20 hours ago, cafe latte said:

Put even a modest cart on a decent direct drive or belt whatever you will get good performance. The cart spend is very much diminishing returns when the rest is right.

I tend to agree with this.

I remember when I swapped out my Ortofon A90 for a Denon 103r (panzerholtz body). I was amazed how good the 103r sounded (yeah, it couldn't do the amazing clarity thing like the A90).

I eventually ended up selling the A90.

I've owned some other expensive cartridges, but I don't think they were good value for money. Cartridge pricing has gone completely crazy these days - diminishing returns indeed.

Actually, I'd be happy to live with only my 2M Black.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put up a wall shelf for my GR yesterday and got a nice improvement in soundstage.  Think I've decided to stick with the GR for now. I ordered a KAB damper kit and the Isonoe feet to experime

There are differences between higher end DD turntables but they're dwarfed in comparison to the difference a better cartridge makes. For example when using an Ortofon OM40 a 2m black equivalent m

I bought my SL1210MK2 new in 2007 for $800.  Biggest bargain in the world of hifi imo. When the same cartridge is mounted there isn't a lot of difference between it and my SL1210GR tbh. 

Posted Images

I was also a bit underwhelmed 

with my Ortofon A90.

Prefer the Lyra argoi and Dyn 17d3 at one third of the price.

20131220_183603.jpg

Edited by MarkT
7 minutes ago, MarkT said:

with my Ortofon A90.

Preferred the Lyra argoi and Dyn 17d3 at one third of the price.

20131220_183603.jpg

Just wondering why they used Boron for a headshell and or arm? I make bipods and we are making a new model in Boron alloy for a bipod it is good as it is stronger than aluminium but much heavier, but we can go thinner walls and get similar weight with slightly more strength and for a bipod this is a good thing. Magnesium ally is much lighter than aluminium and very strong too with advantage of good intrinsic damping for a metal anyway so for an arm or headshell magnesium alloy makes sense, but boron does not. Not putting your stuff down just a bit confused and also surprised at the choice of metal. I have been researching materials for tha arms I am building and I had already rejected boron so bit of a surprise to see Technics use it.

Chris

1 hour ago, MarkT said:

with my Ortofon A90.

Prefer the Lyra argoi and Dyn 17d3 at one third of the price.

The A90 did have a cool demeanour, but I've got to say I was amazed by the clarity and differentiation of the soundstage. The best I've heard in that regard. However I ended up admiring it rather than loving it. 

Thinking about it I had a similar reaction many years ago to the AT ART 1 which, perhaps due to the titanium body, shared some of the A90 qualities.

The 103R has a very panoramic stage but is not greatly accomplished in image focus and clarity of depth (the Soundsmith re-tip changes that) - but is engaging and plain fun. For some reason whenever I put the 103R in the system it always surprises me - it has flaws but I somehow don't expect it to sound as good as it does.    

After chewing it over for the past few days, I've just put down a deposit on a 1210GAE. Expecting deliver in September or October timeframe.

41 minutes ago, recur said:

After chewing it over for the past few days, I've just put down a deposit on a 1210GAE. Expecting deliver in September or October timeframe.

Congratulations! Did you buy online or at a local dealer?

47 minutes ago, recur said:

Congrats, looks better in all black (IMO).  Please post a few photos and your thoughts when it arrives.

1 hour ago, anandpkumar said:

Congratulations! Did you buy online or at a local dealer?

Local dealer.  

I always preferred the looks of the 1210 over the 1200 and only heard of a new Anniversary Edition yesterday. Too good to pass up.

The 1200sl GAE units are still selling at ridiculous prices. I don’t imagine this one will be much different. 

not a bad long term investment with benefits

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

2 hours ago, BugPowderDust said:

...and my 1210gae is on its way to me from Melbourne now.

With some luck Black Beauty will be setup in my lounge tomorrow.

Well done mate!

I received an update today that i might receive one of mine this week, and the rest possibly mid to late November due to delays down at the docks.

Look forward to comparing experiences with what works best on the new decks 👍