SOLD: FS: Custom speakers Seas , Alpair Aluminium drivers

SOLD
Item Condition: Very good
Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.
Suburb or Town: Glen Waverley
State: Victoria
Payment Method: EFT, Cash on pick up.
Reason for selling: NLR

Further information: NOW SOLD

These speakers were made by audio guru Doug Tipping for his own personal use.

Doug has extensive experience in crossover / speaker design and he told me utilise one of the best 8"woofers available in the Seas Aluminium.

Midrange is Alpair Gold Alumium drivers and Aura  metal Tweeters.

They employ passive radiator drivers below the woofers, and drive down very low to around 25hz, amazing bass punch and silky mids and highs.

Efficiency around 89db so will soak up the power and 100w min recommended.

I auditioned these against some expensive older B & W speakers, with the 800 series torpedo tune type tweeters - and this pair trounced them in performance.

In fact I haven't heard a better pair of speakers than these under $8k.

Many SNA members have heard these in the flesh and can vouch for their quality of sound reproduction. @betty boop @Anatoly Beaver-Hausen

I vowed to never ever sell them , however taking up too much room and would be better being played regularly by someone.

Cabinets are in reasonable nick, several layers of bituminized MDF were used so rock solid with zero resonance.

Front panels have been repainted and while reasonably tidy - in the long haul would be very easy to repaint them.

Good quality speaker gold plated connectors were fitted around 2 years ago.

Metal mesh covers are available for the tweeters and mids, (fitted) and easily tacked on or removed.

Happy to fire them up and give a brief listen, and due to their weight and delicate drivers  - are pick up only.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

20200526_153102.thumb.jpg.9fe425d6370a74319e1250ec9260d1d7.jpg

20200526_133015.jpg

20200526_133037.jpg

20200526_113527.jpg

15904749752228750539976819554791.jpg

Edited by evil c
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Spider27 said:

Looks great. May I know who is audio guru Doug Tipping? Is he member in StereoNet?

He is an active Melbourne audio club member, and has been a technician all his life.

4 minutes ago, mloutfie said:

I think I listened to this few years back. What kind of power needed to drive these? what's sensitivity?

Around 89db so plenty enough needed.

I've just fired them up with my Bryston 4B3 Power amp and they love it, sound very clean and no harshness whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, evil c said:

He is an active Melbourne audio club member, and has been a technician all his life.

Around 89db so plenty enough needed.

I've just fired them up with my Bryston 4B3 Power amp and they love it, sound very clean and no harshness whatsoever. 

I’ve heard them off the melody tube integrated Evilc has. How many watts are those ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, betty boop said:

I’ve heard them off the melody tube integrated Evilc has. How many watts are those ?

Yeah sounds very good with the Melody,  at 42w a channel. 

So they need 40w min. a channel with tubes and around 100w with SS amps.

Edited by evil c
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, misternavi said:

Can we get dimensions and roughly the weight? 

90cm high 35cm deep and 20cm wide.

Weight each 25kg.

Should add these are effectively sealed enclosures with new gasket material fitted to the rear panel which is screwed on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Great speaker built by a great man (actually one of my old electronics teachers back in the day).

And yeah these sound great and would satisfy most into high quality audio.

Why so cheap Evil?

I do have to clear with lack of space, and priced them to sell quickly. 

Non brand too but smart shoppers look beyond that! ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, myskylab said:

Just a bit to far unfortunately, hope they go to a good home ? 

Two well known names on the list with audition shortly tonight. ?

• Like 1

Is Doug Tipping the guy that built monitor speakers for the ABC? I  missed out on a pair of two ways speakers he built where I talked the owner into keeping them as they were so good and he was kind of reluctant to let them go in the first place.

Happy to give  these a tick. I enjoyed them on the end of Evils'  tubes a number of times. They really do produce music in a manner way, way above their asking price. If your taste is for the ' emotional' kick that comes with well recorded music, these do it very well. I enjoyed rock, symphonic, PROG, and a bit of Keb'Mo and they acquitted themselves totally. 

If your ears responds to the Duntech/ Whatmaugh palette, these are a good match.

( Also had the privilege of meeting Doug. Wonderful man)

Billy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allthumbs said:

Is Doug Tipping the guy that built monitor speakers for the ABC? I  missed out on a pair of two ways speakers he built where I talked the owner into keeping them as they were so good and he was kind of reluctant to let them go in the first place.

Would be as he did work for the ABC and a radio station.

Absolute legend in my eyes with his speaker design and voicing.

1 hour ago, Anatoly Beaver-Hausen said:

Happy to give  these a tick. I enjoyed them on the end of Evils'  tubes a number of times. They really do produce music in a manner way, way above their asking price. If your taste is for the ' emotional' kick that comes with well recorded music, these do it very well. I enjoyed rock, symphonic, PROG, and a bit of Keb'Mo and they acquitted themselves totally. 

If your ears responds to the Duntech/ Whatmaugh palette, these are a good match.

( Also had the privilege of meeting Doug. Wonderful man)

Billy.

Appreciate your endorsement Billy ! ?

• Like 1

Just now, myskylab said:

I don't see the sold sign up yet ?

I did put up sale pending - deposit taken! ?

You're fixating on the wrong ad BTW, gorgeous Conrad Johnson CA200 amplifier still for sale! ?

• Like 2