Music Hall MMF 7.1 Upgrades

Hi All,

I was looking at potential upgrades for my TT. If anyone has a MMF 7.1 or any other Music Hall TT which they tweaked or upgraded parts of, please comment below.

I'm currently looking at a few options:

1. Upgrade the motor which is currently AC to the DC motor from the MMF7.3/9.3. Research has led me to believe this is a straight swap, cost however might be a bit pricey. Have touched base with the Music Hall distributor and awaiting the cost.

2. Sub Platter Upgrade - Currently it's plastic and Pro Ject seem to have an Aluminium Upgrade Platter available for The Classic series. So if anyone has a Classic which they upgraded the platter to the Aluminium one or have the new Classic Evo with the Aluminium sub platter, can you please comment as well as I'd like to know if it would fit my TT. Can seem to find any pics online of the underside of the sub-platter or any dimensions apart from the weight. Cost is $219.

3. Isolation platform from the likes of Wyndham Audio which would apply to any TT I upgrade to in the future. Cost is $450. 

I should add my current cart is the Garrott Brothers P77i and phono is an Avid Hifi Pulsus, so not looking to upgrade those aspects at the moment.

Any other general comments also welcome.

Thanks All.

Edited by Cardiiiii

5 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

3. Isolation platform from the likes of Wyndham Audio which would apply to any TT I upgrade to in the future. Cost is $450. 

A generic comment (I don't have the same turntable as you) is that this is an area you can experiment with quite cheaply.  All these usual cheap tricks, like squash balls, Bunnings isolation mats,  butcher's block  or other heavy platform with isolation devices under it, and above it between it and your turntable, sand trays,  half inflated wheelbarrow inner tubes,  the list goes on...

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Hi All,

I was looking at potential upgrades for my TT. If anyone has a MMF 7.1 or any other Music Hall TT which they tweaked or upgraded parts of

I have the same TT with an Ortofon 2M blue.

I put a slab of sandstone with squash balls underneath.  600x600mm sandstone was about $20 and squash balls were about $40.  I highly recommend this experiment first - this platform is staying.

I replaced the mat with a Funk Firm Achromat.

Other than that no other upgrades, so will be interested in seeing what comes of this thread.

• Like 3

putting in the Wyndham isolation platforms from @cheekyboy made a notable difference.  I didn't realise how muddy my bass was.  The cleaned up bass, and the improved separation of instruments (better realism) was the end result for what I considered not much outlay.

My TT was previously just on a cabinet, I did have vibrapods under the feet - but they were not doing much, if anything (discovered after putting in the platforms).  It was a much better sound - more clarity, tighter bass, better imagining and soundstage in my opinion.  I had tried the IKEA Bamboo before the Wyndham ones, the solidity is probably what helps more with Keith's ones.  Bamboo Ikea were not as effective.

before and after shots

2.jpg

20171223_112934_resized.jpg

april 2020 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My understanding is that in Australia, the 7.1 has the 7.3 DC motor due to some aspect of our electrical standards.

I read this in a news article on an audio site which I cannot recall, but this may not be the case. As far as isolation goes I wouldn't go that way as it is already very well isolated due to the multi plinth design, but as @aussievintage has said there are low cost things from Bunnings that you can try for minimal outlay.

The sub platter is the area I would look to improve upon if the one from the Classic Evo is suitable and I agree  that your cart and phono are good enough.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rantan said:

As far as isolation goes I wouldn't go that way as it is already very well isolated due to the multi plinth design,

Yes very true Rantan, one of the main reasons I chose this TT.  Mine sits directly next to a speaker, so I increased the isolation - but it's a very good design to begin with.

1 hour ago, rantan said:

My understanding is that in Australia, the 7.1 has the 7.3 DC motor due to some aspect of our electrical standards.

I read this in a news article on an audio site which I cannot recall, but this may not be the case. As far as isolation goes I wouldn't go that way as it is already very well isolated due to the multi plinth design, but as @aussievintage has said there are low cost things from Bunnings that you can try for minimal outlay.

The sub platter is the area I would look to improve upon if the one from the Classic Evo is suitable and I agree  that your cart and phono are good enough.

I did remember reading this about the MMF9.1, will see if I can find the article. Not sure if it applies to the MMF7.1 but here's a pic of my power brick if anyone wants to confirm. 

IMG_20200528_143148.jpg

This is the article, first paragraph.

https://convoy.com.au/music-hall-mmf-9-1-turntable-on-test-hi-fi-magazine/

Quote from article:

“It’s a great time to be a vinyl-loving audiophile in Australia, because the Music Hall mmf-9.1 turntable we can buy here is different from the one that is available most everywhere else in the world, because it uses a motor identical to that on the more expensive mmf-9.3. According to Music Hall, this came about because this particular motor conformed to Australia’s strict electrical code and means that all the 9.1s on sale in Australia are, according to Roy Hall, of Music Hall: ‘essentially 9.3s.’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Okay so I did some digging, and that symbol image between the +15V and 0.8A in Output means it's DC so I guess that's one upgrade I don't need to make.

There you go, applies to mine as well, I've learnt something today!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

There you go, applies to mine as well, I've learnt something today!

Yup good news. I've emailed a few retailers asking for dimensions of the aluminum sub platter. Hopefully someone will come back. If not I might take mine and go to a store to see if it's the same as the one on the newer Evo TTs. 

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

Any idea on what this would affect?

This is the only review I could find online of someone who upgraded their platter.

This beautifully machined, heavy aluminum platter replaces the molded plastic subplatter on the Pro-ject Classic turntable. The improvements were immediate; especially in soundstage clarity. Insturments and singers in the opera chorus now had definite height and depth, and I could tell that some singers stood above others on the stage. Dynamics and impact were slightly improved, as well. All in all, a very worthwhile investment.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

This is the only review I could find online of someone who upgraded their platter.

This beautifully machined, heavy aluminum platter replaces the molded plastic subplatter on the Pro-ject Classic turntable. The improvements were immediate; especially in soundstage clarity. Insturments and singers in the opera chorus now had definite height and depth, and I could tell that some singers stood above others on the stage. Dynamics and impact were slightly improved, as well. All in all, a very worthwhile investment.

Somehow the new subplatter gave him Dolby Atmos?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cardiiiii said:

Interesting.  Keen to see if you go for this upgrade and what your results would be.

Go for an acrylic platter. I have a 9.1. For some stupid reason I kept using a cork mat but when I ditched this and just used the acrylic platter with a clamp made a massive difference. Music was much more lively and detailed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kieron said:

Go for an acrylic platter. I have a 9.1. For some stupid reason I kept using a cork mat but when I ditched this and just used the acrylic platter with a clamp made a massive difference. Music was much more lively and detailed. 

Out of curiosity, is the sub platter on the 9.1 plastic or metal?

While I was looking around for isolation platforms I came across this:

https://klappav.com.au/collections/pro-ject/products/ground-it-deluxe-1

Then it also got me thinking, what if one of the screw sizes that comes with this fits the grooves of the spikes on the Pro Ject?

https://klappav.com.au/collections/isoacoustics/products/gaia-iii

Alright, so even though no one got back to me with the dimensions of the sub platter for the Classic or Classic Evo, I was told by one store that Pro Ject advised them it won't fit anyway. I have my doubts but I'll take their word for it.

I did contact a couple of companies that do customer CNCing and was quoted around $250 by one company which isn't too bad, but they are based in Wantirna South, which is a bit of a trek. There is one a lot closer to me, so have sent them an email and will see what they have to say.

The things we do for this hobby.