SOLD: FS: DSE A2760 modified according to Richard McDonald(tagstrip)

SOLD
Item Condition: used
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: 3133
State: Victoria
Payment Method: COD
Reason for selling: too many amps

Further information: 

This AMP was modified according to Richard McDonald by myself the year before last year when I had time playing with things. 

I think the mods result is very similar to the famous Hugh Dean Aksa 55, which, without wonder,  was a product by Richard and Hugh as you can read the story here.

http://www.aesmelbourne.org.au/wp-content/media/THE AKSA STORY.pdf

The  modified circuit shares high similarity with AKSA circuit, which is said to be the most tubey...

Only difference is that A2760 is much better looking amp than a original AKSA 55 as you can see from the picture :).   Aksa 55 amps don't have speaker protection circuits and kindof dual mono transformer either. And also, I used fancier capacitors such as metal films and Nichicon Muse series, etc.

Anyway, I used it to drive my Yamaha NS1000M and did look anywhere else.

I actually had two of them, with one added remote volume control, source select and even a phono stage as the retired preamp power supply is actual very good for addon things like those.

This one has been my in my video shelf as AV amp, but now I have started to try surround system.

These is also a VSPS, very simple phono stage, designed by RJM Audio to come with it or the next owner to play with it.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

a2760.jpg

aksa.PNG

aksa-55.jpg

IMG_20200526_210934.jpg

Edited by Jing

Should the AKSA schematic be reproduced here? Also, does this amplifier have Richard's modified output stage with bipolar and mosfet or is it just as original with two bipolar per channel but with some component upgrades? I'd be interested if it's the hybrid and that's one I've yet to play with.

Edited by treuben

Aksa circuit is not reproduced as it is proprietary. This diagram, if you read carefully, is conceptual. 

Richard's idea is only modifying the circuit, two bipolars per channel still, upgrading components in this amp  is according to other sources and some basic understanding of improving signal path parts quality, and through this, the sound quality. 

Edited by Jing
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tortello77 said:

Hi Jing, did you actually talk with Richard about the mods? I know he wouldn't freely share these... thanks

Yes, we exchanged quite a few pleasant emails and SMSes while I was working on it,  when I saw AKSA amp circuit and guessed most of his ideas and he advised me eventually of a few things where I couldn't balance out the DC current output. It was a true pleasure.