Custom PSUs made in Australia?

I need a linear low-noise power supply for my Eclipse TD-M1 Active Speakers/ Hi-res DAC

220/240 in - 20v out 3.6A standard barrel connector 

Does anyone know Australian based custom builders?

Can get something on Ali Express, but would rather go local

All suggestions welome

Cheers Robert

• 1 month later...

THANKS everyone! great community

After a lot of research and some great recommendations, I discovered @Gieseler Audiowho make well-rated PSUs here in Australia.

After a bit of discussion with Clay who was very helpful, he Custom-Made an M18PSU "Kraftwerk", 20v 4A linear supply for me

It turned up very swiftly and has proved to be a real benefit, the overall sound from my Eclipse TD active speakers is smoother, more dynamic and IMHO more musical.

All intangibles but to my ears immediately noticeable, also less fatiguing over long listening session

If you are running any form of audio electronics with a cheap switched-mode PSU a Gieseler would make a great upgrade.

Thanks Clay!     www.gieseler.com.au  PICTURE roughly installed with THOR A12BF filter block. Next job is to trim cable lengths (-: 

IMG_6080.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks @cazzesman a bit rich for me. The custom @Gieseler Audio came in at about $450 delivered which I thought was good value. My Eclipse speakers are around $1500 so the prices relate.. 

I have a Pioneer CD ripper that has a crap switched PSU but the whole thing cost only $300, so am trawling AliBaba and may try a Chinese 5v 1A supply for that. Quite a few around $100 so I may risk that (-:

Last time (18 months ago I think) I asked Mr Gieseler, he wasn't doing anything more than 4amp.  My MB was recommending 6amp.   

To be honest I have no idea what will drive it I was just going by the smps power supply output that came with the MB.   

Maybe 19v and 4amp would drive it?????

Regards Cazzesman

My Sotm PCIe USB card manual states it needs - Input voltage : +6.5V ~ +9VdcInput current : 2A max

The Keces USB outputs 5v and 1amp so I will see how/if that powers it externally.

The new JCat USB Card XE needs 5v and 1amp so perfect for the Keces but that card is (Aus) $1300 ish.

If the Keces 5v 1amp doesn't power the Sotm then I might look at a 7v 1.5amp LPS from somewhere.   Does Mr Giesler make those?

My wife keeps telling me.....no OS trips, so maybe, maybe there's a chance for the JCat.    A hobbies a hobby after all ?

Regards Cazzesman

1 hour ago, robfoll said:

Thanks @cazzesman a bit rich for me. The custom @Gieseler Audio came in at about $450 delivered which I thought was good value. My Eclipse speakers are around $1500 so the prices relate.. 

I have a Pioneer CD ripper that has a crap switched PSU but the whole thing cost only $300, so am trawling AliBaba and may try a Chinese 5v 1A supply for that. Quite a few around $100 so I may risk that (-:

+1 for good value for Gieseler PSUs.  Like his DACs, the PSUs will compete with overseas name brands costing more.

Not sure a PSU can improve the CD ripping process? PSUs reduce the noise and leakage into audio components but ripping is unlikely to benefit???

I know I am in the minority but I will not get a non Australian power supply for my audio system.

1 hour ago, cazzesman said:

Last time (18 months ago I think) I asked Mr Gieseler, he wasn't doing anything more than 4amp.  My MB was recommending 6amp.   

I had a discussion with him regarding that very topic on how much current a device requires. Often, the maximum current is for extreme situations but for music usage, it is unlikely to ever reach the maximum.

• Like 1

"Not sure a PSU can improve the CD ripping process? PSUs reduce the noise and leakage into audio components but ripping is unlikely to benefit???"

My thought was that the quieter the electronics of BD Ripper, the better the rip? Who knows. I really want the Melco but can't afford it

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/07/2020 at 10:50 AM, robfoll said:

You might find a TeraDak LPS for that price. 

Edited by Cardiiiii

Didn't think much of Gieseler lps until i tried one in my system. It's up there with the uptone lps-1.2. I preferred the gieseler over the sotm sps500 power supply i had for a short time.

I auditioned the gieseler gold tuned enhamced lps on my sms 200 ultra, Etherregen and Ubiquiti ethernet switch. It helped my system produced an expansive soundstage with very low noise background.

What I have also learnt from many back to back comparisons with a few lps is that not all lps are created equal unfortunately. The differences between them will astound you if you can be bothered to undertake these comparisons.

Edited by Limmie
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Limmie said:

Didn't think much of Gieseler lps until i tried one in my system. It's up there with the uptone lps-1.2. I preferred the gieseler over the sotm sps500 power supply i had for a short time.

I auditioned the gieseler gold tuned enhamced lps on my sms 200 ultra, Etherregen and Ubiquiti ethernet switch. It helped my system produced an expansive soundstage with very low noise background.

What I have also learnt from many back to back comparisons with a few lps is that not all lps are created equal unfortunately. The differences between them will astound you if you can be bothered to undertake these comparisons.

Good call, I was very impressed by my @Gieseler Audio Kraftwerk LPS which was also Gold Tune.

Edited by robfoll
add info
  • Like 2