"Quest" audio Rega upgrades

looks very interesting.

Visually it reminds me of the Project Experience turntables.

If you find out costs then i'd be very interested...especially the plinth for a 12" arm.

the actual plinth itself looks like it could offer some benefits...from what I can tell its similar to how a lot of Gerrard plinths are made. IF it kills off a lot of resonances would be definetly work a look in imo

It also looks like they offer an upgrade for every single part of the rega...wonder what the cost of an entire turntable would be using the Inspire parts. bundling a motor/plinth package could be a pretty cost effective way to take the planar 2/3 up a notch.

ps. maybe worth some extra consideration seeing how much these decks have depreciated recently...there was one in the classifieds for under $200...

Edited by heman_

now I read a rumour about the cheap crappy plinths on the P3, attributing to the sound characteristics and therefore should not be changed.

any truth to that?

these plinths look beautiful, surely would not be hard to knock up yourself in your own choice of wood?

The plinth on a Rega turntable is what makes it sound like a Rega and gives it that wonderful sonic impact that they have. I can't see the point in changing a plinth on one of their turntables as it will turn it into something completely different. If you want your Rega to not sound like a Rega then changing the plinth is an excellent way to go about it.

The plinth on a Rega turntable is what makes it sound like a Rega and gives it that wonderful sonic impact that they have. I can't see the point in changing a plinth on one of their turntables as it will turn it into something completely different. If you want your Rega to not sound like a Rega then changing the plinth is an excellent way to go about it.

I have so far changed about everything on my P3 in a quest for sonic bliss,,,so the issue with changing the "Rega" sound probably doesn't apply much to me.

The biggest issue I have with the Rega's is acoustic feedback or low freq vibes. Now I realise the ply plinth isn't going to make a day/night difference but its cheaper than pouring a concrete floor. They look half decent as well.

I agree that building a Rega plinth is probably one of the easiest for DIY, I reckon after you added material, time and tools costs you would be hard to beat the price of this one. Obviously not taking shipping costs into account (which I don't know yet).

well hopefully youre right. The rega is a good deck, sure, but i screeeam at mine to just give me MORE. especially on grittier, rawer recordings like the earlier leonard Cohen albums, or dirty garage rock. I just really want it to break out. Sometimes i wish it would quit being polite and just give me a real piece of it's mind. Now of course, these are the comprimises we make when settling for a planar 3 or the like, but since Im not going to be able to afford a the sort of turntable i want anytime soon (like a 401 or LP12), this could be just what i need.

If this could get a little more crunch and presence out of the deck, im all for it

I've received a reply regarding shipping costs. Quote was given at 90 pounds. This would bring the total for the plinth delivered in at A$430 (with the current exchange).

To have quest fit the upgraded Rega motor is an extra A$80 which is a good price.

Hmm, for that outlay I think a new cartridge would go further towards sonic bliss. Maybe I'll drop-in to Supercheap for a Router and grab some marine ply...

plinth on rega changes the sound signature considerably

my first tt was a moth all rega bits except plinth which was a heavier enclosed structure

this was an excellent tt but had none of what i later came to know as the rega vitality and impact

The moth had a harder darker more precisely analytical edge than my current standard, but fine tuned p2.

Rega plinth is key to their sound - Rega make and believe in light weight plinths with stiff skins and light internals - on newer higher end Rega's this plinth is smaller (with a semi detached suround) and has the "internals" machined into a complex pattern to lower weight and raise resonate frequency.

"heavy" plinths such as this one work the other way and lower resonate frequency and attempt to dampen that with weight and layer damping

Each method has it merits

But - keep in mind going this way you are in effect creating a whole different desgin - Rega have been perfecting theirs for years - Inspire for just a short while

For $430, if un happy with the Rega sound I would be moving on - $430 and sell second hand Rega

That or invest in a good rack / wall mount for the rega

Just my 2c

beware of excessive up grades to a tt the $$s add up.

the $s add up to more than the value of jumping a couple of levels to a much better tt

example visit the KABUSA technics 1200 mk2 website add up $s of all u can add to the tt add the original tt price {i have no idea of the answer].

compare this to yamaha mans gyrodec in sna classifieds

RESOLUTION buy the gyrodec and be happy and free from upgradeitis for 3-5 years with a quality tt that will outperform the technics by miles

i have no links to either 'seller'

I'm farely sure you could have something similar made locally for less money by someone like Aslan etc. I know i could knock out the plinth pretty easily on the CNC, but i have no idea where to start re: applying veneer.

I've actually considered in the past buying a cheap Rega and giving it the acrylic treatment from top to bottom...

well hopefully youre right. The rega is a good deck, sure, but i screeeam at mine to just give me MORE. especially on grittier, rawer recordings like the earlier leonard Cohen albums, or dirty garage rock. I just really want it to break out. Sometimes i wish it would quit being polite and just give me a real piece of it's mind. Now of course, these are the comprimises we make when settling for a planar 3 or the like, but since Im not going to be able to afford a the sort of turntable i want anytime soon (like a 401 or LP12), this could be just what i need.

If this could get a little more crunch and presence out of the deck, im all for it

If you feel your Rega is lacking in grunt and is polite then the last thing i'd look at changing is the plinth. I'd be looking at the cartridge or pre amp myself. I had a Planer 2 for 11 years and a P25 for 3 and the one thing they never lacked was impact and all out balls to the wall, in fact, when i put an Origin Live Silver Mk3 arm on the Planer Two i got a bit tired of its relentless energy.

When logic is added to the mix it tends to make you sit back with chin in hand:p

To tell you the truth, my vinyl rig is sounding the best it ever has ATM. The new amp and Nighthawk have done wonders. I suppose I get easily carried away when these aftermarket items show-up.

Its that look of a thick timber TT base that exudes performance with depth for the inexperienced.

My P3 runs a Micro Seiki CF-2 Tonearm fitted with a DL-160. I prefer the sound of this Arm over the Rega arm as its much more lively. I think the DL-160 is a great cart but the MS arm is very low mass and could benefit from a slightly higher compliance cart. Maybe this is the path I should be pursuing:confused: Just don't know where to start. DL-304, etc??

I also have the Groovetracer Platter and Sub-Platter fitted which was money well spent.:)

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC01&Category_Code=A3

High compliance for a MC - and "up front fast" sound & great value

Just a thought :)

When logic is added to the mix it tends to make you sit back with chin in hand:p

To tell you the truth, my vinyl rig is sounding the best it ever has ATM. The new amp and Nighthawk have done wonders. I suppose I get easily carried away when these aftermarket items show-up.

Its that look of a thick timber TT base that exudes performance with depth for the inexperienced.

My P3 runs a Micro Seiki CF-2 Tonearm fitted with a DL-160. I prefer the sound of this Arm over the Rega arm as its much more lively. I think the DL-160 is a great cart but the MS arm is very low mass and could benefit from a slightly higher compliance cart. Maybe this is the path I should be pursuing:confused: Just don't know where to start. DL-304, etc??

I also have the Groovetracer Platter and Sub-Platter fitted which was money well spent.:)