Jump to content

FOUND: Full Range drivers for Open Baffle Application


Recommended Posts

Item: Full Range Drivers for Open Baffle project
Price Range: FOUND
Item Condition: New or Used
Extra Info: Feel itchy to jump on the bandwagon and try OB project. Want to start with simple full range without any crossover. I have sub to supplement the bass. Prefer 10" or smaller units due to limitation of listening area. Would welcome finished product If you have built one already.
Prefer Melbourne pick up. Thanks.

 

 

Edited by Music & HT lover
Item found
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of mint Rola 12ux drivers which work well in open baffles.  I have a pair I use myself so you could hear them if you decided to go that way. 

These are a spare pair I have had and really they should find a good home. 

Problem may be I want $400 for the pair.

IMG20200501112942.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Colin Rutter said:

I have a pair of mint Rola 12ux drivers which work well in open baffles.  I have a pair I use myself so you could hear them if you decided to go that way. 

These are a spare pair I have had and really they should find a good home. 

Problem may be I want $400 for the pair.

IMG20200501112942.jpg

Thanks Colin for your offer. Will pass it as want

 To try smaller driver first. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of Hawthorne silver iris open baffle Drivers, only about 50 hours on them,  

Bought for the same reason you want. 

You can have them for $300 , has compression tweeter and xover Just need timber for baffle

Link to post
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, half baked said:

I have a pair of Hawthorne silver iris open baffle Drivers, only about 50 hours on them,  

Bought for the same reason you want. 

You can have them for $300 , has compression tweeter and xover Just need timber for baffle

Thanks for your offer. Will do some search on the model as I am a newbie in OB. Is it a 15" unit? Why is there "Compression tweeter" and Xover? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a guy here that has a pair if the Betsy 8" FR drivers for sale (you can see all about them on the Decware site) -  he  has a pair of ready built baffles too - well within your budget.  Excellent drivers with long track record.

 

I have a spare pair of the Audio Nirvana 8" FR available if you want to try them too.  They're new, but will just squeeze into your budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, half baked said:

I have a pair of Hawthorne silver iris open baffle Drivers, only about 50 hours on them,  

Bought for the same reason you want. 

You can have them for $300 , has compression tweeter and xover Just need timber for baffle

How can I contact you via DM? Somehow cannot find the DM button now

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HdB said:

There's a guy here that has a pair if the Betsy 8" FR drivers for sale (you can see all about them on the Decware site) -  he  has a pair of ready built baffles too - well within your budget.  Excellent drivers with long track record.

 

I have a spare pair of the Audio Nirvana 8" FR available if you want to try them too.  They're new, but will just squeeze into your budget.

 

Thanks for suggestions.

The Betsy has found a new home. Yes, it is this ad plus other forums made me want to experiment with OB.

I will do some search on your AN drivers first.

Link to post
Share on other sites


No problem!  

I have make some of those weird "lean fusers' (the equivalent of the Schroeder 1D diffuser) that are particularly useful with OB speakers - you can borrow some after we're allowed to move about again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Music & HT lover said:

How can I contact you via DM? Somehow cannot find the DM button now

Message sent 

 

9 hours ago, Music & HT lover said:

How can I contact you via DM? Somehow cannot find the DM button now

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Mark Audio 12P's in a OB with 2 x Visaton W300 woofer in a W and they sound AMAZING. These are my 5th iteration. All before have used different FR drivers Dayton Audio and Fostex.

 

The 12P has no baffle step or notch filter. All EQ was done with XO point set at 250Hz. 12P's are magnet mounted and baffle is isolated from driver.

 

Mark Audio can be purchased from a guy in Tassie the MA site should have a link. Not the cheapest FR driver but these speaker will go to the grave with me. You would be more than welcome to come and listen.

P_20200419_074924.jpg

P_20200419_121620.jpg

P_20200419_121508.jpg

P_20200419_121626.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice and sharing. I have never listened to any OB setup before. Just read the ad here and read some posts and found the concept interesting.

Would love to visit you one day when I go West!

Edited by Music & HT lover
Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...