AV Receivers

Hi, I’m new to this site but just wondering any recommendations on AV Receivers around the $1k mark?

Edited by eDT

You may be able to score a Sony STR DN1080 around 1K also - do you have your speakers, what  are they (brand - sonic signature) this may affect the AV receiver you go for.

For example - Don't want bright amp & bright speakers unless you have a very damped room and like a brighter sound. Some component matching and room matching will pay dividends.

Cheers

WEJ

:welcome:to the forum...

Suggest getting a used one which will deliver better value for money. AVRs tend to be one of the fastest depreciating products here and you can pick up a very good older, higher end model. 

Note that you can get access to the Classifieds after a number of posts and/or been on forum for sometime. Exactly how many posts or how long is unclear; the rules seem to change over time.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2020 at 6:22 PM, eDT said:

Hi, I’m new to this site but just wondering any recommendations on AV Receivers around the $1k mark?

Thank you all for your info & suggestions. 

Guest DrSK

My only advice is make sure this is actually what you need and want. 

Many of us started this way, but realised we actually prefer good quality stereo which does very well for movies too. For music AVRs will always struggle. And the pluses with good stereo also applies in movies. 

We could have saved a bit of cash by starting with stereo first.

The same budget on 2 channels all round can get a lot better result than the same budget spread across 6+ channels. 

It is also common for people to run both an AVR and stereo system where the front speakers are driven by the stereo amp. Meaning you can combine later. 

Edited by DrSK

I thought I wanted an AV receiver for about $1k a few years ago. The Sony DN1080 was my first choice but it was just out of my budget. I ended up buying a Denon X1400H (earlier version of the X1600H) after quite a bit of research. It was a really flexible AVR with lots of features (Heos, Spotify Connect, 4k HDR pass through, etc).

However, I sold it last week for about 60% what I paid for it. I realised all I was really asking it to do was act as a 2.1 streaming amp for music, and occasionally for movie soundtracks. I decided I'd be better off with a dedicated 2 channel amp to get the most of out my Kef Q350s and streaming subscriptions (Tidal and Spotify).

AVRs are really flexible but as already mentioned think about how many of their features you will use, and what's most important to you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eDT said:

Thank you all for your info & suggestions. 

I haven’t got any gear yet nor an expert in this field. I have an approx 25sqm space where I want to setup a surround sound home theatre. I think I read something like a 5.1 system. My budget is around $3k for the lot so...... I’m not sure if this is sufficient?! But I really appreciate for all the advice & info so far... ?

• Like 1

Guest DrSK
4 hours ago, eDT said:

I haven’t got any gear yet nor an expert in this field. ?

Find a proper hifi shop and let you ears guide you with a demo. Take a range of music and a movie you know well and compare. 

Some research did blind tests of groups of random students, hifi journalists, musicians, audiophiles etc where each member of the group ranked speakers from best to worst. 

Individual preferences varied, but on average, each group ranked the speakers best to worst in the same order. Let your ears guide you. 

I would compare a proper 2 channel set up (not an AVR running 2 channel only) vs home theatre for same budget. 

From what I understand having started in the same place you have (wanting a new receiver under $1K and looking at the Denon X1600H) start with working out how many speakers you will be starting with - 2.0, 3.1, 5.1 etc.

Until you start getting beyond requiring 5.1, your $1000 is going to go a lot further on an older second hand receiver. You will lose a few sound modes and may not get the hdmi functionality that modern AVRs have, but you will get a lot more amplification for each channel.

Edited by Stotchy