DCS Network Bridge Vs SMS 200 Ultra

(please scroll to the last few post for the comparison conclusion) 

I have been thinking about streamlining my system at the moment hence the interest in DCS NB. My current configuration consist of:

1. SGC itransport i5 (switching PS)> connect by ethernet cable > 2. EtherRegen (yet to come powered by SPS 500)> connected via Ethernet > 3. SMS 200 (LPS 1.2) > connected by USB > 4. OffRamp 4 SPDIF converter (Sbooster LPS) > connected by RCA> 5. Lampizator DAC

Can a device like the DCS Network bridge replace 1, 2, 3 and 4 ?   Or will 2. actually further enhance the DCS NB ? Please feel free to chime in? 

I would also be very grateful if anyone is willing to showcase their DCS NB in my system.

Edited by Journey72

Sonore doesn't market computer servers. If it's a sever with an i5- it's SGC or a different company.

EtherRegen is from Uptone Audio - also not Sonore.

The DCS is a network transport - you connect it by ethernet and it's output is to your DAC. It's not a computer/server, it has to be connected to a file source/network server. It also has a USB input for connecting an external drive with files.

It has AES, SPDIF and SDIF-2  outputs. This seems to be compatible with your DAC  so it can replace 2.3,4.  It can't serve files like 1. If 1 is actually a computer server, you will probably get better performance leaving it in place. But you can replace 1 also if you attach an external drive to  the NB via USB. If I was you, I'd check with the dealer or DCS to make sure there are no issues with that setup (such as speed or limit of number of files) - just to be sure - before you buy. 

• Like 1

Just now, firedog said:

Sonore doesn't market computer servers. If it's a sever with an i5- it's SGC or a different company.

EtherRegen is from Uptone Audio - also not Sonore.

The DCS is a network transport - you connect it by ethernet and it's output is to your DAC. It's not a computer/server, it has to be connected to a file source/network server. It also has a USB input for connecting an external drive with files.

It has AES, SPDIF and SDIF-2  outputs. This seems to be compatible with your DAC  so it can replace 2.3,4.  It can't serve files like 1. If 1 is actually a computer server, you will probably get better performance leaving it in place. But you can replace 1 also if you attach an external drive to  the NB via USB. If I was you, I'd check with the dealer or DCS to make sure there are no issues with that setup (such as speed or limit of number of files) - just to be sure - before you buy. 

You're 100% correct. edited my original message. I always get mixed up with SGC, Uptone and Sonore.

On 28/05/2020 at 5:11 PM, firedog said:

But you can replace 1 also if you attach an external drive to  the NB via USB.

Or, if you have a NAS, you could load your library onto that with MinimServer2 (which I read somewhere is recommended by DCS) and install your favourite app on your phone and/or iPad as the control point (e.g. BubbleUPnP, HiFi-Cast, Lumin etc etc).  No need for a PC, or the NAS, to be in the same room as the hifi system.

I did this originally to an Auralic Aries femto (Sbooster) and currently to a Sonore Signature Rendu which then feeds the DAC via I2S. Very happy with the results. 

• Thanks 1

I am going to borrow a unit from Tivolli hifi. I'll let you know how it fares against a sotm sms 200 ultra powered by sps500...

and maybe kindly request for Snoopy8 to bring his ER in again. 

On 28/05/2020 at 5:11 PM, firedog said:

It has AES, SPDIF and SDIF-2  outputs. This seems to be compatible with your DAC  so it can replace 2.3,4.  

No. 2 is the EtherRegen (ER) (which OP has ordered).  My initial reaction was that the dCS Network Bridge (NB) could make the ER redundant but there are 3 dCS Vivaldi owners who reported improvements with the ER. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-1003311

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/9/?tab=comments#comment-1005011

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57519-uptone-audio-etherregen-listening-impressions/page/28/?tab=comments#comment-1028759

I do not want this to go OT, so will leave it as that

9 hours ago, lyndonlim said:

I am going to borrow a unit from Tivolli hifi. I'll let you know how it fares against a sotm sms 200 ultra powered by sps500...

and maybe kindly request for Snoopy8 to bring his ER in again. 

Let me know when and I'll bring the ER over.  However, it is going back with me when I leave.  ?  ? 

• Like 1

I spoke to James from tivolli today... Always a great guy James. He reminds me of Seth Rogen.

My bank account is scared of borrowing the dcs nb. Maybe when we stop wfh i can shake this obsession off??) :

Edited by lyndonlim

I thought I would provide a quick update on our assessment of our comparison. A big Thank you to James from Tivolli Hifi for the loan of the DCS network bridge. I always find those guys great to deal with as its a very no pressure buy if you like and return it without hassle if you don't. I know I always get into trouble when James lends me hifi equipment.  I actually borrowed the DCS NB more out of curiosity as a few reviews from the computer audiophile forum seem to suggest it was even a more accomplished network streamer Vs the best of breed (to me) streamers such as the SOTM SMS 200 ultra trio, Aurrender N10, Rendu Ultra etc...

So here is a quick summary of my findings:

Day 1 - Plugged in the brand new DCS NB into my system (sonic itransport i5 > ethernet> DCS > Lampizator DAC > AN M2 Preamp > AN Kit EL34 monoblocks> Magnepan 1.7 (modded))

Observations: 

I celebrated internally upon hearing that the background was quieter but slightly dull Vs SMS 200 (non ultra) as it meant my $$$ can stay in my bank account. I started to think "okay this DCS gear probably caters more for the trendy lifestyle HiFi crowd not for genuine hardcore audiophile nutters". It reinforced my belief that it would be a challenge for a one box unit to compete with 'best of breed' separate dedicated units like the Uptone LPS 1.2 powering the SMS 200 going into a Empirical Audio Off Ramp 4 spdif converter powered by Sbooster LPS

Day 2 - Burnt in the DCS for another 12 hours. Received my new SMS 200 Ultra. 

DCS Vs SMS 200 (powered by lps 1.2)> Offramp 4 SPDIF

Observations:

We used the same 2 tracks throughout for our comparison: 1. All Love Can Be from A Beautiful Mind Soundtrack and another solo piano piece.

Felt like the DCS sound stage opened up a little bit but still sounded closed in Vs SMS 200. Called Snoopy8 over for a second ear. We both thought the DCS presented a significantly quieter background with better micro resolution.  Overall I thought the DSC was subjectively about 15% 'better'.

DCS Vs SMS 200 Ultra (powered by lps 1.2)> Offramp 4 SPDIF

It was starting to get interesting now.  We both still thought the DCS presented a quieter and blacker noise level with slightly better micro resolution e.g. you could placed singers more precisely on the sound stage. I still felt the DCS sound stage sounded a bit closed in with live recordings.  But overall slight edge to the DCS.......7% better ? We both felt the price difference of the DCS over the Ultra combo was not worthwhile at this stage.

DCS Vs EtherRegen (powered by Gieseler Gold Tune LPS) >SMS 200 Ultra (powered by lps 1.2)> Offramp 4 SPDIF

The Ultra now nearly matched the DCS's quieter background but I felt now the Ultra had the advantage of a more open sounding sound stage. Snoopy8 preferred the DCS as he mentioned the sound of piano decay was more extended. 

EtherRegen(powered by Gieseler Gold Tune LPS)>DCS  Vs EtherRegen (powered by Gieseler Gold Tune LPS) >SMS 200 Ultra (powered by lps 1.2)> Offramp 4 SPDIF

With the DCS and ER, at this stage we both stopped trying to estimate the incremental improvement of the DCS NB over the Ultra combination.  We played the Angel of Harlem from the Ultimate Audiophile recoding, the DCS combo now had all the strength of blacker and quieter noise backs ground but now the sound stage seemed larger in width and depth and the sonic presentation was not only more layered....it basically had more of everything..some of the mental notes I made include all the usual audiophile adjectives such as greater lower frequency impact, more attack, more visceral impact, more accurate placement of musicians (according to Chesky recording notes), musicality....  At this point I thought wow....I didn't think the DCS combo could better the SMS 200 Ultra combo in my system as I always thought the SOTM Ultra was the 'affordable' bees knees of the streaming world.

Over the next few days burning in the DCS, I felt the DCS presentation (without the ER) opened up even further. I read another forum user sharing that burn in would not make much of a difference but my experience is saying otherwise. Extended burn in time makes sense when you think about the number of capacitors in the power supply and complex processing circuitry. James from Tivoli HiFi recommended 300 hours burn in time hence he was encouraging for me to trial the DCS for a longer time period.

To cut a long story short, I coughed up the dough reluctantly and purchased the unit I was trialling as I felt the DCS NB not only simplified my upstream architecture but transformed my system by enabling it to deliver more impactful and engaging music. Thanks to Snoopy8 for encouraging me to open my wallet and James for his patience and consultative sales approach.

I wanted to streamline my chain of digital equipment and its associated LPSs 

Edited by Journey72
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Journey72 said:

Thanks to Snoopy8 for encouraging me to open my wallet ...

and my next suggestion is  ??? ? ...

I listened to the dCS Network Bridge for a few hours and the WOW moment came when the Network Bridge was paired with the Uptone EtherRegen.  The Persuasions : Angel of Harlem is one of my test tracks, which Chesky suggested for showing holographic imaging.  It delivered a three dimensional presence in spades, so much so that I had difficulty erasing it from my mind! 

Note that the Network Bridge was still burning in then.  It is indeed an impressive music streamer which I want to audition further, which could damage my wallet as well!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...