WTB Curious cable 0.8m

ChesP

On 28/05/2020 at 5:57 AM, ChesP said:

Looking to BUY a Curious Cable USB 0.8M

I don't think you should buy a 0.8m digital cable.

I received a reply from the head of a US cable company (when I enquired about one of their cables) which said that digital cables need to be no shorter than 1m, for good performance.  (So I've followed his advice.  :) )

Andy

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, andyr said:

I don't think you should buy a 0.8m digital cable.

I received a reply from the head of a US cable company (when I enquired about one of their cables) which said that digital cables need to be no shorter than 1m, for good performance.  (So I've followed his advice.  :) )

Andy's point is that there is actually a theoretical technical reason that you can get reflections in digital coaxial cables which can have subtle effects on digital integrity and noise when under 1 metre. I'm not sure this applies to USB though.

46 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

Andy's point is that there is actually a theoretical technical reason that you can get reflections in digital coaxial cables which can have subtle effects on digital integrity and noise when under 1 metre. I'm not sure this applies to USB though.

X'ackly, Con!  :thumb:  But how can a USB cable not be a 'digital' cable?  :o

Andy

5 minutes ago, andyr said:

X'ackly, Con!  :thumb:  But how can a USB cable not be a 'digital' cable?  :o

Andy

I have experienced this with using Ethernet cables shorter than 1m between active components, the high SQ went missing, went back 1m cables and all good. I’m not sure this applies to usb though. I use a 0.8 Curious cable and there is no evidence of sound deterioration, compared SQ with USB cables 1m long.

https://curiouscables.com/faq

From the maker:
“Cable Length

All cables – from the Curious Regen Link (200mm) and Hugo Link (280mm) – to the 2 metre Curious usb are exactly the same cable, the same design.  The same great sound.  The only difference is length.  

Does usb length matter?

First  up, usb is different from spdif 75 Ohm digital cables.  Remember the  argument about 1.5m being the ideal length for spdif cables?  This  doesn’t apply to usb cables. 

When it comes to usb, shorter is better i.e. any length under 2 metres is ideal. 

Some  audiophiles with high resolution systems may notice a slight difference  between a 200mm and 2 metre Curious cable.  However – this is very  slight.  Some may say miniscule!  “

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, awayward said:

I have experienced this with using Ethernet cables shorter than 1m between active components, the high SQ went missing, went back 1m cables and all good. I’m not sure this applies to usb though. I use a 0.8 Curious cable and there is no evidence of sound deterioration, compared SQ with USB cables 1m long.

It's specific to coaxial spdif and shouldn't affect ethernet either, but your experience is all that matters.