Just blew my first tube!

1 hour ago, lemarquis said:

Thanks @Sierra  I did power it up again with a replacement tube for 5 minutes and it was working but after the advice received here I took it out of rotation pending a check up. The previous owner also replaced a resistor apparently. Speculation of course, but is it relatively common for those things to fry? It may be a simple fix (just want a heads up so I don't get fleeced on repairs).

That rings alarm bells if the previous owner also replaced a blown resistor.
All the more reason to get it checked out as there could be an underlying issue causing resistors to fry.
No ... it shouldn't be common for anything to fry.

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77

I think Greg recommends a guy out near Paynesville for repair. He’s been good to me. 
Or Tony at Tivoli for valves 

4 minutes ago, Sierra said:

That rings alarm bells if the previous owner also replaced a blown resistor.
All the more reason to get it checked out as there could be an underlying issue causing resistors to fry.
No ... it shouldn't be common for anything to fry.

Thanks @SierraWell it lasted another 2 years at around 50 hours a week so hopefully not... but this will definitely be looked into.

2 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

I think Greg recommends a guy out near Paynesville for repair. He’s been good to me. 
Or Tony at Tivoli for valves 

Cheers Jake. I think Tivoli are pretty fair. Bought my 1st real system there in '88 from Dale Murphy and Phil Luder. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, evil c said:

It actually was the catalyst behind revitalizing my audio journey setting me on a new path! ?

In fact happened again several years later, funnily enough with another Meridian amp - and again undaunted I ended up on a new adventure indulging in even better gear!

Just adds to the whole experience.  ?

I know exactly what you mean. Funnily enough when re-installing the Vincent after the 'íncident' I made a variation to the isolation system and voila! The erstwhile beast has been significantly tamed. The Vincent has a very full sound and comes on early as they say.  Matched with the Eos Reference which have an equally 'big' sound it can overwhelm. Now it's much more civilised. Like so many things in this caper, I never would have stumbled upon that by any logical thought process!

3 hours ago, lemarquis said:

Thanks @Sierra  I did power it up again with a replacement tube for 5 minutes and it was working but after the advice received here I took it out of rotation pending a check up. The previous owner also replaced a resistor apparently. Speculation of course, but is it relatively common for those things to fry? It may be a simple fix (just want a heads up so I don't get fleeced on repairs).

I do remember my Melody needing a new tube and a resistor - tech stated common for the resistor to blow almost sacrificially to protect the greater circuit.

• Like 1