• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Put up a wall shelf for my GR yesterday and got a nice improvement in soundstage.  Think I've decided to stick with the GR for now. I ordered a KAB damper kit and the Isonoe feet to experime

She's setup and ready for some testing. Very pretty in the flesh. Also weighs significantly more than my old SL1900. Closer to double the weight.   I've got a bit of an earth hum at volume s

I bought my SL1210MK2 new in 2007 for $800.  Biggest bargain in the world of hifi imo. When the same cartridge is mounted there isn't a lot of difference between it and my SL1210GR tbh. 

I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a couple of SL1200G's. I was a little upset that silver is the only option and opined over a black version... now that there's pictures of one, i'm not really sure i like the black.

Wonder what you'd have to do to secure one of those GAE's? The original GAE's disappeared quickly.

• Administrators

Good news - Available locally from July, 40 units are earmarked for Australia and will sell for $6,999 RRP.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Marc said:

Good news - Available locally from July, 40 units are earmarked for Australia and will sell for $6,999 RRP.

Group buy deal Marc???😉

Edited by hugo_wilco
  • Like 1
  • Administrators

LOL - not sure how retailers would feel about that! As it is I would say Pana will have its work cut out for it trying to evenly distribute the 40 across its retailers.

Smart ones would buy the lot!

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Marc said:

That seems to be a good price given the WhatHifi article states they will be GBP3,999

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

3 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

That seems to be a good price given the WhatHifi article states they will be GBP3,999

Standard sl1200g is rrp $6999

Posted (edited)

Beautiful.

Out of my field but an awesome bit of kit. 

Will stick to my SL1200mkII and just admire this from afar.

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Standard sl1200g is rrp $6999

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. 
Unless I’ve misread them, the whathifi article says the SL1210-gae will be GBP3,999 and the SNA article says the SL1210-gae will be AUD 6,999

5 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Unless I’ve misread them, the whathifi article says the SL1210-gae will be and the SNA article says the SL1210-gae will be AUD

At today's exchange rate, GBP3,999 = AUD$7423.92. 

So selling at AUD$6,999.00 looks reasonable. 

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Unless I’ve misread them, the whathifi article says the SL1210-gae will be GBP3,999 and the SNA article says the SL1210-gae will be AUD 6,999

Hiya , at the moment the standard silver SL1200G is $6999 , the black SL12000G is the same price. 

The cheaper SL1200GR is $2999 in black or silver.

Edited by cafe67

Good to see that Technics have priced this limited edition SL-1210GAE the same as the SL-1200G.

Not much difference between them apart from colour and better damping of the feet and of course the exclusivity of a limited edition run. 

3 hours ago, audiofeline said:

At today's exchange rate, GBP3,999 = AUD$7423.92. 

So selling at AUD$6,999.00 looks reasonable. 

That was my point 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Hiya , at the moment the standard silver SL1200G is $6999 , the black SL12000G is the same price. 

The cheaper SL1200GR is $2999 in black or silver.

But the articles are about the 1210GAE, how do the 1200GR or 1200G relate to the discussion (please assume I don’t know anything about technics turntables)

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

50 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

But the articles are about the 1210GAE, how do the 1200GR or 1200G relate to the discussion (please assume I don’t know anything about technics turntables)

Sorry sorry the sl1200gae was limited edition in silver sold out, sl1210gae is the new limited edition in black . The sl1210gae is priced at $6999 which seems to be the same price as the regular sl1200g , which seems a good price

I have a G also a sl1200mk2 modded with Kabusa psu, damper feet etc and an SP10mk2 (other turntables too). The G is amazing and silver looks very cool. Is it better than a sl1200mk2? Yes Is it a it better? No. How much different is a modded sl1200mk2? Not much but the G has it. If you have a modded sl1200mk2 with damper and psu maybe a rewire arm (not convinced the latter made much difference)then you are not going to hear night and day even if you have an amazing system. The new G has lower wow and flutter than the mk2, but if you can hear less than 0.025% you are better than me. Both by the way are speced the same but the G is apparently better. IMO the difference is the arm which I will be adding damping to soon) mk2 but cant comment till I have done it.

Chris

• Like 2

Where are the newer Technics made? Looks like an OEM type turntable. Similar to Audio Technica, Reloop, Stanton etc...

Just wondering.

2 minutes ago, 2Brix said:

I think SL-1200Mk7 and SL-1500C made in Malaysia

Correct. The GR & G are made in Japan.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.....

Would of been disappointed if they were made by super oem and charging high prices.

• 3 weeks later...

Mulling over getting the 1210GAE anniversary.

Currently I have the 1210GR, which is a mighty fine turntable and I have no complaints with it. In fact I can probably credit the 1210GR for getting me back into vinyl.

1210GR_small.jpg.83e2c15bf2156f618ef8ae725e5ce22f.jpg

But that audio nervosa has kicked in and I'm wondering if the 1210GAE would be offer a worthwhile SQ improvement(?). 

Selling my GR and getting the GAE would be very significant chunk of change, so I'm questioning my sanity.

Of course there would be no feature change (apart from strobe off with the GAE) and the tables look pretty much identical.

Both tables have the same specs: Wow and Flutter 0.025% and -78dB Rumble.

I'd be hanging any improvement on the GAE'S  twin rotor motor, extra chassis dampening, heavier platter and magnesium alloy arm-tube. 

Though the GR sounds super clean sitting on a rack behind my speaker, I just got a SolidSteel WS-5 wall shelf which I will mount shortly for the GR.

So this may possibly negate some of the heavier build advantages of the GAE(?).

What do you reckon, should I roll the dice?

Edited by Tobes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I also have a GR and have been toying with the idea of getting the GAE.

Dealers will not discount on it so will be full rrp which is $6999.

The GR is imo the sweet spot performance and price wise and sounds superb with my Dynavector 17D3.

Maybe the GAE will sound slightly better but ime the cartridge is the biggest determining factor in sound quality and once you have a rock solid , high quality Japanese DD turntable the differences between higher end models are subtle so I think I'll stick with my GR .

• Like 1

Yes Mark, I don't think there will be any discount with the limited GAE - which means I'd probably be looking at $5K - $5.5K difference after selling my GR.

That's a lot of cash for what might be a small improvement.

I've read some reviews that say the G/GAE is much better than the GR, but I suspect there is some audiophile hyperbole in those comments. Also, were both tables identically setup with the same cartridges etc?

I've read others that say the 2 models sound quite similar.

It might be a case where you'd have to hear them in a careful A/B comparison to identify the differences - and if that's the case can the differences be called significant?

I've made a preliminary enquiry and the Australian delivered GAE'S are not expected until Sept/Oct - but of course people are pre-ordering them and only 40 will be available for Oz. 

Decisions, decisions.

Edited by Tobes

FWIW, this guy says:

"Many have asked whether there is a significant difference between the SL-1200G and SL-1200 / SL-1210GR. The truth is that the two turntables do sound similar in some areas yet vastly different in others. The SL-1200G is notably quieter, offers much better imaging, far more detail and its sound is more uncoloured than that of the 1200GR, not that the sound of the 1200GR is especially coloured in comparison to similarly priced rivals. The two do sound similar in terms of pitch stability and of course both are speed accurate. I suppose the best way to describe the difference in sound is that the SL-1200G is a more ‘confident’ sounding turntable, more authoritative with a greater sense of scale and dimensionality which really does add to the overall musical picture."

• Thanks 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a slight disappointment with the AUS deliveries of the GAE is that they are not coming with the specially designed Nagaoka cartridge. My understanding is these are only for the UK. 

• Like 1
On 16/06/2020 at 1:20 PM, Tobes said:

FWIW, this guy says:

"Many have asked whether there is a significant difference between the SL-1200G and SL-1200 / SL-1210GR. The truth is that the two turntables do sound similar in some areas yet vastly different in others. The SL-1200G is notably quieter, offers much better imaging, far more detail and its sound is more uncoloured than that of the 1200GR, not that the sound of the 1200GR is especially coloured in comparison to similarly priced rivals. The two do sound similar in terms of pitch stability and of course both are speed accurate. I suppose the best way to describe the difference in sound is that the SL-1200G is a more ‘confident’ sounding turntable, more authoritative with a greater sense of scale and dimensionality which really does add to the overall musical picture."

IMO (I have a G, sp10mk2 and a sl1210mk2 modded) is there is very little difference between a modded sl1200 and a G. I have damper, psu, arm rewire and feet. Difference to the G is tiny now, and maybe the arm on the G is a tiny bit better and just a bit cleaner, but if so it is small. I have started using both setting up with different carts as differences are so small not bothered.

Unmodded difference for sure, but sl1200mk2 is still really nice stock.

Chris

1 hour ago, cafe latte said:

IMO (I have a G, sp10mk2 and a sl1210mk2 modded) is there is very little difference between a modded sl1200 and a G. I have damper, psu, arm rewire and feet. Difference to the G is tiny now, and maybe the arm on the G is a tiny bit better and just a bit cleaner, but if so it is small. I have started using both setting up with different carts as differences are so small not bothered.

Chris

Like you i have a fully modded 1200 (KAB USA M5G). You're right the modded 1200 may be very close to the G, but even though i've always loved the M5G look and feel, when you see the new G in the flesh, it's just next level fit/finish/look IMO. It's super cool, albeit at a hefty price. Mind you, the replacement price on my modded KAB 1200 (not that you can get them anymore) when i last did the calcs was somewhere in the 4-6k range so still up there in price.

1 hour ago, cafe latte said:

Chris

What carts are you using?

Have you considered swapping in a different tonearm? if so which one... crazy money but i'd love to put in a SME V like they do with the Timestep 1200G.

7 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

What carts are you using?

Have you considered swapping in a different tonearm? if so which one... crazy money but i'd love to put in a SME V like they do with the Timestep 1200G.

I have about 60 carts so quite a few. London super gold, Grado statement reference, benzt micro glider, Dynavector 17d3, EPC205mk3 all sorts of stuff. Re changing the arm no. I have an Eminent Technology air arm on the SP10mk2 which is worth more than the turntable and I still prefer the G so clearly the arm both on the G and the mk2 is doing a great job. People are very quick to want to replace the Technics arm, because the mags say you need to. Remember the Technics arm has fantastic bearing with a friction of 7 mg from memory which is stunningly good. Few arms will have bearing that good at any price. It would be interesting to hear a Technics with a sme V arm, but I would not swap out the original for any thing less than that. I honestly feel the Rega arm swaps are a downgrade.

Chris

• Like 2

I bought my SL1210MK2 new in 2007 for $800. 

Biggest bargain in the world of hifi imo.

When the same cartridge is mounted there isn't a lot of difference between it and my SL1210GR tbh. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, cafe latte said:

I have about 60 carts so quite a few. London super gold, Grado statement reference, benzt micro glider, Dynavector 17d3, EPC205mk3 all sorts of stuff. Re changing the arm no. I have an Eminent Technology air arm on the SP10mk2 which is worth more than the turntable and I still prefer the G so clearly the arm both on the G and the mk2 is doing a great job. People are very quick to want to replace the Technics arm, because the mags say you need to. Remember the Technics arm has fantastic bearing with a friction of 7 mg from memory which is stunningly good. Few arms will have bearing that good at any price. It would be interesting to hear a Technics with a sme V arm, but I would not swap out the original for any thing less than that. I honestly feel the Rega arm swaps are a downgrade.

Chris

Wow, that's a serious number of carts mate!

Good feedback on the G tonearm. I don't think i'll be in a rush to change, especially at the SME V's asking price!

• Like 1
On 17/06/2020 at 10:16 PM, cafe latte said:

Chris

On 17/06/2020 at 11:21 PM, wikeeboy said:

Like you i have a fully modded 1200 (KAB USA M5G). You're right the modded 1200 may be very close to the G, but even though i've always loved the M5G look and feel, when you see the new G in the flesh, it's just next level fit/finish/look IMO. It's super cool, albeit at a hefty price. Mind you, the replacement price on my modded KAB 1200 (not that you can get them anymore) when i last did the calcs was somewhere in the 4-6k range so still up there in price.

On 18/06/2020 at 8:40 AM, MarkT said:

I bought my SL1210MK2 new in 2007 for $800. 

Biggest bargain in the world of hifi imo.

When the same cartridge is mounted there isn't a lot of difference between it and my SL1210GR tbh. 

Hmm.

Been looking at other forum discussions and many that have auditioned GR vs G describe them as 'very close' - but do say the G has a nicer finish.

Maybe I'd be better off just getting a KAB damper for the GR and enjoying what I have!

Could always wait for the inevitable 60th anniversary  model.

• Like 1

Technics will probably release a SL1210G shortly anyway.

Same as when they released the limited edition SL1200GAE closely followed by the SL1200G.

• Like 2

I have developed an unhealthy obsession with the SL1200G/GR. And even the 1210MK7 and the 1500C. I have also read that the sound quality difference between the G and GR is pretty small. I wonder how much of a difference there is between the Mk7 and the GR? And even a 1200Mk2 vs a MK7. A few DJ reviews on youtube have said the MK7 suffers from vibration and resonance in a loud nightclub environment as it is much lighter than the original 1200s. But in a home environment, I wonder how they would compare. 

I'd love to hear a shootout between all of them. A needledrop of the same record on each turntable. Unlabelled audio files. See if we can pick them.

To think that a little more than 10 years ago you could pick up a MK2 brand new for under a grand... crazy. 

1 hour ago, mikizee said:

I have developed an unhealthy obsession with the SL1200G/GR. And even the 1210MK7 and the 1500C. I have also read that the sound quality difference between the G and GR is pretty small. I wonder how much of a difference there is between the Mk7 and the GR? And even a 1200Mk2 vs a MK7. A few DJ reviews on youtube have said the MK7 suffers from vibration and resonance in a loud nightclub environment as it is much lighter than the original 1200s. But in a home environment, I wonder how they would compare. 

I'd love to hear a shootout between all of them. A needledrop of the same record on each turntable. Unlabelled audio files. See if we can pick them.

To think that a little more than 10 years ago you could pick up a MK2 brand new for under a grand... crazy. 

The G is better put together than the MK2, that said a modded mk2 ie damper and psu from Kab you are not going to gain much from a G. I have a G next to a MK2 and ATC SCM 100's and a dnm preamp and a lovely mosfet amp also a Conrad premier 4 for when I am in a valve mood.

The G is lovely, I dont have a GR, but really with all else right and the mods I did the mk2 is so close it is not funny. I originally convinced myself best carts needed to be on the G as I had just spent 6.5K. Reality is I swap carts now between then both and more and more convinved difference is nothing to worry about.... Unless you want it to be :)

Chris

• Like 1

I have a KAB Modded M5G.  Its got the damper, PSU, and applied Fidelity Sapphire bearing.  I run it with a Funk Firm Achromat and a Jelco Headshell.  Looks like this may be kicking on the door of a new G, so good to know.

I just did a needle drop of a 1968 Seekers Best of Collection (UK Pressing) and was impressed with what came out of the grooves.

• Like 1