount games to Steam levels, well not until at least a year after release, and even then since they would have the monopoly on the system, they might not do so at all.

Anyway, anybody else had emails from JB and/or EB games asking for expression of interest for the PS5 ?
I registered mine with EB games for a change, we need to keep that group in the market, otherwise there will be little to no competition to JB and prices will rise......seems their stores are closing all around the place, and the CV-19 crap would have been making things even harder for them.

Guest thathifiguy

My understanding is the reasoning for higher prices on the PSN is due to Sony having a gentleman's agreement with retailers, giving them free reign at least for a period of time.

Personally, when I preorder new games, I generally do a physical copy due to the saving to be had, but older titles I will generally buy on PSN.

I don't know about having a gentleman's agreement, but generally if you preorder a PS4 disc version it usually works out $30 cheaper than the PStore price, if you were to walk into that same store a day after the release date with no preorder it would only be $20 cheaper.

It might be more of a counterbalance, as I'm pretty sure the stores end up with a lot of dead stock on some titles, especially titles a year or so old, when they begin getting discounted at the PStore.

I think I paid $24 for the last Spiderman game and $26 for the last Ghost Recon a few weeks ago.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm hoping that Sony are offering free upgrades on their games the same way Microsoft are, so if you buy Fifa 21 on the PS4 then when you buy a PS5 then it'll upgrade Fifa 21 to the PS5 version for free.