Tape Loop / Tape 1 and Tape 2 Bose 901

Hello All

I am wanting to add some Bose 901 series 1, 2 or 3 speakers (yet to purchase)

my understanding is the Bose equaliser requires a tape loop amplifier.

I own a vintage Akai AA 1020 which has Tape monitoring 1 and 2. Will this amp work with the Bose 901 requirements? 

Thank you . 

017E5E2F-51AD-40AD-B29B-2B891352289A.jpeg

EB2CF86F-638C-49B6-A057-C6956CA4EDFD.jpeg

Edited by johnpaulurizar
Upload photos

Hi John it should work just connect the equaliser as marked. They sound very flat when not connected the right way. Check the speaker cones for any damage around the the outside as they decayed with age before you buy. Most will probably be reconditioned by now. Also the EQ may need recapping. There is a guy in the states that does it quite cheaply. Any electronics shop should be able to. Below is a link. They do require some power to drive them to their full potential.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bose-800-802-901-Equalizer-Repair-Upgrade-Service-/330633737926

@johnpaulurizar

Hi John, 

Check the speaker cones for any damage around the the outside as they decayed with age before you buy.

This you must do! I see you're in sydney, check out these guys if you need a speaker/amp repair, they're top blokes.

Speaker Hospital

https://www.speakerhospital.com.au/

Well good news. I am managed to buy a set of 901 series 3 with equaliser , they have be rebuilt by Bose in the 1990’s. It took a awhile to set them up correctly with the equaliser. Once connect the sound difference between equalised and non is worlds apart. 

The only issue is one of the speaker wire turn knob connector is free spinning and therefore a loose connection. I will reach out to the speaker hospital  as mentioned in previous post above. The only other thing required are the tulip pedals stands . 

Very happy from the sound . 

Regards 

John Paul Urizar 

7841F762-A009-4A79-BCBB-59087325C5E5.jpeg

Edited by johnpaulurizar
Typo

You definitely need to get them apart further on some stands. When I was a kid in the late 70’s a mate’s parents had a pair and powered then with the most powerful receiver ever made - the technical sa1000 at 330 wpc. I’m not sure it made it to 330 watts but they lapped up every watt. 

Would not be doing the turntable any favours up that close to the speakers. I have a pair of stands made from timber nicely spun up on a latheI don't use any more. If you hold the speaker terminal with a pair of vise grips you can tighten the nut but be careful not to strip the thread. I find in a small room where they are not in a corner they can sound better turned around. Tend to be smothered to much. Also the more power the better as gat474 mentioned. I even ran a 1000 watt Yamaha pro amp for a while before getting a big class A amp.

• Like 2