Tubes for Manley Chinook Phono Stage

Hey everyone,

This subject has probably been covered somewhere in a previous thread already but I can't find it ?

Just asking for advice from any tubed phono preamp users out there. What tubes would be best suited for my Manley Chinook and what store either domestic or international would be best to purchase the tubes from?

My budget is up to $400 for the set of four.

Cheers

Tim

image.png.f3325b5544cb524f2b0f72e8e5a04b2c.pngimage.thumb.png.a4a05faf0b41048a3ab956edb2266e3a.png

Your help would be greatly appreciated :)

Edited by tcliffo1
1 hour ago, Warren Jones said:

What tubes does it currently have?

Current tubes are 6922EH Electro Harmonix 'Made in Russia' 17 05

Resized_20200421_100114.jpeg

Resized_20200421_100129.jpeg

Resized_20200421_100142.jpeg

Resized_20200421_100114.jpeg

Resized_20200421_100458.jpeg

Resized_20200421_100432.jpeg

You might find upgrading those will cost a good deal more than $400. 6DJ8 have been used but you could end up with some pain for little if no gain.

You would need to check the voltages as the 6922eh has a cathode to heater voltage of 200 and 6DJ8 is  max 150 for example.

I would go back to the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend as an upgrade.

Hi,

Have been through this one recently with my Chinook. Rolled to NOS Philips E88CC's - they were great but lost one of the matched quad. I had an in depth discussion with Neil from The Valve Store in Melbourne which swung me back to Electro Harmonix. Tube rolling is great, but you have to commit and expect some wallet ache on the way. In my situation, it started to get in the way of the music so decided to keep it simple. The EH 6922 Golds are quiet, lively and dynamic. Good luck!

• Like 1

The stock Tungsram tubes sound good. I also bought a matched NOS 1968 Telefunken E88CC tubes. They add more refinement, extension, depth, resolution, soundstage, and are tonally neutral. I also tried Siemens 6922 CCA tubes. The CCA tubes are as good as the Telefunken, but add more lushness, whereas the Telefunkens are tonally neutral.

Has anyone changed the coupling caps? I might change them  to Jupiter Copper, Miflex KPCU-01, or Mundorf Silver Oil. The stock ones are nameless, perhaps Cornell Dubilier or Sonicaps. This should be a major upgrade to the amazing Chinook.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, 10gauge said:

The stock Tungsram tubes sound good. I also bought a matched NOS 1968 Telefunken E88CC tubes. They add more refinement, extension, depth, resolution, soundstage, and are tonally neutral. I also tried Siemens 6922 CCA tubes. The CCA tubes are as good as the Telefunken, but add more lushness, whereas the Telefunkens are tonally neutral.

Has anyone changed the coupling caps? I might change them  to Jupiter Copper, Miflex KPCU-01, or Mundorf Silver Oil. The stock ones are nameless, perhaps Cornell Dubilier or Sonicaps. This should be a major upgrade to the amazing Chinook.

Look like Cornell Dubillier 940C to me. I've found that Arizona Blue Cactus caps + Duelund silver bypass caps are just a magical combination  ;)

The Miflex are fantastic with the Duelund silver bypass caps also.  The new Miflex KPCU-3 are physically a smaller cap than KPCU-1 and use the same construction so worth a look too.

• Like 1